The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Would like some info on the spider gimmick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I have gone through all the posts on here and have checked all over the internet and I can't find anything describing the spider gimmick. I know that there is reference to a gimmick close to it in the book "Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks" by Keith Clark which I plan on buying soon. If anyone can give me any information or private message me about the gimmick I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks and take care,
Bry
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
This may not be the actual name for the gimmick. I was shown an incredible card producing gimmick quite a few years ago (well over 15 years ago), and the magician was calling it a 'spider gimmick'. So, with that said, that's what I've called it.

You will probably have to make on yourself, as I'm pretty certain that they are not on the market.

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Troy, thanks. Yes I've heard quite a few posters on here refer to the spider gimmick but after extensive research I have not come up with anything. Thanks for all of your help and your message the other day......

Take care, Bry
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
The spider gimmick for a coin can be found in much detail with several variations in Greater Magic. If you do not have that tome, do not go to sleep, do not eat, rush out now and find one. Break into your best magic friend's house if you have to. There are effects in there so old, they are new again.
David
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I found a picture on a website and was wondering if this was something similar to a spider gimmick.............

http://www.lybrary.com/index.html?goto=b......gic.html

Take care, Bry
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
The site isn't loading Smile Are you sure the link is correct?
Kevin
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21790 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It loaded okay for me. It is a picture from T. Nelson Downs Art of Magic Book.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Bill is this something similar to the wire card catcher that you made?........

Take care, Bry
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
It worked for me. Thanks Bry!
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
The link to the T. Nelson Downs gimmick loaded fine. I must say, that this is 'close' to what a spider gimmick for cards looks like. You're on the right track (notice the device is hidden as the fingers open!) Now, if you go back to a video of Peter Marvey's single card production, you just might see some 'similarities' as his fingers wiggle and stay open, then quickly snap closed for the card production.

For the coin production, as the fingers spread, the device sails back toward the wrist (it will do the same for cards, as long as they're not 'regular' thin playing cards.

Have Fun,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21790 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Never heard of the term 'Spider' gimmick. Where did you come up with this term? How did you even know to use this term, and if it is correct in the 1st place?

If we are back on the Marvey card production gimmick kick, why start a new thread when the other is not finished?

The Marvey gimmick is so simple it is not machanical at all. It is just a card catching gimmick, period. His model is no good except for very far away from your audience.

bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Thanks Troy.....

Take care, Bry
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
It is used to keep a rolled silk on the lapel and have it appear like a flower!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This lapel silk gimmick is easy to make as well. Just make sure that the ends of the wire are rolled under and around. This allows for the silk to come out easily without getting snagged.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21790 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Then you are speaking of the Norm Nielsen Rose to Silk gimmick.

http://www.nnmagic.com

His is the only gimmick that has the curved wires.

bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
We are not speaking of the rose to silk gimmick....

Take care, Bry
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21790 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2004-05-26 02:39, wmhegbli wrote:
Never heard of the term 'Spider' gimmick. Where did you come up with this term? How did you even know to use this term, and if it is correct in the 1st place?

Then please clairfy like I ask; we cannot help you if you do not provide the proper information.

Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Wmhegbli;

Please read all of my posts on this page, and you will know how I came up with the term 'spider gimmick'. Norm Nielson does have a flower-to-silk gimmick he is calling the 'spider gimmick', but this is NOT the same thing I'm referring to when using a card-catching device.

And, if I'm not mistaken, Peter Marvey's card producing gimmick is not as simple as you make it out to be. He is producing the cards with OPEN fingers, and I stress the fact that they are wiggling and open for almost the entire production sequence.

Also, this thread has, again if I'm not mistaken, always been about my original notation (many months ago), about Peter Marvey's card production method.

Take Care,
- - Troy
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
I second Troy. The name Spider Gimmick does exist and I have a faint memory of Stevens Magic selling one or maybe it was Owen Magic Supreme that had it. However Spider Gimmick does exist, but then I don't think Marvey's gimmick is all that complicated. I think it is simply a regular card appear gimmick modified to work in Black art lighting. I could be wrong.
Philipp K
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
228 Posts

Profile of Philipp K
I'm sorry to say that indeed you are wrong. Peter uses two different ways to spread his hands during his manipulation act. One "method" he uses are his great manipulation cards (wich I strongly recommend to everyone here). In this case the spread does use black art. But in the other case, and this is the method he normally uses, he uses his special gimmick. And I can tell you it is completely different than a regular "Card Catcher."

Hope that helps a bit
Philipp
Doc Brown : If you put your mind to it , you can accomplish anything .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Would like some info on the spider gimmick (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL