The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Suicide » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What problematic circumstances exactly?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
This is classic Murder on The Orient Express. More motives than suspects.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
the list of those implicated would be quite long and be more red and blue than most of us would want to believe.

My thoughts, too. As Mr. G. Carlin said, "It's a big club, and you ain't in it."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1796 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Having experienced extreme highs and lows in life, i.e. enjoying and abusing the VIP lifestyle, as well as being destitute and surviving in the dark underbelly of society, I can tell you with certainty that unspeakable things happen at both ends of the spectrum. Epstein’s habits and the services he provided are not as rare as one might imagine. It’s just a tragedy that he died before ratting on his many accomplices. Hopefully an honest investigation will reveal some of those culprits. But unfortunately when extreme wealth is involved, many facts tend to become blurred and obscured …
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Red and blue are okay guesses in the same way as cyan or magenta Smile Pecunia non olet Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well. That was ... informative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecunia_non_olet

Thanks.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
* sarcasm alert *
It's cute when a magician pulls a little silk from a dollar bill. But that's so impersonal.
How about borrowing a bill and seeing if it smells like how it was earned?
* okay end sarcasm - back the mystery of 'how the heck did that happen' *

At least in the Agatha Christie story the detective solved the crime.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1796 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

At least in the Agatha Christie story the detective solved the crime.

But the guilty party wasn’t always apprehended … in one of the Hercule Poirot stories he had to take matters in his own hands in order to mete out justice.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2019, landmark wrote:
I don't believe it for a minute.

Happens all the time.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not in the MCC. This is the place were El Chapo and members of the Gambino crime family were held. This is not a Barney Fife Mayberry jail.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In many ways you'd be shocked at the similarities.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well yes, I'll certainly grant you that incompetence and corner cutting is pretty endemic in most institutions. But the inmates aren't exactly going out fishing every day to catch Aunt Bee's dinner.

So I was curious about what the suicide rate was for the NY MCC, and I've discovered it's surprisingly difficult to find a confirmable number. I saw one comment on a forum which said there had only been one other suicide ever there--but until I see some other confirmation of that, I'm not going to accept it.

However the numbers that do look legit seem to indicate that the annual suicide rate for federal lock-ups over the past decade or so has been around 10-20 per 100,000 inmates (It's 3x higher in local jails). The NY MCC has less than 1000 inmates at any one time, but since lots of people come in and out, let's say 10,000 pass through a year. So based on the overall federal rate we might expect maybe one to two suicides a year. And let's be frank--there's probably a healthy percentage of jail deaths listed as "suicides" that are not suicides.

So, I'm going to stick with what I started with--an actual suicide at the NY MCC is a fairly rare event.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Fairly rare? Sure. I'll by that. And?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
That was in response to "Happens all the time."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Certainly it does not "happen all the time".

It is amazing what watching the partisan news (From either side.) can convince people of.

Guys my suggestion is to stop watching the news of any sort. You will be happier.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
I was listening to a Penn podcast the other day, and he talked about having gone on a "news diet" for a few weeks. If the results are as spectacular as Penn's food diet was for him, he may have something there.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, landmark wrote:
I was listening to a Penn podcast the other day, and he talked about having gone on a "news diet" for a few weeks. If the results are as spectacular as Penn's food diet was for him, he may have something there.

I hear he's already 10% more ignorant.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Unless he was listening to news you disagree with then he is more intelligent for stopping.

(Not you specifically, you generally.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Suicide » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL