The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help needed working kinks out of an effect I'm working on (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Drylid
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Seeking help from builders and DIY magicians with some feedback and/or any help or tips for an effect I'm building. Basing this around a library event I'm doing, the effect relies on Libriomancy, the ability to reach into a book and pull items from it out using imagination. Currently the effect is in its infancy and using hard cover books. The primary effect is almost mimicking the suitcase bowling ball, but having issues keeping the books strong. Needing to brainstorm with some fellow thinkers.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8506 Posts

Profile of funsway
"reaching in" implies that the book is face up and the insides somewhat visible - problems.

Could some items be "shaken out" with the book spine up? This could facilitate loads without physical book issues
as an alternative to the ones you have planned.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
460 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I've seen book safes for sale. Most are really well constructed, perhaps this could solve an issue?

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
Drylid,

If I remember correctly in the old book Dunningers Encyclopedia of Magic there is an effect for producing something from a book... also check the Tarbell books.

Hobby Lobby has boxes that look like books.

Good luck... take care,
Bruce
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of TomB
You can always cut pages out of a book to make for a pocket. What items are you pulling out? You can do a magic cane .
Have you seen Stuart Edge unlimited tacos magic trick on youtube?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2458 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Https://www.daytonamagic.com/shop/produc......rom-book

There are a couple videos online so you can see how it looks. Looks pretty good to me.
Drylid
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Thank you everyone for the ideas and research references. It is greatly appreciated! Smile
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
110 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
Can you put the book on top of a base of some sort and pull objects out of that?

One of the guys in my assembly has a stuffed fish he pulls out of a tackle box. I have a similar ball that expands.
Drylid
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Drylid
No, basically the idea is to have books hanging from inside of cloak *keep in mind this is a theme event for a library. If you google Libriomancer you will see the character I will be replicating. Anywhoozle, the idea was to just take a book, flip it open, reach in and pull an item out that is large enough to fit in the book. Same idea s the suitecase bowling ball with the M**h b**k and F**p. I just am having difficulty with the M**h not pulling to hard on the frame of the book I built and warping it.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1684 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Depending on what you are producing, there are a couple of methods. I’m sure you’ve already looked at spring flower/bills, sponge items, and so on. Another idea is to load the book like loading a live animal into a hat. By being able to set up a couple of loads behind a table, you could pull far more from the book than could have started in it.

For construction of the book, I would start by looking in the local used book store for a solid dictionary. Ideally, a volume of an encyclopedia (M for magic?), hollowed out. Those old encyclopedias had serious bindings. By hollowing and gluing pages, you get a pretty sturdy box once the glue is dry. A few pages left intact will make for good camouflage.

Just some quick thoughts.

Patrick
Drylid
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Thanks for the tip. I am currently building a prototype and will post a video of it in action soon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help needed working kinks out of an effect I'm working on (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL