The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Replacement bands for Lassen Peace Dollar G. Flipper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I was lucky to find a Lassen Peace dollar flipper second hand here at the Café after realizing that it's extremely difficult to actually buy anything from Todd himself.

The band seems fine but I want to make sure I have some if necessary. I may try the elastic replacement thing as well, but I'm still slightly afraid of the knots.

Anyway, are rubber bands for an internal groove dollar size GF 'standard' across makers? Or is each one different? Anyone know where I can get some for this one?

Also curious if anyone knows what kind of adhesive might be used on this.

Thanks
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Not sure bout the band size; but Lassen uses carpet tape not adhesive.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thank you, that's very helpful. Glad to know I won't have to be soaking it in solvent!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Yes double sided carpet tape works well. You can contact Todd and he will send some out or there is a posting about using elastic thread as a replacement. Not sure about sizes as they all could be designed a little differently.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I have emailed him a couple times and haven't got a response. Admittedly it was about a product question, so maybe I'll try a new email with 'replacement bands' as the subject.

And, yes also strongly considering giving the elastic method a try. Still a little nervous about getting the knots right.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
The elastic cording is the option to go. Use .4 or .5mm stretch magic elastic. Tie knot 3 times and ta-da! Also, hair braid bands work great!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks! I guess it's easy enough to redo if I don't get the tension perfect...

Okay I'll give it a shot.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I agree, the elastic jewelry cord is great!
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
Also a dab of superglue will always secure a knot
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2019, Poor dini wrote:
Also a dab of superglue will always secure a knot

Unless you are dealing with bargain basement gaffed coins, you do not want to bring super glue anywhere near your coins.
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
If you own a ngf bob specifically states a small about of superglue on the knot will secure it (at least in the triception video)
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
If you own a ngf bob specifically states a small about of superglue on the knot will secure it (at least in the triception video)

I don't care what it says in the video, I have seen numbers of expensive gaffs ruin because someone was not careful with superglue and got it on a part of a gaff where they didn't want it.

Do you think it's a good idea to secure a flipper to the host shell with super glue?

Well, there are folks who have done it, and they can barely remove the small piece.

It's my rule, I was offering it, do as you feel comfortable.
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
Wow, admittedly you seem that your rule should be universal? I too have a large collection (some workers and some are strictly collectors items) of coin gaffs from Lassen, van dukkem, Haden, Schoolcraft, Roy etc... so, needless to say, I have had my fair share of working with tiny and expensive parts of coins. if you were to watch or query into it more you would see the superglue goes no where near the actual metal or parts of the gaff minus the elastic itself. So, before you try to chastise someone for stating a suggestion directly from the guy who INVENTED the flipper, take a breath.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
In Inigo's repair document (posted in the 'turning a regular into a gravity flipper thread), he says also to use SG, BUT he makes it very clear to not do it anywhere near the coin and to make sure it's 100% dried before putting the elastic back in. Seems safe, no?

EDIT: Poor dini posted at the same time.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
Wow, admittedly you seem that your rule should be universal? I too have a large collection (some workers and some are strictly collectors items) of coin gaffs from Lassen, van dukkem, Haden, Schoolcraft, Roy etc... so, needless to say, I have had my fair share of working with tiny and expensive parts of coins. if you were to watch or query into it more you would see the superglue goes no where near the actual metal or parts of the gaff minus the elastic itself. So, before you try to chastise someone for stating a suggestion directly from the guy who INVENTED the flipper, take a breath.

I said it was my rule, for me, do what you want.
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
@last laugh...I’ve never had an issue and just treat your coins with love and care...usually when treated right no issues arise
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
You can get the elastic thread already knotted for both Silver dollar size and half dollar size from Schoolcraft. it is $10 for 2 of them and will save you the headache of trying to tie it.
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
Yes, Jamie has a very specific size of thread he uses for his also (it’s thinner than most stretch magic that I have found)
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2019, Mobius303 wrote:
You can get the elastic thread already knotted for both Silver dollar size and half dollar size from Schoolcraft. it is $10 for 2 of them and will save you the headache of trying to tie it.

Will the ones knotted from him fit my Lassen coin? I hear that they dislike each other, not sure if I should mention it, lol...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
I think that if you order from Jamie, he would be more open to receiving that question. Lassen not so much ha. Jamie is known to have a bit more professional customer service
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Replacement bands for Lassen Peace Dollar G. Flipper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL