The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi, my name is Mark, and I am addicted to magic... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I was once pinned "Magic Mark, the Gypsy Pirate" and I thought it was original and somewhat catchy... what do you think?

I am 18 and have been doing magic for nearly three years, and I have been compared to David Blaine. I am from a tiny tiny ranching community, however, so they haven't seen much magic; but still, I thought it was cool.

I'm not sure how this works. Do I just name off some tricks I know, and if anyone wants to know how one works, they exchange a secret of their own over email in return?
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
What part of New Mexico?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4732 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Welcome aboard! It's always nice to see new folks discover my little website. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Mark magic isn't just about tricks and how they are done. It is also about people. Entertaining them and other things.

Take the time to explore the Café. There are a lot of great magicians in here...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Café and it's nice to have you join us.

Here's how the Café works but you should also check the rules and regulations as I'll just answer the question you had. You can post anywhere you like - scroll down and you'll see the entire menu at the Café. Each has sub topics and I always suggest starting with a favorite or two to start as the Café can be overwhelming your first couple visits. Magic is discussed in general terms, no secrets are given until you reach the post count of 50. Post like "Cool" or "Me too" don't count towards your total as it's not really helpful and the Café motto is Magicians helping Magicians. (some forums don't count towards your post count so always a good idea to check rules)
When you reach 50 you will see another window opening which allows you into secret sessions where magic is discussed at a greater depth.
The New to Magic Forum is highly recommended as many pros offer assistance and you'll find many questions you have already being discussed. It also gives valuable information on what books or vids to purchase depending on where you interest in magic lies.
Gypsy Pirate..good name.
Have fun!
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
Thanks, and I am in as far south west New Mexico as you can get. Right in the "bootheel." About 20 minutes from the Arizona border and 20 minutes from the Mexican border.

I agree Bish. I love entertaining; I love the reactions. I once did my new and improved version of the quarter going in the sugar packet for an audience of about 300 that I didn't know I had until they all screamed and applauded. It was a rush. I really got into it after that and have been getting into the tricky stuff; 'healed and sealed soda can' is now one of my other non-card signiture tricks.
Magic Mark

Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
I used to live in Albuqurque. Are you closer to Deming or Silver City?
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
Closer to Silver.... about an hour and a half from there, which is a short drive actually. We are about 40 minutes south of Lordsburg, even, if you have heard of that.
Magic Mark

Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
I sure do know where that is. Welcome to the Café. I've been a member for only a short time, but have already met some great people.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-05-24 21:19, GypsyPirate wrote:

Closer to Silver.... about an hour and a half from there, which is a short drive actually. We are about 40 minutes south of Lordsburg, even, if you have heard of that.

I used to live in Alamogordo.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I am going to Alamogordo for four days as a counselor for a youth leadership conference. I attended myself two years ago, and have been going back as a staffer. This is where I first made a name for myself as a magician.

Starting in August, I'll live in Socorro. I just graduated, and I'll be going to New Mexico Tech.

And Wayne, I don't suppose you've heard of Animas? That's where I'm from, but it doesn't exist on any map or roadsign. It's 40 miles or so south of lordsburg.
Magic Mark

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Animas. That is in the middle of nowhere!

Where do you get your magic lol? The internet probably.
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
I've heard of it, just never been there. I used to take lots of trips to Socorro, Lordsburg and Alamogordo on business. Good luck to you at NMT.
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
The only magic I've ever bought is "healed and sealed," and yeah, I got it off the web. Everything else I've figured out. I got the David Blaine DVD of his TV specials, and put it on slow-mo and repeat and eventually figured it all out. Someone gave me that big ol' Mark Wilson book of magic, and between all the techniques I've figured out, I do pretty good. The only magic store I've ever been in is one in Boston, PA, while visiting family.

And yeah, Animas is the middle of nowhere. There were 28 kids in my graduating class... about 110 in the whole high school... it's a half hour drive to school from my house in Playas (you may have heard of Playas, it is the town that was for sell by Phelps Dodge, and bought by Homeland Security). I have to drive two hours to the store/movies/mall/wal-mart/you-name-it.
Magic Mark

sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2017 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Welcome to the Café. I am new here as a member, but not as a lurker! Smile 23 years of magic addiction here, and still counting...
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi, my name is Mark, and I am addicted to magic... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL