The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bicycle Cards- various types (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SDMoore1
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of SDMoore1
I am still learning cards. I have almost no interest in the variety of "special" collectors decks.

That said, I'm interested in learning more about Bicycle decks. May I kindly request someone to explain to me the differences in 808, 807, 809, decks?
Standard, Rider, Mandolin, Gold... I hear these terms tossed around casually, but am not sure of the specifics.
I'm guessing there is an existing thread about this, but could not find it. If there is, and someone could direct me, that would be great.

The bicycle (manufacturer) website was almost zero help.

Once we have the standard bicycles covered, perhaps you could advise me your favorite and why you like it.
I am thinking sticking with Bicycle makes sense, only because it is so familiar to everyone.

Thanks in advance for your advices.
Drylid
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Drylid
If you're just starting just use normal bicycle standards. Don't worry about anything else. Once you are ready move up to richard turner bicycle decks*gold seals*. They last like 5 times as long and are only a dollar more. Rider backs are what you usually see everywjere and is the angel riding bike. Mandolin is just different artwork on backs. The numbers I don't know but 808 is all I've ever seen. Blue seals are older cards *pre 2009 I think?* black seals are all you find in stores and are because the factory moved.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1358 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I've written a couple of articles about this which may help:

The Bicycle Brand: Is it worth getting a Bicycle deck?

Factors That Affect the Handling of a Deck

The short version is that all Bicycle decks are printed by the United States Playing Card Company (USPCC), and most of them have exactly the same card-stock, embossing, and handling qualities, with only some exceptions.

There may be some slight variations in back designs, cut (traditional or modern), and card-stock. But generally speaking you won't need anything else other than a standard deck of Bicycle rider-backs, which are the most common. Anything else is largely a matter of personal preference.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of TomB
The different numbers indicate when and where it was made. Each style box may have slightly different printing on them.

For the most part the cards are the exact same. There seems to be a question of the card stock being 300 or 325.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=8051.0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bicycle Cards- various types (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.47 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL