The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Endless Chain help please (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
I’m workingi on an Endless Chain routine based on the examples given by Johnny Thompson, Bobby Bernard and Phil Matlin on the Worlds Greatest Magic download. I have a problem with the NO WIN situation which doesn’t seem to be addressed on the download. In the attached photo the chain is set up for a no win case (prior to squeezing the chain in the middle to make the figure of eight) where the spectator should not win whether he puts finger in left or right hand loops. However, if he puts his finger in left hand loop and pulls the Chain from the point indicated by the yellow arrow, the chain is actually pulled through a loop and therefore catches on the finger. If the chain is pulled from any of the other lengths the chain does indeed not catch the finger.

Am I missing something? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Brian

Click here to view attached image.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
First of all, you are correct that pulling the chain from the spot indicated will catch the finger. You must pull the outer section of chain at the bottom left or bottom right corners of the layout in order to show the No Win situation. In most routines where the layout is on the table, the pulling is usually done from those spots in the layout for all of the Win or No Win situations.

If you're really interested in the endless chain, I'd recommend the School for Scoundrels book and DVD's. The various layouts are explained in detail.
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
Thanks NicholasD. As a result of your post I purchased the School For Scoundrels “Notes on Fast and Loose” by Whit Haydn. The issue I raised is dealt with explicitly under “Tying the Knot”. As I noted in my first post, this was not mentioned at all on the Worlds Greatest Magic DVD. I’ve got several of Whit Haydn’s publications and DVDs - they are always very clear and insightful.
Thanks, Brian
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2019, myshadow wrote:
Thanks NicholasD. As a result of your post I purchased the School For Scoundrels “Notes on Fast and Loose” by Whit Haydn. The issue I raised is dealt with explicitly under “Tying the Knot”. As I noted in my first post, this was not mentioned at all on the Worlds Greatest Magic DVD. I’ve got several of Whit Haydn’s publications and DVDs - they are always very clear and insightful.
Thanks, Brian

Take a look at Paul Vigil Pierri Penguin Live ACT. He has a different handling for the effect.
His win-win and lose-lose handlings are easy to do. Especially the win-win option compared to Chef Anton's.
Well, in my opinion, that is.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Marc DeSouza has a video of the chain and discusses all the throws. Disclaimer, haven't seen it in a long time.
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
Thanks Thomas for your suggestion
Brian
BradenCarlisle
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of BradenCarlisle
Paul Vigil also has some cool applications as mentioned by Thomas Walter. You can pull from the same spot every time and it's super awesome! It's the handling I use. You can find it on either his Penguin lecture, or email him to buy his lecture notes.
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
Where can I get this routine/instructions please?
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
Gary Ogden. As per my second post above . The School For Scoundrels “Notes on Fast and Loose” by Whit Haydn.
Brian
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2019, myshadow wrote:
Gary Ogden. As per my second post above . The School For Scoundrels “Notes on Fast and Loose” by Whit Haydn.
Brian

I can't seem to find this anywhere?
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2019, garyogden1957 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2019, myshadow wrote:
Brian

I can't seem to find this anywhere?

How hard did you look?
https://www.popsmagic.com/store/p50/Scho......let.html
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
Sarcasm
noun [ U ]
UK /ˈsɑː.kæz.əm/ US /ˈsɑːr.kæz.əm/

the use of remarks that clearly mean the opposite of what they say, made in order to hurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way:
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
I finally got my Endless Chain Routine book and made my own chain. I can't believe how old it is. Even on Scam School it goes back to Dec 2009.

https://youtu.be/76oq6xdm7io
vanp8
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vanp8
New Twist on A DEVILISH Classic! On You Tube.
It is a nice way to present endless chain routine. Recommends 4 phases. I've enjoyed on the Barrelhead since I read it in a book in 5th or 6th grade library in the 60's.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, garyogden1957 wrote:
I finally got my Endless Chain Routine book and made my own chain. I can't believe how old it is. Even on Scam School it goes back to Dec 2009.

https://youtu.be/76oq6xdm7io

The Endless Chain was first published in Stanyon's Magic in 1910. "Loopy Loop" by George Blake came out in the 1940's. My book, "The School for Scoundrels Notes on Fast and Loose" was published in 1998.
sgiandubh
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sgiandubh
SFS products are quality and super informative on the endless chain
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2020, sgiandubh wrote:
SFS products are quality and super informative on the endless chain

+1 here. Essential reading for Endless chain and 3 Card Monte too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Endless Chain help please (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL