The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What do you bring with you for a walk around routine? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mndude
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of mndude
How many tricks do you bring with you for a walk around routine? How many effects ricks do you do at a typical event?

Do you typically repeat many of these effects throughout the event for different small groups at the same event?
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Depends on the event.

Since I started back in the mid 90's I have always done sets of three or four and three or four sets of each. I always take something that I call a long reset with me for a VIP of the event. This could be the wedding party table, the CEO, or even a repeat guest at the restaurant. This would be something that can not be rest between tables and plays a little larger.

So I have between 10 and 17 effects 9 to 16 will be part of the strolling. From there that is really only a few props that I have on me, a deck of cards, some coins, some rubber bands, a couple of packet effects, a couple of safety pins and either something like sponge balls, carriage bolts and nuts or dental floss. Then I have a small bag, not a case not some large tote but a small bag that has a back up and the long reset effect.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Also, I write out each of my sets so I know what I'm doing when. It helps with the flow and it also helps with set up between effects.

Lets say I'm doing three card effects. One in each set. All four effects uses the four queens. two of them also use the four aces. First set, I go and do the one where I do in and pull our the four queens. Next set, I do the one where I openly show I need the four queens and the four aces. The last set I do, I openly show I have the four queens out but they do not know about the aces that are already set where I need them. When I'm done with that last set, I can move on and once again go fetch the queens and back into set one.

By setting my sets before hand, I can set up a flow like that and keeps me from having to do set up going from group to group or table to table.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8341 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, mndude wrote:
How many tricks do you bring with you for a walk around routine? How many effects ricks do you do at a typical event?

Do you typically repeat many of these effects throughout the event for different small groups at the same event?

A TRICK, somewhat like music, only exists while it is being performed, so, you can't bring TRICKS with you. You can bring the PROPS, with which you can do the TRICKS
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8341 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, mndude wrote:

A TRICK, somewhat like music, only exists while it is being performed, so, you can't bring TRICKS with you. You can bring the PROPS, with which you can do the TRICKS
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8341 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, Matthew Crabtree wrote:
Depends on the event.

Since I started back in the mid 90's I have always done sets of three or four and three or four sets of each. I always take something that I call a long reset with me for a VIP of the event. This could be the wedding party table, the CEO, or even a repeat guest at the restaurant. This would be something that can not be rest between tables and plays a little larger.

So I have between 10 and 17 effects 9 to 16 will be part of the strolling. From there that is really only a few props that I have on me, a deck of cards, some coins, some rubber bands, a couple of packet effects, a couple of safety pins and either something like sponge balls, carriage bolts and nuts or dental floss. Then I have a small bag, not a case not some large tote but a small bag that has a back up and the long reset effect.

An EFFECT is WHAT THE SPECTATOR PERCEIVES. You can't "have" 10 or 17 EFFECTS. You can have the PROPS with which you can perform 10 or 17 TRICKS. IF the PROPS are generic, like silks, cards, coins, or rope, etc, you could perform an "infinite" number of tricks!
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:

An EFFECT is WHAT THE SPECTATOR PERCEIVES. You can't "have" 10 or 17 EFFECTS. You can have the PROPS with which you can perform 10 or 17 TRICKS. IF the PROPS are generic, like silks, cards, coins, or rope, etc, you could perform an "infinite" number of tricks!

Not really. I would rather know and perfect 20 or so effects than know an "infinite" number. To quote the late Eugene Burger, "If I could get my list down to 18 I could be a star." TO be honest I could do a two hour party with just five effects.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have done a 30 year career with about 20.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
163 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Kind of like the old yarn where the eager young magician tells the wise old pro,"I know 100 tricks" and the old pro says "that's pretty good, I only know 8"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It will probably always be so.

I was fortunate in that I never did magic as a hobby. It has always been a source of income and nothing more. So I always had small numbers of effects. Constantly changing an audience helps also. No need for hundreds of effects when you have a new audience every night.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 23, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
It will probably always be so.

I was fortunate in that I never did magic as a hobby. It has always been a source of income and nothing more. So I always had small numbers of effects. Constantly changing an audience helps also. No need for hundreds of effects when you have a new audience every night.

Over the last 25 years I have a had a core of like 15 effects I have down cold. I have added and removed a number of effects over the years so it hangs around 20 or so in my working tool box. I like doing old magic. The reason I will rotate out and effect is it gets released as a download and everyone is doing it. So, I go back to the books and magazines and add something new in.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3165 Posts

Profile of warren
I was booked for a wedding last Saturday and all but two of the effects I have performed for years. The main reason for this is simple I have found what works and plays well for me personally, the lessen is rather than always looking for the next miracle hone what you already have after all it's not about how many effects you know but how many effects you can actually perform in an entertaining manner.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1055 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I would say, on average, not counting all the card tricks I can do with a regular deck, I do about 6 different tricks in an evening. That's just an average.

1 or two coin tricks.
a set of ropes for Richard Sander's fiber optics
a deck of cards
my packet trick wallet

There are many factors to think about. It Depends on the event and wardrobe requirements. If you're outdoors on a hot summer day, you'd better not wear a suit jacket, so you'll have fewer pockets. a vest, or waist coat is useful in such situations. Bring as much as you can without over stuffing the appropriate wardrobe.

Other factors: How many people, how many tables, how close are people? If it's a smaller party and everyone's in a tight area, you'll need more effects. If you're working a big room with lots of tables and lots of attendees, you can get away doing the same tricks at almost every table. Usually you only need to do 2 or 3 tricks per table. A regular deck of cards can give you hundreds of different tricks. Your breast pocket of your coat, or your shirt pocket can contain 2 or 3 effects easy. I have two packet tricks, extreme burn and a special gaffed $20.00 bill in my shirt pocket - that's 3 tricks right there!

If you have an affair that requires more effects, avoid bulky pocket space sucking tricks like sponge bunnies. But, sponge bunnies or sponge balls are strong effects so it's a good choice if you're performing for a larger crowd. one pants pocket can contain a coin purse, color changing knives, a thumb tip or dye tube. You can also use your back pockets for larger loads like jumbo coins, or professors nightmare.

It's ok to have a close up case, or a small bag to carry around - as long as you have a convenient private place to re-set, refresh or change out tricks.

Rule of thumb, have as much diversity as you can so you are able to adapt to any unforeseen situations you were not warned about. You don't have to carry it all on your person - have some extra props handy, off in some staging area or in your car. I usually have some larger stand up effects on hand (in my car) in case I was misinformed by the client, and find myself working in more of a parlor or even stage situation - it happens!

Some other thoughts: are you going to be performing in a poorly lit area, or a noisy room with a loud band playing? That will affect your choices. I have a hat with a spotlight on it. works great when working receptions with low lighting. Be ready to perform with very little patter.

Finally, as it has already been mentioned, and it should go without saying you should only bring your "A" material.. Less is more if you do it well.

Hope these thoughts help you prepare. Have fun! I love doing strolling magic.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Doric
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Doric
I take 9 tricks out with me. That's broken down into 3 sets of 3.
Things I use include:
Cards
Sponge balls
Paddle
Coins
Ring and string
Thumb tip
Mini chop cup
Dice
Packet tricks
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
My A game set has a packet, money and bands.

For extras I have any card, rope.

For special guests I have rfr and wallet.

(Sanders has given me allot of tools. I have a dif style, but yeah, you know. )
Chamberlain
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Here's what I carry

Left Trouser Pocket - Invisible Deck/Coin Purse
Right Trouser Pocket - Sponge Bunnies

Left Jacket Pocket - Omni Deck
Right Trouser Pocket - Standard Deck

Left Inside Jacket Pocket - Extreme Burn/Sharpie (Sanders Remarkable)
Right Inside Jacket Pocket - Phone/Packet Wallet

Left Back Trouser Pocket - Cardtoon
Right Back Trouser Pocket - Wallet (Real Mans - contains Wonderland Bill/MagiCard)

Packet Wallet Contains
-3 1/2 Clubs
-Spin Doctor
-Bigger Finish
-Corner of Piccadilly

^ I might leave out cardtoon/packet wallet/omni for larger events when they aren't needed.

My standard strolling repertoire: (generally do 5 or so effects in an average set)

Extreme Burn
Invisible Deck
Crazy Mans Handcuffs
Sponge Bunnies
Shell Coins Across
Digital Force Bag
Chicago Surprise
Diminished Most Likely
Multiple Selection w/ Back in Time for last Card
Ambitious Card > Wallet/Omni
Cardtoon
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8341 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
[quote]On Aug 22, 2019, Matthew Crabtree wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:

Not really. I would rather know and perfect 20 or so effects than know an "infinite" number. To quote the late Eugene Burger, "If I could get my list down to 18 I could be a star." TO be honest I could do a two hour party with just five effects. [/quote

Matthew! Why do you think that I put " " around INFINITE? Sheeesh!!

In my 45 minute school assembly program, I don't think that there are 12 tricks!!! Gene was my very good friend,
M
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To me there is so much more to an effect than simply learning the mechanics of how it is done. The "why" you are doing certain things takes a long time to figure out.

Also doing it for people gives you different beats that suit who you are. It is not something you just get immediately.

I was once told we learn our craft from each other, and our art from our audience. If I was to keep changing effects I would never be able to get to the "art" of magic in my work.

Mind you I am speaking of me, not anyone else. Everyone has their own way and things they do that work for them and it is right for them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8341 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
To Matthew Crabtree.....

(see your last post)...I have "perfected" about 15 TRICKS, NOT EFFECTS, in the last 50 years. They have helped make my living, in that time, performing coast to coast, and border to border.

I have worked hospitality suites, and corporate parties with just 3 tricks! (PROPS: 2 18" silks 3 pieces of rope, & 2 golf balls.)
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1251 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
My bare bones "go to gig bag" for festivals contains:

A few decks of cards (I have cards signed and let people keep them, so the length of the gig determines how many decks I'll take with me.)
A Sharpie.
A JOL card to wallet wallet
Turbo Stick
Dry erase marker
2 foot piece of yellow rope.
Small insTand table with closeup pad. (for when I can use it which is pretty often)
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What do you bring with you for a walk around routine? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL