The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Question about Mnemonicosis (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwatch_22
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Darkwatch_22
When performing Mnemonicosis, I've developed personal 'spellings' that are good to work the way to the spectator's card no matter the number distance. However, one number I've had trouble with is 1, if the cut has overshot by 1 card (i.e. the selected card is one off from the face up pile). If it's the next card in the face down pile it's easy to say that they've cut straight to the card, or if it's the face up card itself you can say the same thing. However, if it's one away from the face up card that's where I have issues with patter, especially because there's nothing you can spell with just one letter. I was curious what some of you guys who perform mnemonicosis say when the card is in this position. Thanks in advance.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
314 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
There is an amazing thread in secret sessions that gives spellings for every position in the deck(for the most part) its something good to memorize as a potential failsafe.

Other strategies can be to get rid of cards by burning them ala Texas Hold Em. Similarly in some situations you can burn the top and bottom cards into the middle of the deck(guiding them to place it beneath the cards to be dealt.

Remember Tamariz for the most part gives every out you’d need in Mnemonica. If you follow this route you just have to script it so the dodges arent hokey.

PS Any way to have the IOS keyboard use apostrophes that work within this forum? :/
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
181 Posts

Profile of langston3711
It's definitely not an ideal situation as I always would like to remain completely hands off when performing this trick, but in this rare scenario I usually be sure to show my empty hands then pick up the face up pile and perform an Erdnase color change of the face card to reveal their named selection.
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
Fredzik
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Fredzik
This is not a spelling out, but you can always ask the spectator to deal 2 or 3 cards and force the targeted one with a magician choice.
You can then recap: "Remember, you cut a chunk of cards, you spelt your first name and arrived to these 3 cards, and finally chose only this one ..."
That can be efficient.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1457 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, JBSmith1978 wrote:
There is an amazing thread in secret sessions that gives spellings for every position in the deck(for the most part) its something good to memorize as a potential failsafe.

Other strategies can be to get rid of cards by burning them ala Texas Hold Em. Similarly in some situations you can burn the top and bottom cards into the middle of the deck(guiding them to place it beneath the cards to be dealt.

Remember Tamariz for the most part gives every out you’d need in Mnemonica. If you follow this route you just have to script it so the dodges arent hokey.

PS Any way to have the IOS keyboard use apostrophes that work within this forum? :/

Any idea what that thread is called? Sounds great
holdingoutflat
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of holdingoutflat
I've always found that between equivoque, estimation cutting (by the spectator), and just general presentation that you could find better ways than spelling names to get to a card. That's just a personal opinion though - I don't like spelling effects at all.
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
This happens to me more often than I'm happy with. I perform mnemonicosis more than any other trick I do with cards, so I've learned how to work my way out of a jam.

So say they've picked the jack of clubs (36) and they cut between the 7 of Spades and 10 of hearts (so ten of hearts is face card and 7 is face down. The desired card is one behind the face card)

1. Boring way, not hands off: Pick up top packet, face up, perform a color change. POOF! It's still very impressive because it's not a color change to a random card, it's the named card and this is the only time you're touching the deck.

2. My preferred way: ask them to hold the top packet face down and deal three cards off the bottom. Equivoque the middle card.

3. Ask them to do it again with fewer cards. I know it sounds lame, but it really plays. There's a great Peter Turner line where he asks spectators to guess something. And, without blowing his method, he points out they made the decision quickly. Maybe think it through again. Replace the packet. Really focus on the card you named. Try cutting it again, this time, believing you're cutting to the card you named.

4. My second preferred method: Spread top packet face down and remove the bottom card, claiming "we've already seen this one. I'd like you to only work with cards you haven't seen" or some such. Then square up and criss-cross force

Hope this is helpful! It's important with mnemonicosis to be calm and trust you'll get there. People have no idea it's possible or practical to memorize a whole deck order. You can also bail out. I do that sometimes if they're way off. I turn it into a prediction and save the call card for the next effect.

For example, you name the king of spades or something but you cut deeply into the deck. I may say something like, "Ok, take the cad you've cut to, but don't look at it." Taking the deck back, I can cut the King of spades to the top and palm it. I can then predict the card they cut to and then pull the king out of my pocket and put on the table. "Earlier I made a prediction that you may not believe. And now I'll make another. I believe you cut to the Ace of Diamonds. And earlier, you asked for the King of Spades. Turn the two cards over"
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
181 Posts

Profile of langston3711
Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of eric6
Hello dclxvinyc
PMed you Smile
Best
Eric
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1008 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Just ask, "1 or 2?"

If they say 1.

Just one? Are you sure?
Okay, take one more card off the top.
(They have arrived at their card.)

If they say 2.

Two? Are you sure? You want it to be the 2nd card?
Ok, count down to the 2nd card.
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd

Preshow Announcements Sample & INSTANT DOWNLOAD

Rindercella Story

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Question about Mnemonicosis (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL