The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Review of Timeline by Patrick Kun and Marc Kernstein (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
What is it?

Timeline is an app that allows the magician to make it appear that time is moving forward or backward any number of minutes you or your spectator would like. Here's the description in Apple's App Store:

"Simulate having time run backwards on your command - TimeLine lets you apparently reverse time!

TimeLine can be used as a stand alone effect, or is perfect when used in conjunction with any time plot in magic including triumph, out of this world, torn and restored, predictions, deja-vu, and more!

TimeLine comes with lots of options and settings, as well as a video tutorial by Patrick Kun."

Is it worth $34.99?

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: I will buy anything with Marc Kernstein's name on it. His track record with apps is second to none. I am an amateur magician who performs for friends, colleagues, and occasionally strangers. I have fully embraced Andy's philosophy of social magic, a philosophy which he espouses at thejerx.com. In a recent post Andy talked about how much stronger magic is if the premise surrounding a trick is introduced first then the magic becomes stronger. You can read that post here: http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2019/8/18/th......oduction

One of the most interesting premises for magic is that of time travel. As our technological capabilities continue to increase at hyper-speed, the idea of time travel is becoming more and more "realistic" (note: I'm not arguing that time travel is or is not possible, but that the idea of time travel is becoming more interesting as we keep pushing the boundaries of technology).

As a stand alone trick, I don't this app has much use beyond a stage performance and would not make a good purchase for an amateur performer. However, as an added convincer of time travel within the presentation of a trick about time travel, this app is solid gold for the amateur performer.

Andy has a trick called "Hallmark" in his book The Jerx Vol 1 which is a torn and restored card effect. The timeline app has already given me a tremendous idea of how to combine Andy's effect and the app to create something truly cool.

So, if you're looking for a new trick, then I would pass on the app. However, if you're looking for a really cool tool that can sort of hide in the background then this is outstanding. I think the less attention you draw to what's happening the stronger this becomes. In the explanation video Mr. Kun mentions you can use between 1-10 minutes. To my delight, this is not true, you can use any number of minutes you'd like (I even tried to use 1441 minutes to see if the date would change...it didn't). Obviously it's going to be much more difficult to suggest it's 8:30 pm when it's 3:30 and still light outside but I'm glad there isn't an arbitrary limit on the minutes beyond what a presentation will bear.

Obviously if this app could also change the spectator's phone time that would be amazing, but that function does not currently exist. Another nice add would be if you could have a timed delay of more than 3 seconds after activating the app. Though I have no idea if these things will be addressed in future updates, I know that Mr. Kernstein will continue to update the app as he has done so with all of his previous works.

Overall, I love this thing, but I repeat my warning of note using it as a standalone trick as I think it turns what could be a real mind screw moment into just a semi-interested shrug.

Side note: If you're interested in time travel, this website makes for fascinating reading: https://www.timetravelfund.com/ (Yes, I'm a member of the fund)
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
And within days Marc has already updated the app with a slight visual redesign and the option to have the delay timer up to 10 seconds. Impressive.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I'm assuming it's only for iOS?
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
I like the idea to use it in the context of a triumph routine. But I can’t justify $35 to only slightly enhance a card trick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Review of Timeline by Patrick Kun and Marc Kernstein (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL