The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do I hat a small group (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

illusionsfortheblind
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of illusionsfortheblind
Let's say it's a slow day and you stop a group, 3 people, a few people stop but don't stick around. By your last trick it's just the main group of 3. What hatline do you give, or any at all? Do you assume theyll tip you without saying so, do you drop a subtle hint, or do you give your normal hatspeech as you would for every show?
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1301 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Never assume they know how to pay. Always do a hat line. Yes I tune it down a bit, but still point out no one pays me to be here apart from you. You may also want to consider have a tip bowl out and run a trickle. Quite days I do 5 tricks a on repeat. And after every 2 effects I point out the tip bowl.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
If you're good and you connect with them...you often don't need a hat line. They will want to give you $$$.

To solict for cash directly with only 3 people....comes off a bit as begging.

It sounds like perhaps the area you are working might not be so great.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1907 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
The less people there are, the more awkward the speech. I have "levels" of hat lines depending on how invested the audience is, ie: if they don't really care about what you are doing, they are not going to tip you anyway so there is no need to ask.

For small groups where hatting is awkward, "borrow a bill" ... tell them you will show them a trick, and give it right back to them. Then show them a trick, and give it right back to them. If it was a good trick and you did a good job, they will most likely give it back to you for one simple reason: it is more work to put it back in their wallet than it is to hand it back to you ... people are just lazy like that.

If you don't think that works then do this to prove it to yourself: when someone is about to put a dollar in your tip jar, tell them they don't have to ... if their wallet is still in their hand they will more likely put it back in their wallet, but if you wait until after they put their wallet back in their pocket they will more likely just put it in your jar anyway ... I've done this long enough to tested that out and know it is truth.

I think I even mention in my Crowd Goes Wild lecture to wait for people to put their wallet away before you tell them "oh that's okay, there is no charge today" ... they go ahead and tip, and everyone that heard me say that sees them, and they all start going for their wallet too. If I didn't put that in there, I should have. Smile

http://magicjoint.com/pages/magic-shop/t......d-promo/

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
D. Yoder
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
My tip box has a sign that says, "Thank you for supporting the Art of Street Performing." The sign on my table has Paypal and Venmo info. Other than saying something about this is how I make my living, I don't hat small groups when I am working a trickle.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2695 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had a hard nosed cop once. My agreement with the city stipulates "no direct solicitation for funds." He claimed my having written; "thank you" on the bucket constituted a direct solicitation! Some days you can't win.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
I had a hard nosed cop once. My agreement with the city stipulates "no direct solicitation for funds." He claimed my having written; "thank you" on the bucket constituted a direct solicitation! Some days you can't win.


I had a similar experience once--only I had the word "contributions" written on my tip jar. After a cop informed me that that single printed word still constituted solicitation in his view (and wasn't allowed), I simply taped a five dollar bill on the front of the jar in place of "contributions". That worked!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2695 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Clever!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
bcstoner
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of bcstoner
Some cops just don't understand. Fact of life.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2695 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2019, bcstoner wrote:
Some cops just don't understand. Fact of life.


To be fair, some cops see their job as keeping the street traffic (vehicle and foot) moving smoothly. Any thing that might effect that, threatens their viewpoint. Depending on how narrow their viewpoint is, effect their response.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
J Burke Whittaker
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of J Burke Whittaker
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2019, noland wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
I had a hard nosed cop once. My agreement with the city stipulates "no direct solicitation for funds." He claimed my having written; "thank you" on the bucket constituted a direct solicitation! Some days you can't win.


I had a similar experience once--only I had the word "contributions" written on my tip jar. After a cop informed me that that single printed word still constituted solicitation in his view (and wasn't allowed), I simply taped a five dollar bill on the front of the jar in place of "contributions". That worked!


Do you live outside the US? Seems to me if not your constitutional rights may be being violated. No local ordinance can supersede the Constitution of the United States. Just a thought...
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2019, J Burke Whittaker wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2019, noland wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
I had a hard nosed cop once. My agreement with the city stipulates "no direct solicitation for funds." He claimed my having written; "thank you" on the bucket constituted a direct solicitation! Some days you can't win.


I had a similar experience once--only I had the word "contributions" written on my tip jar. After a cop informed me that that single printed word still constituted solicitation in his view (and wasn't allowed), I simply taped a five dollar bill on the front of the jar in place of "contributions". That worked!


Do you live outside the US? Seems to me if not your constitutional rights may be being violated. No local ordinance can supersede the Constitution of the United States. Just a thought...


The incident I described (cop objecting to the word "contributions") occurred in Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia, USA. The city has since relaxed the enforcement of some of its restrictions, including the foregoing one. You're right--the First Amendment right to free speech would seem to apply here. The problem when confronting cops enforcing local ordinances restricting speech, is the cops have the power. Of course, if you are prepared to fight them in court, maybe by enlisting the ACLU, you may prevail. But this isn't a quick or easy thing to do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do I hat a small group (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL