The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » I am new, nice to meet you all (From UK) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike.Bonner
View Profile
New user
Gloucester, England
10 Posts

Profile of Mike.Bonner
Hello everyone,

My name is Mike. Of course, I am new here.

I saw a video of Dai Vernon who said that he was 78 years old and had been studying magic for 72 years. He adds with comedy (and likely seriousness knowing how devoted he was to the craft), that he wasted the first 6 years of his life. Magic found me at a difficult period in my life (November 2018), but during this time it gave me joy and a sense of healing. In some ways, I feel too old to be dedicating my spare time (I'm 30), knowing that I have so much to learn and master, what I could have been learning so many years before. However, with not even a year in to reading, practicing and studying magic; I remain passionate and driven to improve my magic and in the words of Michael Vincent 'leave the craft better than I found it'. I have been learning magic from books (Expert Card Technique and The Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard and Braue., The art of magic and sleight of hand by Nicholas Einhorn., Expert at the card table S.W Erdnase., and Modern Coin magic by BOBO). It is easy to get lost in this material, and in some ways forget that magic is not about the method (although does require practice and skill).

One of my favourite performers is Whit 'Pop' Hayden. I came across Pop as one of the first tricks I learnt was the Chicago Opener (which is usually credited to Frank Garcia, although, I do believe earlier paternity of this effect dates back to Al Leech). I have been attempting to improve on this trick as the second phase didn't feel to me to be strong in its method (from a spectators perspective). I thought rather than trying to learn a million different tricks, I would work on a few and pay attention to all the finer details that need to be considered in creating magic. What I noticed about Whit's routine was that he not only improved upon the second phase, but he created an 'out'(which I later bought his DVD and manuscript to find out how to execute), that completed the trick in a wonderful way. What I love about Whit’s performances is not just his humour and character, but that he takes classic magic and you can how he has been influenced by his predecessors. For example, how Slydini will always ask questions and how Vernon encourages us to give a reason for everything we do. This is demonstrated in all the he does. Which he does with humour, grace and completely cleanly. My version of the Chicago Opener is not the same as Whit’s. I am still trying to find what works for me (I have worked on a version which involves a card to wallet ending, but I do wonder if this is too much).
I work as a mental health nurse in a child and adolescent mental health service. I have been overjoyed to be able to demonstrate a version of this trick with a patter about change to the young people I meet at work. It serves as a great ice breaker or way to become more human after difficult sessions that we have. I have recently been asked to perform at a friends wedding. I focused on a few tricks: Chicago Opener, Two Card Transposition, A vanish using the Nest of Wallets, and a Phantom Deck trick. It was such an honour to perform on this occasion. I was overwhelmed by the positive response, but also learnt a lot about misdirection and slowing down. I know I am amateur at best, but I am keen to have the opportunity to meet with other magicians who love and understand the craft; to learn from and consider how I can continue to grow in my quest to better my performances and the craft of magic.

It's lovely to meet you all.

Kind Regards,

Mike
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of TomB
Mike,

Welcome to the Magic Café forum.

That is a great and clear introduction. As long as you have wonder in your heart, you are still young. Your influences are top notch and are on a great path. Some guys spend years spinning their wheels.
You have come in with the right direction and energy. I also love the Erdanese book. I believe Dai Vernon is the most influential magician of the 20th century. I also think Pop Haydn is truly great. For the general public, they are missing out. Watching his performances is true brilliance, and feel very blessed that we can read his thoughts on various subjects. You will find a lot of other magicians that are like minded people that can help improve your skills.

Keep up the good work.
Mike.Bonner
View Profile
New user
Gloucester, England
10 Posts

Profile of Mike.Bonner
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I didn't know if anyone would respond, so it is great to hear from you.

I look forward to chatting with everyone and learning more, maybe even sharing a thought or two!

All the best,

Mike
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
Welcome to the forum!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Mike.Bonner,

I started late in Magic (@24) compared to my partner Tom who started at 4.

41 or so years later it doesn't seem to matter much.

Enjoy the journey.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » I am new, nice to meet you all (From UK) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL