The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Starting Late! (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

angelofioren
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of angelofioren
Hi!

At 41, I decided to go back to learning card magic. A few months ago after my 10 year old daughter started showing an interest and I pulled down Expert Card Technique and The Encyclopedia of Card Magic from my shelf for her. I showed her the few card controls I knew and remembered how much I enjoyed it so I've started having fun practicing tricks again. We even took a trip to a nearby magic shop in Montreal (Magie Spectram) and that was fun for the both of us.

When I stopped 20 or so years ago I decided to concentrate on music, so I was pleasantly surprised that my finger strength from playing piano and guitar translates nicely to card sleights.
In that last few months I've picked up all five volumes of Card College and read through the first four and I am halfway through number five, noting which tricks and sleights I want to learn and then revisiting them. I also just picked up a copy of Mnemonica, and I am really enjoying all the amazing things that book holds.

Once I noticed registration opened up for this forum, I decided to join since there's so much amazing information here.

Thanks!
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Hi angelofioren,
Welcome to the Magic Café forum. My favorite person to show tricks and teach magic to are my daughters.

You are lucky that you got good "finger dexterity".
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome angelofioren,

And welcome back to Magic.

I love hearing that you are sharing Magic with your Daughter and that you are supporting a Brick and Mortar Magic Shop. Brick and Mortar Stores offer support and live information that online stores can't. We will all regret it if they are all lost. (Shout out to my local Sacramento Magic Shop GRAND ILLUSIONS.)

My Mentor made a point of seeing that I did a reasonable job of one trick before he gave me info. on another. This keeps a beginner from knowing too many secrets before they can go anything in performance (which can make a Student jaded) and it makes them work for it. That sense of ownership helps the interest stick.

Best of luck to you both!

-Mary Mowder
angelofioren
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of angelofioren
Thanks for the encouraging words!
bcstoner
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of bcstoner
Welcome!

You'll find that magic is much more fun now that you're older. One of the main reasons for me is the fact that paying for all of these things as an adult is so much easier.

One bit of advice - don't go too crazy in the shops. I jumped in and bought a ton of stuff and now it's almost overwhelming. But I'm just going slow and trying to just learn one thing a day/or week. Much easier this way.

Good luck and have fun!
angelofioren
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of angelofioren
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2019, bcstoner wrote:
Welcome!

You'll find that magic is much more fun now that you're older. One of the main reasons for me is the fact that paying for all of these things as an adult is so much easier.

One bit of advice - don't go too crazy in the shops. I jumped in and bought a ton of stuff and now it's almost overwhelming. But I'm just going slow and trying to just learn one thing a day/or week. Much easier this way.

Good luck and have fun!

You're absolutely right! With all there is to learn in the books I have already, I'll be busy for a while. I also have a Genii subscription and with the access to all the past issues, there's pretty much more than I could ever read. I'm doing my best to pace myself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Starting Late! (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL