The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Something to ponder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
The routine description of "Tin Cup" includes the line --

"Magic does not occur by chance or connivance or ‘the right gimmick’. It results from creating conditions where the impossible is expected and desired."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of TomB
Not sure what 'Tin Cup' is. Magic can happen at any time without it being expected. Carbonaro does this wonderfully.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
Yes, in the greater sense of magic all around us (hence my sig line),
but in performance magic, the spectator response of "must be magic" rarely occurs without expectation and experience.

to happen "without being expected' in a routine as another matter. I suggest the audience did expect it, just did not know where or when.

Tin Cup is a single cup routine, not marketed, just shared in a beta process.

You may have experience with "may happen at any time" - please expand.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of TomB
For those of us not initiated, do you have a link to a performance. I was unable to find it on YouTube.

I agree that "may happen at anytime" means pay attention, and the suspense before it happens is very important.

I really liked Paul Daniel's Vanishing Birdcage which the suspense probably felt like an eternity to the audience.

Certainly having a drum roll means magic is about to happen.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
Not on Youtube and never will be, I hope. No initiation required - just a desire to do magic and not tricks.

I posted this for the message, not interest in the effect. Based on feedback from folks around the world, I may or may not publish it.

TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of TomB
This post is going to be hard to follow unless you are part of the beta process. I do not need to know the method of magic to follow along, but a reference to the effect would help.
If this is a ball and cup routine, I can only assume the effect is a vanish or appearance.

My question is when in the routine is this statement made to cause maximum suspense?

Is this done as the grand finale after the audience is already hooked? With the announcement do you have any hand gesture with audience involvement (ie hand gesture with command to ooh and ahhh)?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
The post is very easy to follow. It is about an attitude about performance magic. Please forget I even mention any specific effect.

It is part of the explanation of the ploys and subtleties involved. It is not part of any script, nor "statement made" as part of an effect.

I will try again ...

I wrote this line and later realized it makes a statement about how I feel about performance magic that might be of interest to others.

"Magic does not occur by chance or connivance or ‘the right gimmick’. It results from creating conditions where the impossible is expected and desired."

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
But, in partial answer to the several questions tumbling forth ...

I always have several effects mastered and ready in case the right conditions exist for their appreciation.
It might be years before I perform it. With my other effects I am always trying to create or "know" when the right 'proximal' conditions exist.
The I reward the audience attention, interest, respect and appreciation of magic with an effect they will remember for 30 years + and tell grandchildren "must be magic."

Not every effect has that potential. I perform tricks that can never accomplish that.

But, I do create and document effects than can or might, and sometimes share them with other magicians who want something in their back pocket besides a can of snuff.

I have a failing in watching any magic effect and immediately thinking of ways to improve the "finer magic" potential.

So, for those new to magic on this forum, I want them to realize there are other options to "buy today, perform tomorrow,"
or "gotcha" or skill demonstrations.

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
"If this is a ball and cup routine, I can only assume the effect is a vanish or appearance."

neither - all of my actions are transportations of a ball to another place. Last thing I want is for a spectator to think "vanish."

TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of TomB
I do not think the desire for continuous improvement of magic is a failing. Especially in an art where people are trying to determine the method of a trick. The only question is, is it worth the time and money to improve it. I believe it is this effort that separates the good from the great.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
Been trying for 64 years since my first magic set. Doesn't matter that I never get it right, just that I get it better.

The unexpected reward is having someone come up to you after 40 years and relate an effect you performed - and describe the magic wonders you never did at all.

At 93, my dad described the first magic show I ever did (poorly as I wasn't much into practice then) He had never mentioned it before - until just before he passed.

Is it worth the time? Yes. Besides, I am up at 3AM anyway Smile

Money? - doesn't have to cost a dime. Being able to role-play an effect in mind, shift perspective or sleight, and run again only costs the lawn mowing I ought be doin'

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Something to ponder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL