The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Need a new TT looking for a really nice one (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

omagico
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of omagico
I say an ad years ago in Genii magazine for one that at the time was $150. I'm read to move on from my Vernet $10 TT. Any pointers??
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Stick with the Vernet. Use the rest of the $150 elsewhere.
I can't imagine a TT costing that amount unless it is made of pure gold.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I remember that TT you were talking about. I forget the name but they were supposedly custom made to your thumb and also your color. I agree with Wravyn. Don't waste a lot of money for an expensive TT. If you use a TT correctly, the audience won't ever notice anything suspicious anyway, even if you are using a cheap one.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good words given here... A $150 TT is like a $100 pair of socks or a $50 hotdog, totally unnecessary. It won't make you do the effect any better. So yeah, your $10 TT is still more than good enough...In general, as already said, "Stick with Vernet." Smile

I've also seen on eBay where you can get some TTs that are pretty good, definitely good enough for the old classic effect, and really cheap!. Not only that, but you get "5 sets" for less than $2 bucks, the TT and even the little red hankies included. I bought some a while back to give away as teaching aids to kids with a real interest in magic when I happened to mentor them, and they love it!. Smile They have a good-enough fit, feel and look to them, and were worth every bit of that $2. Smile And it's still a great trick after all these years. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
omagico
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of omagico
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll change my TT routine a little bit to fix some viewing angle issues.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
About 1975, J.B.Bobo and I were talking, at the SAM convention in Chicago, and J.B. asked me, "Have you seen this?" He did the now "classic" TT and small silk van. I had been on the road all that spring, and, had not even heard of it,

It looked great, I used it for several seasons as a quick opener, for the school show.

A couple of months, after I had started using it, I entered, and greeted the audience, and the TT fell off my T! --and, hit the floor. I didn't stop talking, I just bent down, picked up the TT and did the bit, No one had "noticed!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
dalo
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of dalo
Was it not a legendary magician who used to have one in silver or something very shiny?

No one ever saw it Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
'Way back when (when a plastic tt hadn't been developed), it wasn't unusual for someone using a tt regularly to wear the paint off the tt down to the "silver" colored metal. Dealers used to sell flesh colored paint specifically for repainting your tt and touching up other gimmicks.

I seem to recall Duke Stern lectured using a red tt for emphasis on how to handle and conceal one in actual performance.

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah! Duke was one of a bunch who did that~

My first TT cost $.25 from Abbott's, and Percy paid the postage!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2019, dalo wrote:
Was it not a legendary magician who used to have one in silver or something very shiny?

No one ever saw it Smile

IIRC, it was the "inventor" of the TT He had a jeweler make it.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. DON'T buy TT's online. Go to a magic convention or magic meet, some event where magicians get together and swap/sell goods. Take your time and find one that fits and is close to your skin color. Then buy it for $5.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Need a new TT looking for a really nice one (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL