The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea difficulty level is hard to gauge isn't it? I want to see any boxer hit a curve ball, or fast ball or for God sake a knuckle ball!

It is a fact that reaction time is just less than a second. See the ball, decide to swing, and make contact somehow. It is about 2/10 of a second.

I mean is difficult the most athletically demanding? The need for physical prowess? What is the meaning of the word difficult as it is applied in that case? It is sort of ambiguous.

Of course at 52, carrying about 30 extra pounds, pretty bad knees and shoulder replaced I am hard pressed to find a sport of any sort that is NOT difficult!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I'd like to see any baseball player survive a few rounds with any professional boxer.

pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7387 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Cycling. The worlds most arduous sport.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Nah. Once you reload your doped-blood you feel like superman.

pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7387 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Nah. Once you reload your doped-blood you feel like superman.

Lance would confirm that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
I'd like to see any baseball player survive a few rounds with any professional boxer.

Any baseball player and any boxer? I'll take that bet if I can pick which of each. Just survive? Easy.

But obviously your point is professionals in their own sport are quite good at it. A pro baseball player will not be nearly as good as a honed athlete who has trained to box.

Even within combat sports there is not much crossover that works well. Ask Connor McGregor.

If I had an athletic kid I would encourage him to be a left handed relief pitcher. Long career, not much injury, good after sports life and great pay. Statistically that is not a bad job.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Any baseball player and any boxer? I'll take that bet if I can pick which of each. Just survive? Easy.

Yeah... you still have to stick to weight-class. No way they make 12 rounds, but technically alive.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

And I'd like to see any professional boxer survive a Formula 1 race at speed.

Your point, such as it is, is, well, pointless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That is very tough at speed, for long periods of time.

That is my point about how tough any particular sport is in comparison to another is hard to quantify.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Especially in boxing gloves.

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4642 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
That is very tough at speed, for long periods of time.

That is my point about how tough any particular sport is in comparison to another is hard to quantify.

Agree. Though for example, recently there were a couple NFL players that tried to put ice skates on (Larry Fitzgerald being one) and grabbed a stick to try hockey. Well, let's just say Larry wasn't even able to use his stick with a puck because he couldn't stand long enough. Now, you take an NHL player and put pads on him to play football, he will be able to at least compete. I understand this first hand as I played football since I was 9 until I was 20 years old (2 years at a Div. III school) and now I have been an assistant coach for 2 youth ice hockey teams for 3 years and I can confidently say that Ice hockey is much harder to play than football. Not even close.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well that is those equipment issues you are talking about. Most NHL players could not do the Luge or Bobsled in the Olympics.

Being able to get the equipment on and walk around is ne being able to compete.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4642 Posts

Profile of RNK
It's more of a skill issue in that they can't skate on ice. Whereas an NHL player can put on football equipment and right away would be able to compete. A football player cannot put on ice skates and go out there and compete.

I was comparing Hockey to Football. It's funny because there were a few NFL players that said they could make the NHL in 6 months!, LOL! UNTIL they put on ice skates and went out on the ice and fell on there butt, LOL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I get it. You can't extrapolate past your own experience. Putting on pads in no way qualified one for the NFL.

I saw Tom Kite once at a Pro/Am tournament many years ago. We were having almost this exact discussion. He was talking about how some incredible athletes wind up riding in the cart after 12 holes, how their game drops off so badly and so on.

His point was that his golf muscles were developed better. Not that one was a better athlete.

Try playing soccar and tell me it is not an endurance sport. Watch the joke that was Michael Jordan, arguably the best basketball player ever, try to catch a fly ball in right field. He liked like a guy trying to catch an egg in a hurricane. His batting was worse.

Putting on pads does not mean you can compete any more than knowing how to hold a club makes you able to compete in golf. The comparison is ridiculous, but since you can't see outside your own experience yout don't even see it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I get it. You can't extrapolate past your own experience. Putting on pads in no way qualified one for the NFL.

Nobody is suggesting athletes are capable of competing in every professional sport. Specialization is a massive gatekeeper.
But non-pro athletes are competitive in non-pro sports. Muscles and speed are universal.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not the way they are used. Not the way they are developed. It is somewhat akin to thinking body builders are power lifters.

Muscles and speed are simply not universal. That is a gross oversimplification. If it was true then specialization would not be such a gatekeeper.

You can have all the muscles and speed you want and without having trained them they are useless. Which gets me back to why it is hard to compare which is tougher to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
Not the way they are used. Not the way they are developed. It is somewhat akin to thinking body builders are power lifters.

Muscles and speed are simply not universal. That is a gross oversimplification.

With modern-fitness most high-school and some college athletes can play any sports they want.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OK the exception not the rule. Those same exceptions existed forever.

They do not contradict my point though they make a wonderful straw man.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:

Muscles and speed are simply not universal. That is a gross oversimplification.

With modern-fitness most high-school and some college athletes can play any sports they want.

Give me any high school or college athlete who hasn't ridden a horse and I'll go up against them any day in endurance riding, and trounce them.

Give me any high school of college athlete who hasn't driven a Formula 1 (or, for that matter, Formula 2, or most go-karts) and they'll never last the race distance at speed. Their necks won't take it.

Your generalization is completely wrong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL