We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » What to discover inside a card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Hi all. I have been working on a trick where either a selected card or a piece of a restored bill ends up inside another selected card.

Here are some things I would like your opinions on.

1> Is it stronger to find a previously selected card inside a second card or to find a piece of a partially restored bill from a 'failed' trick inside a card?

2> Is there anything else that you think would be novel to find inside a card?

3> Any ideas on presentation plots?

Thanks for any opinions/ideas.

-P

Also, has anyone ever heard of this happening...something being found inside a card?
Über goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
J. N. Hofzinser did something very nice with a borrowed wedding ring where the ring is discovered inside a playing card.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
coolleprechaun
View Profile
Regular user
Winnipeg, Manitoba
108 Posts

Profile of coolleprechaun
What do you mean by "inside" the card?
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
I go through the trouble of splitting cards until I get a usable face, back, and middle. I then cut out a section of the middle layer to create a recess or hollow point. It is there that I load the piece of whatever and glue the whole thing back together. It is a bit of work.

The effect then is the card is ripped by a spectator and inside the card another card or a piece of a dollar bill is found.

I think it is a piece of strong magic to find something actually inside a card...after all, who has ever heard of something inside a card.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Why not get a blank back and black front can stick them together on three edges like a little bag. Squeeze at the top and it opens and looks a bit cleaner.

Also, the item doesn't have to be IN the card. Think about how you produce an eight ball or a baseball from a card box.

Also, how about some diamonds from the diamond.
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Nicholas - Nice idea with the bag. I thought doing something like that originally. I feel the strength of this trick is that a card is selected, held, and then torn open to reveal something inside. Diamonds are a nice idea. Thanks.

I have performed the mechanics of this trick a couple of times and it works. A card can be chosen and held, without the inconsistency in card texture being noticed. What I hope to do is develop a killer presentation because I can't think of anything being more amazing than ripping apart a card to find another card/bill/something else inside it.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Flow,
Look for the trick (Doug Bennet's?) "Trapped" also known as "Fire Trap."

"Trapped" was done with a stack of business cards(or playing cards). Doug Henning didn't usually carry business cards with him, so he adapted it into what we now know as "Fire Trap."

I saw him do this on the Tonight Show where a borrowed quarter disappears and reappears inside the matchbook that he used to light the flash paper he used to "vanish" the coin.

The coin wasn't just inside the book, it was inside the matchbook cover. He had to tear the cover apart to retrieve the coin from inside the paper.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
2bunik
View Profile
New user
texas
27 Posts

Profile of 2bunik
I think the dollar bill would be better than finding another card in a card.. my two cents
the world is flat
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I agree a card IN a card is a little confusing. The object that appears should be unusual. Make it a $1000 bill!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
A monkey!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Threee
View Profile
New user
Toronto, ON, Canada
18 Posts

Profile of Threee
You can get a SIGNED coin to appear in the card by having a dupe coin you prepared switched back with the signed one.

Now that I think of it you can do this:
  • Prepare a card with a quarter in it
  • Then ask a spectater to borrow a quarter and have them sign it
  • Next have the pick a card from a full deck (force the quarter card)
  • Using the card as a wand vanish their quarter via the striking vanish
  • Then rip open the card to show the quarter in it
  • Switch it for their sign quarter and hand it out for examination
Hope you like it.

Threee
------------------------------------
Threee.Period
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
A little miniature card could be found in a bigger normal-sized card. You could load a whole deck of normal cards with little minis hidden inside. Then figure out a way to use them.

The normal-sized cards would have a different number and suit than the mini card inside.
Drive Carefully
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
How about using the Intercessor to have a torn corner inside another card?

Owen
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Consider a torn and restored card trick.

Where the card is torn not just in four, but into bits... but one piece flutters to the floor.

The card is resored, but missing one bit.

However, upon inspection, the card is found to be a bit lumpy... and when torn open... there is the missing bit.

That work for you?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
YIKES... what is olde is new?

In the 1960's I prepared a card by splitting it partway, left one end open, treated with rubber cement on two surfaces with a guide.

Vanished a SIGNED quarter and it was found sealed INSIDE a card that was later selected.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Sort of a 2-dimensional signed bill to lemon...

I like the idea of getting something personal inside the card. Pete's idea of using a guide to load a partially completed fake is pretty good.

Perhaps you could get (pickpocket, confederate, or your favorite method) their driver's license and load that in the card? Produce a bottle of their favorite adult beverage, but demand to see ID before sharing...
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
619 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
I don't have the book handy, but I beleive in one of the Ganson Rountined Manipulation books is an efefct where a bill appears inside a playing card ...
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
If you just put the rubber cement around the outer, inside edges the object you put inside it will not be stuck and you can use the card as a kind of envelope that will allow whatever is inside to slide out after you tear one of the ends. How about using a miniature card to be revealed from inside its mate. Have them sign the miniature, vanish it then secretly load it.
Taylor Dean
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Taylor Dean
Do a mind reading trick but instead finshing it, go on to a card trick and have the prediction inside of the card.
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
I saw a coin in a business card done just the other night. The card was open like an envelope. He just vanished the coin then slipped the coin in and sealed the edge. worked very nicely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » What to discover inside a card (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL