The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How fast do you learn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2202 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
To directly answer your question - in the past 12 months I've learned 2 routines that weren't just variations of previous material of mine, to performance level.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
276 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Christopher.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Mike.Bonner
View Profile
New user
Gloucester, England
10 Posts

Profile of Mike.Bonner
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
I am curious if new or "newish" members could approximate how many new tricks/effects they learn in a 12 month period? I mean really learn so that when you go out for a beer you won't embarrass yourself in front of the lady sitting next to you.

I am asking b/c my learning rate is so darn slow it is becoming a burden that I am tired trying to overcome. I would like to know how I compare.

Hi Teddyboy,

I am a new learner and have only been practicing for 10 months so far.

I have a table that I complete for each trick I am learning. In this table I have different columns: Origins and history of the effect, sleights/moves to learn, patter, angles, ending clean, crowd reactions and other. I do this to consider what I need to work on, the strength of the trick.

- I can't give you a direct number of how many I have learnt, as there are some I consider I have, but wouldn't use as they don't suite my style / I haven't figured out how to make them fit with my style.
- I would say that as a new learner, I am always reflecting on how to improve e.g. I didn't like the Hindu force for the 'Chicago opener', so I am considering ways of doing this differently and found an alternative method based upon my research into the effect and other performances (thank you Whit 'pop' Haydn). This is a reason I am uncertain how many I consider knowing, but I guess there needs to be a cut off of being good enough but still having room for improvement.
- I would advise to focus on a few tricks and do them well, rather than get overwhelmed by how many you know. This was advice that was given to me and I can say that it has improved the strength of the limited number of tricks I perform.

Keep working hard, it may feel like a burden but I am sure there will be a time that your magic improves at a faster rate, the more you practice and become familiar with different sleights and methods.

All the best,

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How fast do you learn? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL