The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What a disappointment! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19634 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Or "Smoke On The Water", "Gimme Some Lovin'" and many others ...


I actually try to blot a lot of that out of my mind LOL.

Interestingly enough I once saw an interview with Pete Townsend who talked about the creative process of The Who. He was talking about one of the anthems they sang and mentioned how he had envisioned it as a balled and Roger turned it into a screaming anthem. I was at the time thinking THANK GOD he did!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1061 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, imgic wrote:
I've been listening to "Coffee House Covers" station on Pandora radio. I have come to believe that any song can be improved with an acoustic guitar, slower tempo, and gravelly voice.


Exceptof course for "Won't Get Fooled Again".


Actually Townsend did a killer acoustic versions of that song at The Secret Policemans Ball in 1979

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1061 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Or "Smoke On The Water", "Gimme Some Lovin'" and many others ...


No vocals, but some pretty fine guitar playing on this cover of “Smoke on the Water”

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1061 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Or "Smoke On The Water", "Gimme Some Lovin'" and many others ...


I think you got me on “Gimme Some Lovin’” I couldn’t find a slow acoustic version (though I found video of Weird Al doing a cover of it)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19634 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, imgic wrote:
I've been listening to "Coffee House Covers" station on Pandora radio. I have come to believe that any song can be improved with an acoustic guitar, slower tempo, and gravelly voice.


Exceptof course for "Won't Get Fooled Again".


Actually Townsend did a killer acoustic versions of that song at The Secret Policemans Ball in 1979



Yep hated it. That was actually what I was referring to. Being fair I believe I once heard an interview with Townsend in which he mentions the song was originally intended more like this version until Roger got hold of it.

My favorite thing from Secret Policeman's ball is later in 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNl6Tc70M0
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19634 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

This is my favorite cover of Thunderstruck. Don't immediately click off.

Not necessarily musically my favorite but for innovation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5692 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
My favorite thing from Secret Policeman's ball is later in 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNl6Tc70M0

All that rehearsal time and no one bothered to tell him he was miming the slide guitar completely wrong? #PerformerFail
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19634 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not having been there I am not sure.

But consider this is not the first place he did that. He had done it for quite a while, which was why he was asked to do the show in the first place. So your point actually goes MUCH deeper than just the rehearsal.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1061 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

Yep hated it. That was actually what I was referring to. Being fair I believe I once heard an interview with Townsend in which he mentions the song was originally intended more like this version until Roger got hold of it.

My favorite thing from Secret Policeman's ball is later in 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNl6Tc70M0


That was great.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What a disappointment! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL