The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Anyone familiar with Richard Osterlind's Dictionary Finale? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magringo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sad that all I have is a scant
326 Posts

Profile of magringo
Hi all -- I'm very interested in Dictionary Finale by Richard Osterlind. In general, Richard's mentalism effects are fabulous, but the write up of this effect on http://osterlindmysteries.com and video produced to show it on youtube are seemingly at odds in having the spectator choose a word. I'd appreciate a clarification.

The website says: A FREELY-SELECTED WORD -- "A freely-selected word is found to be missing from a legitimate dictionary! The mentalist directs the spectator to look inside the back cover and there he finds an “errata” slip explaining there is an error in the dictionary and that very word was left out!"

The video on the other hand has the spectator look at the last word on the last page of a book -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uylTzRISurc

So which is correct. IMHO if the spectator has to look at the last word of the last page of the book -- I'm asking myself, that's dumb... because the magician will undoubtedly know beforehand the word that the spectator will "choose."
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
It's all in how you present the book. If you just hand them a book, and say "go to page 46 and look at the 3rd word of the 11th line", of course they're going to suspect you already know something.
But this is not how a mentalist would present his/her books.

The video starts off in the middle of a full routine. So what you are seeing at the very beginning is just a little out of context. We didn't actually see how the book was presented/selected.

I have faith that Richard knows what he's doing.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Absolutely.
His years of experience and quality teaching speak for him. I believe this product is no different.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Anyone familiar with Richard Osterlind's Dictionary Finale? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL