The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pciccaglione
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of pciccaglione
What are some of your creative processes when organizing a routine?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1687 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Look for Master Payne’s PEP talks on Vimeo. He talks about creativity in a very good and useful way. His lecture notes on Lulu are very useful, covering the same ground as his PEP talks, then giving some great routines as examples to work from.

Patrick
pciccaglione
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of pciccaglione
Thank you!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2200 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
To give a direct response - I come up with the experience I want to create for the audience. I write a basic script for how I could create that experience. I figure out what methods will allow me to execute that script.

I pretty much always work from the end backwards.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Laughing
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Laughing
Chris (the witch with an MD) is probably right, start from the experience and work back. However if the original questions is greenfield, i.e. how do you "imagine" an effect in the first place. What a great question!

Open a dictionary, with eyes closed, flip and point to a word, use that to "brainstorm" The last time I did this I picked the word "illusion" that was a bust.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Look for Master Payne’s PEP talks on Vimeo. He talks about creativity in a very good and useful way. His lecture notes on Lulu are very useful, covering the same ground as his PEP talks, then giving some great routines as examples to work from.

Patrick

Yup!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
To give a direct response - I come up with the experience I want to create for the audience. I write a basic script for how I could create that experience. I figure out what methods will allow me to execute that script.

I pretty much always work from the end backwards.

Yup!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2019, Laughing wrote:
Chris (the witch with an MD) is probably right, start from the experience and work back. However if the original questions is greenfield, i.e. how do you "imagine" an effect in the first place. What a great question!

Open a dictionary, with eyes closed, flip and point to a word, use that to "brainstorm" The last time I did this I picked the word "illusion" that was a bust.

Not "probably". Michelangelo was asked, "How did you create that magnificent statue of DAVID! The artist replied, "I saw David in that block of marble. I simply removed all the marble that was not David!"
Laughing
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Laughing
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:

Not "probably". Michelangelo was asked, "How did you create that magnificent statue of DAVID! The artist replied, "I saw David in that block of marble. I simply removed all the marble that was not David!"

I have heard that before Dick, it has to be apocryphal, surely. Otherwise the quote would be 500 years old.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2019, Laughing wrote:

What is "greenfield"? I don't "imagine" an effect. The effect is what the spectator perceives. I have, over the years, selected material with which I can get laughs when performed. (I get 5 minutes of laughs, and applause, with a golf ball. My comedy wand and brakawa fan routine has gotten me a dozen laughs, and, even
a standing ovation in high schools. My 20th Century Silks, gets laughs and a show stop laugh at the blowoff in elementary schools.

I fool 'em, without making fools OF them, I outlined my CRITERIA in my book. My "formula" is KIS MIF (acronym for Keep It Simple - Make It Fun) and, I use the Three "Ts" (tempo, timing, and time) as I "work".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL