The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello Folks! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jesse Hylton
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jesse Hylton
Nice to meet you all!
Happy to see a thriving community hidden in a nostalgic part of internet.

I actually stumbled onto this place when I was trying to do some research on the principles of magic that I kept hearing about being blurted from various magicians I seen on the telly, I am a complete beginner,

So far I am practicing some basic card tricks and learning a few flourishes.

It's a slow start but it's enough to surprise some of my family, seeing the excitement on the faces of my little brothers were enough to sell me on wanting to continue doing magic.

Hoping to learn and take on magic as an artform since I'm already a amateur pencil artist.
~Poof~
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Welcome.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of TomB
Welcome to the Magic Café forum. This is a great place to learn and many professional magicians are here that are extremely helpful.
Jesse Hylton
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jesse Hylton
Thank you all for the warm welcome, glad to be here.

How did you you folks discover magic?

I used to see people like Chris Angel, Pen and Teller, The Masked Magician on tv growing up and it amazed me. I was inspired to get a magic book as a younger kid from the school book store. I tried a few tricks. I moved a lot and sadly lost that book before I learned from it.

But here I am years later wanting to hop back on :3
~Poof~
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
I was always interested in magic since I was a kid.

Didn't actually start really learning about magic until 2 years ago.

Do you have The Royal Road to Card Magic?

Josh
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
103 Posts

Profile of servant
Welcome! I started in my youth and eventually did birthday parties (probably around the age of 12 or 13 if I remember correctly). I learned almost exclusively from library books. I lived out in the middle of nowhere at the time, so I had no competition. My name spread pretty quickly and my dad booked the gigs for me. When we moved, I stopped performing and have only dabbled since then.
Jesse Hylton
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jesse Hylton
@ Josh
Cool! 2 years is quite a while, sounds like you're having fun.

I don't think I have that yet, I am actually trying to build up my knowledge base as we speak Smile

@ Servent
Thanks!

That's pretty cool to hear and glad it worked out swell for you, I'm a little bit in a rural place myself
~Poof~
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
I highly suggest you get the Royal Road Asap.

After that,

Expert Card Technique and The Expert At The Card Table.

Maybe consider Roberto Giobbi's Card College Light, no sleight of hand needed.

But great for practicing the art of magic.

Josh
Jesse Hylton
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jesse Hylton
Noted!
Thank you for sharing those very helpful recommendations. I'll be sure to look out for them. Smile
~Poof~
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Jesse Hylton,

We all have to go through being new at some point. Keep a record of your progress, it will be inspiring. Check out the "New to Magic" forum. Some of the folks giving advice are really experienced.

The Library book suggestion is a great one. Often the Magic tricks in them are more interesting to little Siblings that Card Tricks (not that I don't love Card Tricks). Libraries can share with other Library systems in ways they did not when I was a Kid.

Don't fall into the trap of just learning secrets as fast as you can. Settle in on one to three tricks at a time and learn to do them before moving on.

Have fun!

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8326 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Welcome to our motley crew!

You asked: "How did you get interested in magic?"

In the autumn of 1938, Stanley Susan presented his show, in the school auditorium. Admission was 5 cents. It was the middle of the Great Depression. My mother managed to "find" a nickel! I went, not even knowing what a magician was. I was almost 8. The show was WONDERFUL! Then and there, I decided to be a magician. I did. Seven years later, I was almost 14. The Junior High School principal booked me for a show on that same stage! Admission was 10 cents. I made, in 40 minutes, $24.00. It was 1945. Many grown men worked all week for that. That day, I became a part time professional.

After 4 years in the Navy, and college, I was still a part timer, for a few years. After 4 years in the Navy, and finishing college. I "went' full time!

I retired in 2008.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jesse Hylton
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jesse Hylton
@ Mary

Thank you for the warm welcome, really great advice as well. I'll do my best to keep it to heart.

@ Dick

That's really cool, magic really does seem timeless I can only imagine all the great experiences you had with magic in all that time.
~Poof~
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
Welcome to the Magic Café
Jesse Hylton
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jesse Hylton
@ bobinsdakota

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@ Josh

I picked up royal road and practicing it now!
~Poof~
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1058 Posts

Profile of imgic
If you're looking to learn card magic, I highly recommend Oz Pearlman's "Born to Perform" video on Penguin Magic.

I was never into card sleights as I found them difficult and I had trouble learning them from books (no clubs around me growing up). But when I back into magic a few years ago, I found this video and I've learned all the basic slights, a few flourishes, and created my own ambitious card routine. I highly recommend it.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4191
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Jesse Hylton
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jesse Hylton
Ah cool thank you! I'll check it out.
~Poof~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello Folks! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL