The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Domain name advice (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3171 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm in the process of setting up a website after all these years and need some input on choosing a domain name ie would you use your name.com, your name followed by the word magic.com or finally your name followed by the word magician .com

Thanks for any input
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
538 Posts

Profile of Carducci
First the short answer. It really depends on two factors:

1. Your branding
2. Your name

1. If you're branding yourself as a solo magical artist, xyzMagic.com is a fine choice. Punchy and to the point.
2. Is your name easy to spell? If not, go with something else. MichaelCarducciMagic.com is going to be a nightmare. Nobody knows how to spell Carducci.

The longer answer
As a general piece of advice, if you're constantly spelling, or clarifying your domain name, it's not a good domain name.

Here's an example:

There's a charity organization called Kars 4 Kids. You know the one, with the ANNOYING jingle. Anyway... There's a lot of ambiguity there. If I just verbally told you "go to www.kars4kids.com" you would hear "cars for kids" Incidentally carsforkids.com goes to a parking page. Someone snagged that domain. Now it becomes

"ok, go to www.kars4kids.com and that's cars but spelled with a K and instead of the word for it's the number 4 so K-A-R-S-the-number-four-K-I-D-S.com." That's a lot of explanation for a simple domain name.

I've always been a proponent of the simplest possible domain name. I don't try to spell "carducci" I just say my website is "trulymagic.com" Short and memorable, but even that isn't perfect. Many people don't know how to spell truly (they spell it with an e; truely) so I own both versions in case someone misspells it.

If you've got an easy to remember and easy to spell name, go for it, otherwise come up with something else.

.Coms have been around forever, and many of the good ones are taken. If you need ideas, look beyond .com. There has been an explosion in Top Level Domains (TLDs) in recent years.

A few out-of-the-.com-box ideas off the top of my head...

themagic.guru (available as of 9/1/19)
cardistry.ninja (available as of 9/1/19)
theMagic.expert (available as of 9/1/19)
yourname.productions (probably available)
theyourname.show (probably available)
amagical.wedding (available as of 9/1/19)
thedeception.zone (available as of 9/1/19)
cardistry.cards (unavailable)
magicwith.cards (unavailable)

etc.

Good luck!

P.S. If you go with a .com, see if you can get the .co.uk option as well.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree with Michael's thoughts about using your name unless it is easy to understand and spell by most without much thought. It is, for this reason, I would never use my name because no one knows how to spell it. An agency once bought the domain of my name and spent all their time and effort educating prospects on how to properly spell my name.

Which gets me to my next two points.

Do you want your domain to specifically be associated with magic? If so then using magic in your domain could be fine. But perhaps you would rather be positioned as more than just a magician. Say you did magic, balloons, face painting, you might prefer to use "entertainment" or Productions" or something more all-encompassing or more than just "magic."

The final thought is do you want it to be about you or perhaps it may be better to use your company name - especially of your own name is hard or tricky to spell. Many businesses prefer to use a business name or name of their show rather than their own personal name.

There are many variables and possibilities but not knowing more about you, your type of performance, offerings, and other info makes it hard for us to respond with more of the info you may be seeking.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3171 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks both for the information you make some very good points, here in the UK I would say that the majority of magicians as their domain name so in the end I went with my name plus magician.com.

That said there is a 14 day cooling off period with the package I went with which included a free domain name for 12 months so I could always cancel and then redo it.

Carducci you mentioned that you owned two domain names, are they both for the same website ?
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
103 Posts

Profile of servant
Is your name plus magic available? I'd favor Magic over Magician just because it's 3 letters shorter (and easier to spell). The shorter the better.

In Carducci's case, if you misspell his domain name (with an 'e'), it just redirects you to the correct domain name. So yes, they are both for the same website.

In your case, you could figure out any common misspellings of your name, buy those domains as well, and forward them to the correct spelling of your name. So if your domain name was WarrenSmithMagic.com, you could buy WarenSmithMagic.com as well and forward it back to the first domain, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
734 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Ok... so a thread in my ballpark. (=

Keep it SIMPLE and so that it passes the Radio Test...
Radio Test = If you say it on the radio people can remember it and find it

now on building your website...
I would highly suggest you map it out on paper BEFORE you start building it...
You want to build a basic sitemap and how things interconnect.
(example from a pest control site) https://www.screencast.com/users/mike-cd......b8581b84

Then you want to build out the pages to flow and have good thematic relevance
https://www.screencast.com/users/mike-cd......9e6d3d50

Here is a screenshot with a little more explanation
https://www.screencast.com/users/mike-cd......db4c9565

sorry if I went to geek... if you need help feel free to message... Since my arthritis in my feet has gotten so bad I don't perform any longer, but and now a speaker and trainer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Domain name advice (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL