The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Door by Riccardo Berdini (77 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
264 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, dman11 wrote:
Just so you may have another option: Blake Vogt has for sale a 4 way envelope...A little cheaper (but you do only get one) and it is made out of Tyvek so it should have good durability:

https://www.facebook.com/blakevogtmagic/......4696579/

https://blake-vogt.myshopify.com/collect......envelope

And... it's already sold out.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It's nice to be able to make your own variation Switcheroo from materials found at any Dollar Store. https://www.magicnook.com/WizJournal/WJ-40ALL.htm#Switcheroo The Dollar Store won't run out any time soon. Note, this does not use the same method or technology as Black Door, but it may work for you depending on your requirements.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18346 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think the problem for Black door is definitely durability... Even if you are clear with your instructions it only takes one person not listening and rip the thing open and you're $20 down...

The Vogt envelope, definitely a different job but the tyvek is a smart touch...
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3151 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I am hoping when mine arrive I can fathom out how to recreate one in Tyvek or no tear paper . Sounds a great utility as does Blake’s , best wishes Gaz 🙂
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3350 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I ordered one, got bit by the gimmick bug. But hey, I guess I'll review it on the podcast! I now have a great excuse to buy random magic/mentalism products.

I do have a very deceptive 1 off version I make myself where the participant can open it themselves and the envelope is never sealed, but it only goes one direction so I guess this is a little different.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The PayPal button has just been added to Switcheroo at The Magic Nook, but make sure you have been verified as a magician or you won't be able to purchase it.
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
195 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
The PayPal button has just been added to Switcheroo at The Magic Nook, but make sure you have been verified as a magician or you won't be able to purchase it.

Why you don't create a thread for yourself instead of hijacking this one?
Thanks.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3350 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I received Black Door today. Not bad, I guess. Not going to replace the ones I make though.

I avoided watching the vid so I could see if I could open them without knowing how they work. I very quickly got it open, but I suppose I'm fairly familiar with the concepts at work here (I saw what it was immediately).

And yes, IMO, easy to make replacements/different sizes provided you find the right materials.

I'll give a more detailed review on the next Mystery Arts Podcast (see my sig).
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3151 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thanks Last Laugh I didn’t think it could be a completely new concept as it would be impossible imo .
I pretty much know every permutation of an envelope already .
Nevertheless I am looking forward to receiving them and hopefully being proved wrong again 😉Gaz 🙂
bob44leo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bob44leo
I received Black Door a few days ago and have watched the training video twice. A few thoughts;

It is made of quite sturdy paper stock. In fact when I put a playing card in the envelope I could not detect the card. Of course you do need to manage how the spectator handles the envelope but Riccardo discuses that in some detail.

The switching technique is quite undetectable. After handling the envelope only a few times I was quite comfortable with it. And of course the there are so many applications which he discusses well and throughly.

It would be quite difficult/impossible for me to replicate or other magicians with limited arts and crafts skills.

I’m buying a few more!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3350 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, bob44leo wrote:

It would be quite difficult/impossible for me to replicate or other magicians with limited arts and crafts skills.

Assuming you had the envelopes and the other thing (Which is available on Amazon), I'm quite sure you could do it with only a pair of scissors. It really is very simple.

I just made one out of a black coin envelope. I happened to have some of the other thing on hand. It took a few minutes.

However- big important caveat. Riccardo says that the envelopes are custom made (the envelopes themselves, before they are gimmicked) and they do have a slight difference from standard coin envelopes that make them slightly better for this application. There is a workaround though...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
552 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, no2ss wrote:

And... it's already sold out.

And...they are back in stock, lol. In fact, he posted on instagram that this is the last weekend these will be available AND you can get one free with any physical product order on his site by adding it to the cart and using coupon code Free. So, I ordered one and got another Free.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18346 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thanks for mentioning that...just nabbed a couple of no4s...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4254 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yeah, very cool. Thanks for the heads up on that dman!
Just to clarify, this is for Blake’s 4 way envelope and you have add 2 to your cart and using the discount code one will be marked as free upon checkout.
Also, it can work for other items as well. Doesn’t have to be 2 envelopes.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1611 Posts

Profile of The Duster
When I get home will check it out (Blake’s)

As it depends on what the postage to the UK is - as sometimes the postage is very high (no fault of the USA shops it’s just how it is)
Yepski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Yepski
Thx for the heads up on the “Number 4”, I just grabbed 2 with the Free code
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18346 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It's roughly 14 dollars postage...so if you use the offer and get two, it works out at around 36 quid all in...
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For Bank Night I recommend the method described in Spellbinder's "Banker's Dream" from The Wizards' Journal #20 ( https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ20/wizj20-04BankersDream.htm ) which uses ordinary security envelopes from the Dollar Store and doesn't risk the loss of your money from having a spectator rip open his envelope any way he pleases. "Switcheroo" is not recommended for mentalists; it is for magicians performing magical transformations, transpositions, appearances, vanishes and the like. Mentalists require a different degree of trust in props to maintain their believability with their audiences than either "Switcheroo" OR "Black Door" can provide. That's my opinion. I do have one situation in which a mentalist can reliably use a switching envelope, in the case of switching dollar bills to reveal serial numbers because in that instance it doesn't seem as if anything has been switched at all. Other than that, leave the switchers for performing magic tricks, not mental miracles.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1611 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2019, IAIN wrote:
It's roughly 14 dollars postage...so if you use the offer and get two, it works out at around 36 quid all in...

Thanks x
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1611 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
For Bank Night I recommend the method described in Spellbinder's "Banker's Dream" from The Wizards' Journal #20 ( https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ20/wizj20-04BankersDream.htm ) which uses ordinary security envelopes from the Dollar Store and doesn't risk the loss of your money from having a spectator rip open his envelope any way he pleases. "Switcheroo" is not recommended for mentalists; it is for magicians performing magical transformations, transpositions, appearances, vanishes and the like. Mentalists require a different degree of trust in props to maintain their believability with their audiences than either "Switcheroo" OR "Black Door" can provide. That's my opinion. I do have one situation in which a mentalist can reliably use a switching envelope, in the case of switching dollar bills to reveal serial numbers because in that instance it doesn't seem as if anything has been switched at all. Other than that, leave the switchers for performing magic tricks, not mental miracles.

I know your just hi-jacking .... but Blake’s I would use as multiple outs not a magic effect

So I see it as a mentalists prop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Door by Riccardo Berdini (77 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL