The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Circus seance (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

belotte
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of belotte
Does anyone know of any material on doing a seance based on the 10 in one or sideshow?

Thanks!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2458 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Docc Hilford has something.

There's another circus themed effect, but not sideshow.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2195 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
There's the one about the fire ... Inferno I think it's called?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3047 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My Circus Ma-Trix from the Wizards' Journal #40 may be able to help. It is apparently performed by reading the instructions from a famous magician who lived in the 1800's and who misses the old days.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3240 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
The knowing Game Might work. Not a 10 in 1 but a circus/carnival theme.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The sideshow culture is amazingly interesting, or at least was, when it existed. Just the jargon alone is worth research to weave into a story.

I was lucky enough to see the Freak Show at Venice Beach when it was still around, and it was so much fun. Just like going back in time. I'm old enough to remember state fairs and traveling carnivals that had side shows, and I knew they were a scam even as a kid. But it only made them even more compelling.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3240 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, Wizard of Oz wrote:
The sideshow culture is amazingly interesting, or at least was, when it existed. Just the jargon alone is worth research to weave into a story.

I was lucky enough to see the Freak Show at Venice Beach when it was still around, and it was so much fun. Just like going back in time. I'm old enough to remember state fairs and traveling carnivals that had side shows, and I knew they were a scam even as a kid. But it only made them even more compelling.

I agree. Haven't attended a State fair since they stopped the side shows. I one did a Higley Zibit show and really had fun and made some money. Miss those days.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
693 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Paul Prater’s “Freaks” would be a perfect accompaniment to that type seance.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Spot on Lo Pan. That is a wonderful piece of magic.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
386 Posts

Profile of Seance
Read Lary Baukin's "Dr. Fathom's Amusements". Great stories and effects of the ballyhoo !
"Even the dead tell stories."
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
945 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
There's the one about the fire ... Inferno I think it's called?

Good call.
Bob
belotte
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of belotte
Thanks, everyone. But these are all individual pieces. I'm looking for material on a full seance.
Side note: I've looked for the Docc Hillfordmaterial, but I haven't been able to find anything. I've also heard it's terribly expensive.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3240 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, belotte wrote:
Thanks, everyone. But these are all individual pieces. I'm looking for material on a full seance.
Side note: I've looked for the Docc Hillfordmaterial, but I haven't been able to find anything. I've also heard it's terribly expensive.

So you are looking for a ready script show. Most of the times, the individual pieces are combined and embellished with storytelling to make a full show. Perhaps you should give it a try.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2458 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, belotte wrote:

Not sure why. Right there on his website-part of a seance package. Freakshow Seance. It is $299.
belotte
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of belotte
I've done a seance from piecemeal effects. That's fine. But I also like to see a whole package to see what others have done and to get a "maybe" starting point. There are a few full routines out there, but it seems that most of them are cliche gothic / victorian routines. I'm also a bit of a collector.

That's why when I come across something different I am really interested.

I am actualy looking for something to perform.
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1256 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
As far as I've seen there are only solo effects, no one has offered an entire seance or show
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions
www.Gothicmagic.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"Suitcase Sideshow" is a 1940s Tommy Windsor book. While it couldn't be called seance, some of it (especially the language) could be adapted. It's a great resource. The material has a magician's approach, so you don't need background in stunt performance. Midwest Magic has it for $7.95

There are still a number of sideshows playing fairs. The culture is still alive, though it helps to know where to look.

Most of the current generation of performers do small troupes, and tend to play bars and smaller festivals. Most of the 6-Flags properties feature sideshow during Fright Fest, their Halloween season production.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Circus seance (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL