The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What props would you bring to a noisy event? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mndude
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of mndude
As you know, many social events are filled with music blasting.

In those cases, "pick a card" does not go over too well. If you are going to be in a situation where speaking and hearing is very limited, what do you bring with you for your performances?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19637 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In reality a "card to impossible location" can be done quite easily and with great affect. Color changes work really well. Heck even though I hate the routines an ACR works in that environment.

The key in ANY props is to avoid story magic when a story can not be told. Stick to visual quick effects that they can see what happens.

The challenge does not lie in the effect or props. It lies in the presentation. It is not unlike performing for an audience that does not predominantly share your language. If you think of it along those lines you will find some very creative ideas.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
368 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Danny is spot on!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
--And, I agree Chris!!!

KISMIF! (acronym for: KEEP IT SIMPLE - MAKE IT FUN)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have worked a Corporate Christmas cocktail party in a room lit only by a Christmas tree, and wreaths with colored lights. I strolled for an hour, and, basically did the vanishing lit match in a TT, Coin--Go, and Color Changing Knife.) I did an abbreviated version of my ball routine (Perpetual ball and visible ball thru silk, if I had an especially good group. I used up about 5 match books!

The "classic" silk van. in TT would work also. (use a yellow silk) A brief ring and rope routine would be good, too.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3064 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I am having fun experimenting with inflatable characters and have realized that they fit this noisy event situation perfectly. For Halloween I have an air-blown ghost ($20) that appears to be coming from a large pumpkin and is about six feet tall when fully blown up. It deflates into a bundle about the size of a loaf of bread (or perhaps a bunny rabbit). The air fan is battery powered so no cord is needed. I can walk into any crowd in my local park, take a foulard and lower it to the ground turning on the fan and just stand back and watch as this huge "thing" opens up under the cloth, then whip away the cloth and start using the ghost as if it were my assistant. I produce sponge balls from its eyes and do a sponge ball routine, pull silk handkerchiefs from its nostrils and ears, etc. I do a rope penetration with it. All without talking or making a sound. The crowd does all the noise making. But the air-blown ghost is like a huge vacuum the way it draws all attention and shuts down the noise and conversation from whatever to paying attention to my performance. I'm trying to find an appropriate "assistant" to use for Christmas while I work out another routine for the season.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19637 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seems like a lot to pack for a walk around event LOL. Cool idea though!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3064 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My plan is to draw the audience to me, since I can no longer get around the way I used to. The Inflatable Ghost does the job. I'm working on making a transformational inflatable for a finish. The Christmas Theme is easy - The Christmas character (right now I'm choosing between a "nutcracker" and a "gingerbread man") will be transformed into a larger Christmas tree. Then both inflatables can be deflated together as I stuff them all into Santa's bag to be carried (by tricycle or cart) to the next location. The Halloween theme is not as easy to find a transformational inflatable that I like. And then I may need to devise a haunted house to cart the two inflatables to the next location. I hope to have a solution before Halloween. You're right, though, it is a lot of work but I think it will be worth it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19637 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think it is a very creative solution.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2842 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think it is a very creative solution.

What happened to Dannydoyle? Your posts don't sound like the Danny we all know!
Is someone else using your account?
Smile
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If the music is truly blasting, it's a mistake.
you can ask for the music to be turned down. I've done that and have been thanked.

"Look, none of your guests can even talk to each other. The DJ is NOT the show. Have them turn down the music or I can ask them to do that for you if you wish"

Tricks for loud environments.. think about which ones you could do silently...

Ninja Rings
Ropes (prof nightmare)

both of those are AWESOME for loud gigs.
very visual and entertaining.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I'm with Ambitious card...Linking Rings and Professor's Nightmare (with a few moves from Richard Sander's Fiber Optics DVD).
I bring these two effects with me regardless of the venue...audiences really seem to love these old chestnuts.

Also...when I know that there will be loud music, it's safe to assume that the lights will be dimmed. A quick D'lite routine plays well in this environment as well.
BradenCarlisle
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of BradenCarlisle
Personally I have a rope around my neck, do rope through neck (silently, of course) then you can pretty much do anything from there since they're hooked. I also love to get a big crowd and do a balloon swallow with them chanting my name. It can get pretty loud and have a great effect on the atmosphere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What props would you bring to a noisy event? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL