The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Inconvenient truth? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
agree?
Quote:
...companies and consumers seem unable to accept that sustainability does not have to cost more to create an equally good product. Apparently, we simply cannot believe that a business can be equally or more profitable while reducing its environmental harm.
What then do people believe?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Let’s start with what do you believe.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have no idea what anyone else believes.

I had a hard time believing a company could make money selling Pet Rocks. I in no way could imagine that in six months the inventor would unload about five MILLION of them!

I had a hard time believing that a Tamagotchi would be a thing in the mid 90's. But again they sold about 70 MILLION of them for $20 apiece!

Needless to say there are other things people believe I can't imagine they do, but this keeps it fun.

Some businesses have been reducing environmental harm for decades. The ones who get it that is. It is not really hard to figure. There ARE big companies that are good stewards of our planet. Not all by any means and there are the opposite of that as well in some cases.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Fiction.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Three simple facts:

1) The overall temperature on Earth is SLIGHTLY hotter than it used to be.
2) Some extra ice is melting becasue of it, and storms are indirectly through several cycle steps more frequent and more severe for it.
3) The Earth experiences temperature cycles with or without human intervention.

These really are observable facts. We can argue the cause and effects till we're blue in the face.

Personally I like the Native American philosophy of "take care of mother Earth and she'll take care of you."
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6101 Posts

Profile of magicfish
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4725 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
we simply cannot believe that a business can be equally or more profitable while reducing its environmental harm.


If a business is a niche business with few competitors, then perhaps it can survive profitably; branding itself as "green" it might win a market share.

But in most sectors, businesses seek to maximize profit to shareholders *in the short run* It is more cost effective for businesses to cut corners environmentally and pass the cost of cleanup or sickness/death onto taxpayers. It doesn't matter too much whether an individual CEO "thinks green," because s/he will soon be undercut by her competitors if s/he does not follow suit. It is always a race to the economic and environmental bottom unless there are regulations which provide a floor that all competitors must obey so that they cannot undercut each other.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
Three simple facts:

1) The overall temperature on Earth is SLIGHTLY hotter than it used to be.
2) Some extra ice is melting becasue of it, and storms are indirectly through several cycle steps more frequent and more severe for it.
3) The Earth experiences temperature cycles with or without human intervention.

These really are observable facts. We can argue the cause and effects till we're blue in the face.

Personally I like the Native American philosophy of "take care of mother Earth and she'll take care of you."


Yea number two is sort of in dispute as a fact.

BUT why not keep our rooms clean? What is the benefit (Other than extraordinary profit for a few I mean.) in a dirty unsustainable planet? I can't find one.

Heck even without doomsday looming every 2 minutes I don't see why this idea of a cleaner more sustainable planet is so dividing. I mean we can discuss HOW to go about it, like maybe discussing the best route to a destination. But to pretend somehow it is not even worth discussion boggles my mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Lots of products sold in the USA have very high profitability with minimal harm to the environment within the USA...

China, not so much...
Image
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Animated Puppets wrote:
Lots of products sold in the USA have very high profitability with minimal harm to the environment within the USA...

China, not so much...

Looking at the news article about resource efficient factories - linked in the OP - that's the topic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4725 Posts

Profile of landmark
If it's cheaper to pollute than to become "resource efficient," then in the absence of govt regulation, the former will predominate. The article itself indicates that while a factory may be "green" in one aspect, it may be green deficient in many others. As of now, without an industry-wide or government-wide green infrastructure, the high initial cost of converting is generally a bar to immediate profits, even though it may pay off in the long run.

People sense this implicitly or explicitly. Thus the belief--because it's true if you live in a place with little such regulation and a high entry fee to new technology. It is not true if there are other political and social structures in place.

But then people in the US think that medical care has to cost twice as much as the rest of the Western world. Yes, but only under many of the same conditions outlined above.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You keep avoiding the China question. Inconvenient?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
You keep avoiding the China question. Inconvenient?
Maybe by "Asia" they mean China. The story is they are being coy about their technology.
Quote:
here’s a factory in Asia that uses only a single litre of water to make a pair of jeans. That’s 346 litres less than Levi-Strauss estimated it took to make a pair of its jeans in 2015. Wouldn’t you love to buy your jeans from this amazingly innovative factory? Me too, but I don’t even know what it’s called.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6101 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
You keep avoiding the China question. Inconvenient?
Maybe by "Asia" they mean China. The story is they are being coy about their technology.
Quote:
here’s a factory in Asia that uses only a single litre of water to make a pair of jeans. That’s 346 litres less than Levi-Strauss estimated it took to make a pair of its jeans in 2015. Wouldn’t you love to buy your jeans from this amazingly innovative factory? Me too, but I don’t even know what it’s called.

Why would Asia mean China?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
You keep avoiding the China question. Inconvenient?
Maybe by "Asia" they mean China. The story is they are being coy about their technology.
Quote:
here’s a factory in Asia that uses only a single litre of water to make a pair of jeans. That’s 346 litres less than Levi-Strauss estimated it took to make a pair of its jeans in 2015. Wouldn’t you love to buy your jeans from this amazingly innovative factory? Me too, but I don’t even know what it’s called.


I was making a simple joke at Landmark. Not taking a position.

My only position in reality is that it is absurd not to want to leave a cleaner planet than we found, when we poses the tech to do so quite easily.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1808 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Bottom line is that greed will always override common sense.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Bottom line is that greed will always override common sense.


Yea seems so doesn't it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4725 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
You keep avoiding the China question. Inconvenient?


I'm not a fan at all of the present Chinese governing system, whatever one may call it's strange hybrid system at this point, but with the coming of Deng, there was a concerted effort to rapidly industrialize at any cost to the environment resulting in horrendous pollution, similar to Europe and the US under laissez faire capitalism in the nineteenth century.

What's interesting is that now that they have built quite an industrial base they are now starting to turn their attention to cutting pollution as they must. Because of their system, they can turn around their policy quickly and have a unified national policy, and evidently their efforts are starting to become successful in reducing emissions.

Here's an article from The Economist which talks about that:
https://www.economist.com/the-economist-......ollution
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4725 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Bottom line is that greed will always override common sense.


Very often, agreed. That's one reason there are governments and laws. We are not helpless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes we are. Our government has become s leviathan. It is as simple as that. If we were not powerless then war criminals who lie to get us into wars would be prosecuted. If we had power you could not become wealthy through politics, and so on.

Make no mistake if you don't think you are helpless it is an illusion propagated to keep power. They steal from the public trust and get away with it. It happens and we let it happen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Inconvenient truth? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL