The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..57..71..85..99..112~113~114 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's not Teddy Roosevelt, though it should be. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a lawyer.

I'm going to keep with the Supreme Court theme: Oliver Wendall Holmes, Jr.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Neither Teddy nor OWHJ.

8. I'm possibly best known for two pastimes: card playing and sailing.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
Charles Goren?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Not Mr. Bridge.

9. I won the America's Cup three times.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well the America's Cup clue should give it away, but I know nothing about sailing except don't fall in, so I'll continue with a card player guess.

Any other bridge player would be too obscure except for Omar Sharif and he's too young and too foreign.

So a poker player? But from the background, he sounds like a rich guy, and I don't associate poker with born rich guys.

And he's best known for these activities, so he isn't someone primarily famous for something else which should really narrow the field down.

But I'm still stuck.

How about the original Vanderbilt, whatever his first name was? Rich, the train connection, Gloria Vanderbilt designer connection, and I think there's a sailing connection there too. Not sure about the card playing though.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2019, landmark wrote:
Well the America's Cup clue should give it away, but I know nothing about sailing except don't fall in, so I'll continue with a card player guess.

Any other bridge player would be too obscure except for Omar Sharif and he's too young and too foreign.

So a poker player? But from the background, he sounds like a rich guy, and I don't associate poker with born rich guys.

And he's best known for these activities, so he isn't someone primarily famous for something else which should really narrow the field down.

But I'm still stuck.

How about the original Vanderbilt, whatever his first name was? Rich, the train connection, Gloria Vanderbilt designer connection, and I think there's a sailing connection there too. Not sure about the card playing though.

There you go, Landmark...Harold Vanderbilt essentially invented contract (as opposed to auction) bridge.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Harold Vanderbilt it is.

Not the original Vanderbilt, who in most people's minds would likely have been Cornelius.

Gloria's great grandfather (William Henry - "Billy") was Harold's grandfather; hence, second cousins once removed.

As Lobo mentioned, Harold essentially invented contract bridge while sailing through the Panama Canal. What he did, in a nutshell, was to come up with a scoring method different from that of auction bridge, with bonuses for games bid and made, and slams bid and made, as well as the idea of vulnerability, which increases the rewards and penalties.

Later clues would have mentioned his familial affiliation with a private university in the SEC, and his service on the board of directors of his family's railroad holdings. And, perhaps, his having won the trophy named after himself.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2019, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2019, landmark wrote:

But I'm still stuck.

There you go, Landmark...Harold Vanderbilt essentially invented contract (as opposed to auction) bridge.

See, Lobo? I told you that you should participate in this thread.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yeah, I was totally unaware of Harold. And Cornelius, surprising to me, was born too early--1794 according to ERW! BTW, I thought Ely Culbertson was the contract bridge originator.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2019, landmark wrote:
BTW, I thought Ely Culbertson was the contract bridge originator.

That what he wanted you to think!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
And his diabolical plan worked.

I don't know if that counts as a win on my part, but if it does, I'll pass it onwards.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
1. I was born into a low income family.
2. Worked as a radio sports commentator.
3. My father nicknamed me “Dutch”.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Just so no one thinks less of me, I will be off line for the next week or so. No worries, I will be back soon.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Dutch Schultz
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Not Mr. Schultz.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
Even I know that one, pretty sure. But I'll shut up for awhile.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I know only two other Dutches.

Dutch Meyer?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
4. I did motivational speaking for GE.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
"Dutch" Reagan
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I had a sneaking suspicion this would be too easy!

5. My name is within a star on a famous sidewalk in Hollywood.
6. My wife was also in the movies.
7. First a Democrat, I later switched to Republican.
8. I worked to root out communism.
9. I represented the labor union for actors.
10. Was elected Governor of California.
11. Won the Republican presidential nomination.
12. Became the 40th President of the United States.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..57..71..85..99..112~113~114 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL