The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..33..63..93..123..149~150~151~152~153..162..170..178..186..193~194~195 [Next]
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
I was born in in Brooklyn NY in 1897.

I died in Los Angeles CA in 1975 (at the age of 77).

I developed an interest in show business at an early age, playing "hooky" from school to attend theatrical performances (and I ended up dropping out of high school).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
James Cagney
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
Not Jimmy.

I was part of a long-lived comedy troupe that started in vaudeville before blossoming into a film and TV career that endured (with just a small handful of personnel changes) for four decades.

Two of my brothers were, at different times, part of the act/team (one brother succeeded/replaced the other).

Our theatrical film run essentially came to an end in 1958 when our movie studio abruptly dropped us, but subsequent reruns of our work on TV revitalized and relaunched our popularity among a new generation of fans.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Groucho Marx?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
Not Groucho, but good guess -- in the ballpark.

My comedy team was a trio.

For most of its history, two of us who were in it were always brothers (myself and a non-brother were there for the entire run, while the third position was filled first by one of my brothers, then by another, before eventually being replaced by another non-brother).

We worked for most of our careers making theatrical "shorts" (brief comedies shown along with cartoons, newsreels, and other "short subjects" prior to the main event of the feature film being shown).
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Morris (Moe) Howard
Magic is like Science,
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
Bingo! But team leader Moe was Moses (not Morris) Horwitz (changed to Howard for show biz).

Stooge #2, Larry Fine (originally Louis Feinberg), was a non-brother.

Stooge #3 was at first brother Shemp Howard (Samuel Horwitz) during their early vaudeville days. When their short-film Hollywood career began, that slot was first filled by younger brother Curly Howard (Jerome Horwitz); after a debilitating stroke, Shemp returned to replace Curly. When Shemp died of a sudden heart attack, he was replaced by Joe Besser for the brief remainder of their short-film career.

When TV revived the Three Stooges' popularity, the boys began making lots of public appearances and a few feature-length comedies. Stooge #3 for this final phase was Curly Joe DeRita (Joseph Wardell).

Cliff, you're up again! (Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have always wanted to start one of these by saying, "I was born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day." but I've never been able to think of anyone who would fit the criteria. So we leave that alone for a while.

Here is our next mystery guest.....

1. I was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1924.
2. My dad was a furniture upholsterer, and mom also worked in the garment industry.
3. In high school I played football and was active in Drama.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
4. In my youth, I suffered from Bell's Palsy. It left me with a minor slur in my speech for the rest of my life.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
5. During high school I spent some time in the Catskills trying to do audience warm-up, stand-up comedy. I don't think I got one laugh.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
6. I served my country after high school by enlisting in the U.S. Army. In world War II I operated an anti aircraft gun.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
7. Discharged from the service, I began to do stand up at a local club in Brooklyn. This time it went better, and some key people took notice.
Magic is like Science,
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Henny Youngman?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Not Henny...

8. By 1950 I had been spotted working a small part in a Broadway show and was soon given small movie roles.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
9. As my movie and stage careers were taking off, in the 50s and 60s I was all over TV talk shows and Game shows.
10. Later it would be suggested that I was the most common guest on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show."
Magic is like Science,
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Most common Carson guest was probably Charo, but I don't know who the most frequent was Smile

Charles Nelson Reilly?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Not Charles...

11. I married my wife in 1955. We stayed married and were only parted by my death. We had three children.
Magic is like Science,
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Rickles? Hmm..no, I think he married late. Dangerfield was married a bunch of times.

Jerry Stiller?
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Dick Martin?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Not Jerry, Not Dick.

12. With my career in full swing, There was a rumor circulated about me, that I had auditioned as a replacement for the recently departed "Stooge" Curley (Jerome) Howard. Apparently, I was offered the role and turned it down as it did not fit the style of comedy I was working for. There is neither evidence nor truth to this rumor. At the time (the mid-50s) it seemed to make sense.
Magic is like Science,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..33..63..93..123..149~150~151~152~153..162..170..178..186..193~194~195 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL