The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..35..67..99..131..160~161~162~163~164..184..203..222..241..258~259~260 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Long shot based on James Earl Jones, age, and the name Carleton: Roscoe Lee Browne?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Mr. Nightlinger it is!

Do you know the show?

I was all set to tell y'all that he had a baritone voice like a sable coat, that he toured the country with Anthony Zerbe giving poetry readings (amongst other things), and that when told that he sounded "too white", he replied that he was sorry, that he had once had a white maid. I feared that I might have to divulge that he was once mistaken by Archie Bunker for "that <French> singer: Morris Chevrolet". What I hoped would be the final clue was arguably his most famous line from film, delivered to Colleen Dewhurst: "I have the inclination, the maturity, and the wherewithal. Unfortunately . . . I don't have the time."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I don't, which is why it was a long shot--but the name Carlton made me think maybe an African-American actor, and with James Earl Jones as a possible collaborator, I then tried to think of an African-American actor/writer who was a bit older than JEJ. So Roscoe Lee Browne came to mind. He was one of those character actors who often popped up in unexpected places.

I'm going to have to pass right now.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
This one shouldn't take too long...

1. I was born in 1919.
2. Most people probably never realized I was British.
3. Over my lifetime I held three different citizenships, British, Canadian, and American.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
4. I served in the Canadian Navy during WWII
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
5. Before going to war, I had started a career in radio. After the war, I resumed that career.
Magic is like Science,
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Paul Winchell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Nice try, but not Paul Winchell

6. I soon left the world of radio, and found great success on stage, in movies, and on television.
Magic is like Science,
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, S2000magician wrote:
Paul Winchell

Just a quick word re: Winchell. As a kid, I LOVED his book, "Ventriloquism for Fun and Profit". Lots of info, even tells you how to make your own doll...being a kid, my attempt failed miserably Smile Also stories and anecdotes from his career up to that point. If you're a Winchell fan, and haven't read it, you might find it a lovely trip down memory lane.

Ok, carry on Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Groucho Marx
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Nope, not Groucho.

7. I used my real last name in my professional life, but I did shorten and Americanize my first name just a bit.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
8. For three seasons, starting in 1950 I was the star of a self-titled TV show. The show did well and I won an Emmy award. Although I was later nominated for other awards, this would be the only real award I would win.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
9. After my own show wrapped up, I made a few movies, some more memorable than others. In 1961 I got my big break and my name became a household word.
Magic is like Science,
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ernie Kovacs?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Cool guess Chessman, but no, not Ernie.

10. In 1961 I was cast in a Sitcom that would run for five years and bring me lots of success. Even though I was the top-billed star, many people felt I was not the true star of the show.
Magic is like Science,
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Bill Bixby
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Sorry, Not Bill, but I like where you were going with that one.

11. After the series ended, I was immediately offered another series, I declined saying I wanted a break. I did film an unaired pilot for it though. At 5'4" Superheroes really weren't my thing, even klutzy ones.
12. Note, I was 5'4", and I never claimed differently. Some publicists and the like have tried to pass me off as 5'10"
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
13. In the late 1960s I retired from acting. But that would not last long.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
14. In the 1970s aside from appearing on many TV shows and in many movies, I found a new career as a voice-over artist. I was best known for a Disney character that I voiced for about 30 years.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
15. I really kept working, though mostly voice till close to my death at age 96.
Magic is like Science,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..35..67..99..131..160~161~162~163~164..184..203..222..241..258~259~260 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL