We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..39..75..111..147..180~181~182~183~184..190..195..200..205..210..212~213~214 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
S2000 posted while I was putting my last post together. Great stab Smile but not Reagan.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Chuck Conners
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Another great stab (!), but my beloved Rifleman is not the one I am thinking of.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I made my television debut in 1955 as Abraham Lincoln in the Screen Director's Playhouse adaptation "Lincoln's Doctor's Dog." As I explained to reporters, despite financial considerations, I preferred to steer clear of any commitment to a TV series:

"The only money in TV is in the series, and I want to stay out of those. Sure, I might make a million or so in a series, but I'd wind up being 'Sidewinder Sam' for the rest of my life."

I remained true to these convictions, appearing in many television series, but always as a guest star.

I never appeared in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, but was considered for the role of Commodore Matt Decker in the 1967 episode "The Doomsday Machine". The episode had been written with me in mind to play Decker, but I had prior commitments. That role went to William Windom (editor's note: would have loved to have seen him in this role, but Windom did a marvelous job).
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Hal Holbrook
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Not Hal.

I told Lee Marvin's character I thought he was an disorganized, undisciplined clown, and that I was going to make it my business run him right out of this army.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Walter Winchel
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm runnin' outta alliterations here.

Army Archer

Dan Duryea

Lorenzo Lamas

Monte Markham

Richard Roundtree

Sam Shepard
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
You're 'red hot' (name alliteration-wise) with Richard Roundtree.

My wife and I lived in The Dakota at 72nd and Central Park West in Manhattan and eventually sub-let the apartment to John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

I played Lee Marvin's antagonist in "The Dirty Dozen" (not one of the 'dozen'). I was also in

Bad Day at Black Rock - 1955
King of Kings - 1961
The Longest Day - 1962
Billy Budd - 1962
Battle of the Bulge - 1965
The Professionals - 1966
The Wild Bunch - 1969
The Iceman Cometh - 1973 my last film role.

I died of cancer in 1973, age 63.

Right before passing I said, "I've been lucky as hell with my career and my family."

From a profile written after my death:

"Born to play beautifully tortured, angry souls... He was a familiar movie face for more than two decades in Hollywood's classical years, his studio ups and downs, independent detours and outlier adventures paralleling the arc of American cinema as it went from a national pastime to near collapse. A little prettier and he might have been one of the golden boys of the golden age. But there could be something a touch menacing about his face (something open and sweet too), which bunched as tight as a fist, and his towering height (he stood 6 foot 4) at times loomed like a threat. The rage boiled up in him so quickly. It made him seem dangerous. He was known for his villains, and it was the complexity of these characters, their emotional and psychological kinks, that elevated even his lesser roles. He never achieved the supernova stardom of a Gable or Bogart, and these days Ryan's glower may be more familiar than his name. Yet he was the type of next-level star and B-movie stalwart that helped make old Hollywood great."

I'll give up the name of the mystery man, next, as there's not much more to say. He was someone whom everyone knew when he was alive and making pictures, but the memory of his name did not seem to last commensurate with his career, imho.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2021, Chessmann wrote:
You're 'red hot' (name alliteration-wise) with Richard Roundtree.

I assume with Ronald Reagan as well.

I thought of two whom I'd missed: Alan Arkin and Sylvester Stallone.

Oh, and Adam Arkin, of course.

None of whom are old enough to be correct.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Well, my wife looked up the cast of The Dirty Dozen and told me the answer. I never would have gotten it.

She said that she remembers him.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Robert Ryan was a big, known name in his day, but for whatever reason his star and memory faded rather quickly after he passed. Perhaps it is because of his thinking on not getting involved in a TV series. A TV series would have put him before the country on a weekly basis, perhaps for many years - even today via reruns. Not to mention, in many of the biggest films he appeared in, though his name was always near the top of the cast list, he was not the main character (Spencer Tracy was the main character in "Bad Day at Black Rock", for example...if you haven't seen that, HIGHLY recommended!).

Great, great actor. I counted 76 feature films between 1940 - 1973. Reading about him, I wasn't aware that he had done as much live theatre as he had.

Guess it's open season for whoever wants to go next.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I lost a turn a while ago, so I'll jump in.

1. I was born in Los Angeles, CA.

2. My parents were both elders in the Presbyterian church.

3. I was at one point a nationally ranked tennis player.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Robert Culp.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Not Robert.

4. I attended Swarthmore College, UCLA, and Stanford.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1340 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Richard Mulligan?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Richard Bradley aka Renee Richards
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Nope: not Richard/Renee.

5. I held Bachelor's degrees in English and Physics, a Master's degree in Physics, and a PhD in Physics.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Nothing but crickets, S2000 ... what's your next clue?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
6. I was mentioned in a well-known Billy Joel song.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..39..75..111..147..180~181~182~183~184..190..195..200..205..210..212~213~214 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL