The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..53..103..153..203..250~251~252~253~254..258~259~260 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2022, arthur stead wrote:
Is this someone not many people would have heard of?

I can't say for certain. When her name was mentioned on Reacher (as an alias), I thought, "Oh, I know who she is!"

14. Two years later, I received the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for my novel The Optimist's Daughter.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1776 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Well, I'm assuming this is a Black woman author, and the only two I can think of are Maya Angelou and Toni Morrison. I wrote the music for a Simon & Schuster "books on tape" for one of them, but I can't remember which one.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Not Ms. Angelou, and not Ms. Morrison.

And not black.

15. I lectured at Harvard University, and eventually adapted my talks as a three-part memoir titled One Writer's Beginnings.

16. I received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Jimmy Carter in 1980.

17. Throughout the 1970s, I carried on a lengthy correspondence with novelist Ross Macdonald, creator of Lew Archer.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
423 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I'm trying to muster a guess but admit I am stumped!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1776 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I've been racking my brain (or what's left of it) too, Alan. But I'm also at a loss.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
18. My name rhymes with nude-flora shelty.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
LOL. Eudora Welty.

And if it's not her, then Senora Bellci
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1776 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Congrats if that’s the right person, Landmark. But since so few people ventured any guesses during this round, I correctly presumed that this was an obscure person unfamiliar to many of us. Which kind of nullifies the game, because regular participants usually pick someone most folks would have heard of.

Otherwise, I might as well ask questions like “Who was the original bass player for The Yardbirds?” No one would know that. (Not even me).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, arthur stead wrote:
Congrats if that’s the right person, Landmark. But since so few people ventured any guesses during this round, I correctly presumed that this was an obscure person unfamiliar to many of us. Which kind of nullifies the game, because regular participants usually pick someone most folks would have heard of.

With all due respect, Arthur, there have been a few people here of whom I've never heard, so I wouldn't agree with anyone saying that because they didn't know the name, the person is necessarily obscure. Who's to day that Fedora wouldn't have gotten her in a few clues? Or karnak? Or Cliff? That they didn't guess doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know; they may be off doing other things at the moment.

In short, your comment came across as if I had deliberately picked someone who was obscure. I'm sure that you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it sounded.

I, for one, have known of Ms. Welty as long as I can remember, and I have no idea why, as I cannot recall having read any of her works. When I heard the name on Reacher, I thought, "I know her. That'll be a good one for three clues."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1776 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, arthur stead wrote:
Congrats if that’s the right person, Landmark. But since so few people ventured any guesses during this round, I correctly presumed that this was an obscure person unfamiliar to many of us. Which kind of nullifies the game, because regular participants usually pick someone most folks would have heard of.

With all due respect, Arthur, there have been a few people here of whom I've never heard, so I wouldn't agree with anyone saying that because they didn't know the name, the person is necessarily obscure. Who's to day that Fedora wouldn't have gotten her in a few clues? Or karnak? Or Cliff? That they didn't guess doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know; they may be off doing other things at the moment.

In short, your comment came across as if I had deliberately picked someone who was obscure. I'm sure that you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it sounded.

I, for one, have known of Ms. Welty as long as I can remember, and I have no idea why, as I cannot recall having read any of her works. When I heard the name on Reacher, I thought, "I know her. That'll be a good one for three clues."


No, Bill, I wasn’t implying that you chose this name deliberately. But in all honesty, none of your clues rang a bell. Not the personalities mentioned, not the articles or quotes, not the administrations or historical landmarks, none of the books or awards … nada. That’s why I felt this was a person not many folks would have heard of.

If you like, we can pose a question to Fedora, Karnak, Cliff and others, and ask whether they were familiar with Ms. Welty. But in future, can we please select well-known mystery personalities?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, arthur stead wrote:
But in future, can we please select well-known mystery personalities?

The point, Arthur, is that I thought that I did.

What's well-known to one of us is not necessarily well-known to another of us.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1776 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, arthur stead wrote:
But in future, can we please select well-known mystery personalities?

The point, Arthur, is that I thought that I did.

What's well-known to one of us is not necessarily well-known to another of us.


You are absolutely correct. By the way, you really seem to like the TV series Reacher!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, arthur stead wrote:
By the way, you really seem to like the TV series Reacher!

It's had only one season. My wife decided to give it a peek last week.

I've never read any of the books, but apparently the lead actor is a lot closer in appearance to the character in the novels than Tom Cruise is.

The writing's pretty good; i.e., the characters are saying things that seem like the sorts of things real people would say in those situations. Too many recent (and, for some reason, popular) shows suffer from awful writing: preachy, instantly capitulating, shallow, you name it. I'll leave it to you to decide which ones fit that bill.

Apparently it's been renewed for a second season. Here's hoping the caliber of writing remains.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, landmark wrote:
LOL. Eudora Welty.

And if it's not her, then Senora Bellci

Great . . . I was going to use Sra. Bellci for my next mystery guest.

So much for that idea.

You're up!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1776 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
OK Landmark, you're up ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1776 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
So ……. is anyone still interested in this game? Or shall we just call it quits?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sorry. Here we go:

1. My first name is actually Howard, but you will know me better by my middle name

2. Born in West Lake, Iowa

3. My 3 brothers and I made our Las Vegas debut in 1947 with a female singing star and very quickly became the highest paid nightclub act in the world--but you know me best and probably exclusively as a single act.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
4. Though a lifelong Republican, I sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic at RFK's funeral at Ethel's request.

5. For two decades I was a part owner of the NBA Phoenix Suns.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
6. I hosted the Grammys for seven consecutive years.

7. I was an outspoken defender of John Lennon's right to stay in the United States
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Marvin Gaye
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guess Who With Three Clues (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..53..103..153..203..250~251~252~253~254..258~259~260 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL