The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Magic of Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1794 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Why do you need music?

First and foremost, music adds drama. It creates an intriguing mood or atmosphere. That's pretty good to start with. But music is beneficial in so many other ways.

You can use it to highlight key moments in a routine. Music can paint a picture, evoke a time period, and energize your act. Mysterious pre-show music suggests an air of expectation. "Volunteer music" fills dead space while you're waiting for a helper to reach the stage. A personal theme song underscores and defines your character. And from a purely technical standpoint, music is extremely useful for disguising unwanted noise caused by "talking" props.

Perhaps the most magical capacity of music is that it can command the attention of a whole room full of children. For that reason alone, we can't afford NOT to use music!

Try a little experiment: Turn on your TV and channel surf for a little while. Check out a couple of dramas or reality shows. Watch a tasteful movie. Look at soap operas, sitcoms, news programs, and even product commercials. Also, think about all your video games. What common thread runs through all these visual distractions? Music!

All these forms of entertainment use music to connect with their audiences. Their producers understand that music affects people on a subconscious level. Just think about it: Music can make you want to dance. It can inspire you to sing. It can cause you to feel happy, sad, forlorn, or invigorated. Scary music gives you the creeps. Joyful music makes your spirit roar. In essence, music is what feelings sound like. It "speaks" what cannot be expressed.

Competent film composers use this knowledge to write music which draws the viewers in, allowing them to experience the on-screen action on a deeper, subliminal level. Well, I'm here to tell you, you can accomplish the same thing in YOUR live performances! With careful forethought, the right piece of music complimenting the right routine will involve your audiences profoundly and touch them emotionally.

No matter what sort of shows you do, music ... (used properly) ... will add a whole new dimension to your act. It will turn your performance into a theatrical experience as opposed to being just an ordinary magic show. Whether your performance venue is living rooms, classrooms, theaters or TV ... music can enhance your visual actions and let your audiences experience your magic on a deeper level.

The secret is in knowing WHAT the right music is for your magic routines, and WHERE and WHEN and HOW you use it.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
scenic effects
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of scenic effects
I totally agree with you; I started adding music to my shows about 15 years ago and never looked back! I have several of your excellent music tracks and consider your expertise and musical contributions a treasure to all magicians. Music often speaks louder than words.
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
169 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
I would love to add music but I do struggle with what Arthur said..
>>The secret is in knowing WHAT the right music is for your magic routines, and WHERE and WHEN and HOW you use it.

So any tips on how to learn this?

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2019, amazingvijay wrote:
I would love to add music but I do struggle with what Arthur said..
>>The secret is in knowing WHAT the right music is for your magic routines, and WHERE and WHEN and HOW you use it.

So any tips on how to learn this?

Vijay

1st you have to have a sense of rhythm, then you have to play the music selections over and over. As you listen to the music, you have to visualize your effects in your mind while the music is playing. That will tell you which tunes will fit your place in the effects. Then when you think you have discovered a selection, get out your effects and go through them as the music is playing. See if anything fits that effect and your actions.

It is a lot of work, and time, but it can pay off in the end. Just like in the movies, you don't play music when you are talking. There use to be books on the subject, but I don't know if they are available any longer.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
169 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Magic of Music (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL