The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to display five cards as four by "squiggling" two cards in one hand and "two" in the other (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I saw this lovely display somewhere, but I can't remember where, and I'm hoping someone can describe the move or tell me its name so I can look it up. Magician has a packet of five cards, breaks it into two packets, one in each hand. One hand holds two cards, the other holds three, but it *appears* that each hand holds two. To further "prove" that she has only four cards total, the magician slides each pair of cards around against each other -- that's what I meant by "squiggling."

Obviously one card is hidden by another in the three-card hand, but I don't know the mechanics of getting into position and doing the squiggling without the extra card showing.

Thanks for any help people can offer -- a name, a source, a description...

Regards,

Bob
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Paul Harris Squiggle Flourish? Honestly not certain but I've been doing it for a long time.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Sounds like Bob Stencel’s squiggle display (perfect name, no?). It’s one of those moves that’s so standard, it’s rarely accompanied by a credit. I seem to recall a description in one of Paul Harris’ books (included, no doubt, in the Art of Astonishment series). I’m sure someone can chime in with a specific reference.

For a related technique, look up Arturo de Ascanio’s Open Display. Not a crucial credit or relative of the Stencel move — Ascanio’s just always worth mentioning, regardless of the context.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Tortuga and Rupert. I'll look into these leads. Yes, it's hard to imagine using any word besides "squiggle"! Great word.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I believe Rupert is correct with the "Stencil Squiggle Display." That's the term I have seen applied to it.

Mike
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Mike. I think you're right. (It's Bob Stencel, by the way, with an e in the second syllable.)

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a handling. I bought "KIllerz" by Paul Lelekis (sp?) because a customer reviewer said that the move was taught there. But it isn't really taught; it's just a couple of sentences that essentially say what I said in my original post - no details of which fingers go where. Somewhere I saw that Bill Malone teaches it on his DVD On the Loose 2, but I'm loathe to spend the $26.00 for just one move, especially since I don't know how much detail Malone goes into. So, if someone knows of a good, detailed description of the handling, or would even be willing to take the time to write such a description in a PM, I'd be grateful.

In related news -- and this is especially to Rupert -- I looked up Ascanio's Open Display in Card College. That move would suit my purposes just as well if I can learn it. (I never know how hard sleights will be for me until I try them.) So that's an alternative if I can't find a source for Stencel's work. The latter is so delightfully whimsical that I'd really like to try it, though.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Just realized that Giobbi describes the squiggling action when he discusses Ascanio's Open Display; I missed that when I looked last night. What an amazing book! So many treasures buried there. So I'll work from Card College; I may be back again if I have trouble.

Thanks folks,

Bob
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Bob, glad you found it. Just remember not to "overplay" it. It is a convincer but if you overdue anything it comes off as a move. Just be casual.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for the advice, Tortuga. I'm realizing more and more that I have to practice moves a lot more than the "a lot" I'm already doing as a first step to making moves casual.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The wiggle display is also described on page 31 of the June 2006 issue of Genii Magazine. You'll probably also like the Jack Parker card routines and the David Ben article on Dai Vernon.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Jon. At the moment I don't subscribe to Genii, but I see it in my future.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Thanks for the reference Jon. It sounded a bit like an Ascanio Spread variation; so I will look through my old Genii's. For Bob G: As far as buying Bill Malone's DVDs, log into L & L magic, and keep in touch. They recently had a sale where you could buy 3 dvds for $8 each, and Bill's tapes were among those offered. 3 dvds of your favorite magicians for $24 beats $26 for just one. Lynn
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Lynn. It was a great sale, and I bought some dvd's. I'll wait for another sale; in the meantime I'd be curious to hear from someone who owns On the Loose 2 whether they feel that Malone explains the move in adequate detail. I'm still at the point where I need a fair amount of detail.

See you,

Bob
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
...or you can find it described in Jon Racherbaumer´s Modus Operandi, Issue 1, March 25, 1993, Invisible Palm Festival, under the name "Bob Stencel´s Display Flourish" (or probably with a typo: "Fourish"...)

All the best,

Axel
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Thanks, Jon. At the moment I don't subscribe to Genii, but I see it in my future.
They sell back issues.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Axelchen and Jon. I just tried ordering the back issue and got some kind of server error. I'll try again tomorrow.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Also Gary Ouellet has a version in Close Up Illusions. From what I recall it's his version of the Ascanio Spread.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'll take a look, Russell. I have Ouellet's book so no new money to spend! As I think about it, I think it's one of his Paradise counts.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
It's described in the Cannibal card routine in the book.

For a beautiful alternative that displays the cards (5 as 4) in a fan check out Showstoppers with Cards by Fred Braue.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Russell. Another one to look into!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to display five cards as four by "squiggling" two cards in one hand and "two" in the other (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL