The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming Soon - Totally Free Will by Mark Chandaue (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3413 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Provisional release date is 28th November 2019. I still have a couple of ducks to get in a row to be able to meet this date but these should all be done by the weekend. Once that release date is secure I will open up pre-orders.

Here is the ad copy. Feedback on this copy would be appreciated. I have tried to limit hyperbole and terms such as “the last word” or “best” and it is my intention that the ad copy be honest. Let me know if you think I have missed the mark.

In 2004 Deddy Corbuzier released his original Free Will routine and it has since become known as a classic of modern mentalism. Mark Chandaue has spent around 10 years developing, refining and exploring new methods and approaches to this famous effect. Some of this thinking has been shared with a handful of close friends and collaborators and included in lectures. However, until now, he has resisted calls to release his complete work on this plot and held back most of those versions for his own exclusive use. Now for the first time you can learn his full work on the ‘Free Will’ plot from this acknowledged expert.

Through his previous releases Harpacrown and Ophiuchus, as well as his face to face lectures, Mark has become known for practical material that has been fully audience tested. With 40 years working in magic and mentalism, Mark’s name has become synonymous with high quality, workable material.

Totally Free Will is a deluxe Collectors edition 176 page hard back book that has been fully illustrated by Phill Smith and beautifully produced by Haresign Press. With a foreword by Deddy Corbuzier himself and contributions from Mick Wilson, Steve Drury, Stephen Young, Drew Backenstoss, Mark Elsdon, Michael Murray and Patrick Redford.

Inside these pages are 15 approaches to the ‘Free Will’ premise. The routines cover a variety of different presentations and methods that all build on the original ‘Free Will’ concept but often lead to versions that feel like completely new effects. Included are presentations based on graphology readings, voice reading, influence, predictions and games of Rock, Paper, Scissors! There is even a version that can be performed over the phone. In the title effect every choice is completely free, the prediction is completely unambiguous, and the participant holds the top of the prediction before any choices are made and never lets go - yet still it is shown to be correct!

Also included is a full description of Mark’s Chandauelope, a utility device utilised by many well known mentalists including on T.V. This devious envelope was first described in Harpacrown and now is expanded to allow for up to six outs.

Totally Free Will really is the most comprehensive work on the ‘Free Will’ plot to date.

“Mark has applied his left field thinking to the Free Will premise with excellent results. Different methods are explored as are their presentations and everything has that Chandaue attention to detail that makes sure everything has meaning and context.” -Darren Woolf

“By using a couple of techniques and principles together Mark has come up with a routine I would love to perform... your participant can literally do anything, choose anything, change their mind, swap with you - or with the item they freely chose to discard earlier, why not?? Change their mind again, and again if they wish.... and yet: you have predicted the final outcome of this game.” - Phedon Bilek

“The teaching and attention to details are an absolute joy to read” - Gary Lawrence

“Thank you Mark for making this little Gem Glow....” - Deddy Corbuzier
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available to Pre-order
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=pre-order-totally-free-will
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3413 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This is now with the printer and will be released on 28th November 2019.

You can pre-order it here.

http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=pre......ree-will

Maek
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
192 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
Order placed! I can't wait to receive it.
corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Same here, can’t wait. An early Xmas present!!!!!
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1333 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I have a full review coming next week, but as a precursor:

This is a fantastic release. If you have any interest in the free will plot, you must have this in your collection. This book has the best of the best when it comes to this particular plot. As well as Mark Chandaue’s work on the plot, the book also includes pieces by Patrick Redford, Michael Murray, Mark Elsdon, Drew Backenstoss, and others.

There are methods that allow you have zero ambiguity in the prediction, methods that allow your participants to have totally free choices from beginning to end, and some which allow you to do both at the same time.

This most certainly pushes this plot into new territory. My personal favorite is the “Free Lunch” principle. I’ve shared with Mark a method which allows you to do it anytime anywhere—this is the version I will be using the most.

As I said, full review to come, but if you like the plot, you won’t be disappointed with anything in this.

Madison
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
246 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2019, MadisonH wrote:

As I said, full review to come, but if you like the plot, you won’t be disappointed with anything in this.

What if you generally hate the plot? I'm tempted to buy just to see what's in the book (so many great thinkers on this). But if you're just not a fan of Free Will at all, is it still worth it?
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1333 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2019, no2ss wrote:
What if you generally hate the plot? I'm tempted to buy just to see what's in the book (so many great thinkers on this). But if you're just not a fan of Free Will at all, is it still worth it?

Well I guess that depends... why do you hate the plot?

Obviously, this is an entire piece of work around one plot. If you absolutely hate that plot, buying an entire book on it may not be so great.

But if you don’t like the plot because of the usual method used, and that’s the only thing holding you back, then this just may change your opinion.

I would say hold off for my full reviews and you’ll have a better idea of what is in the book.
Madison
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3413 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I would say that if you hate the plot this might just change your mind. The very first version in the book was not born out of hating the plot but was born out of asking why predict such a set of strange choices in the first place. It provides a logical reason for making the prediction as well as providing a little more than simply the prediction. However this particular version is in Harpacrown. There are three versions in the book that don’t look like the free will effect at all but instead are framed as games of Rock Paper Scissors.

There are several methods in here that could be applied to other effects and of course you learn how to make a nice 2-way, 4-way and 6-way envelope. So even if you hate the plot there will likely be things in the book that you will like.

Mark
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1154 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Ordered, looking forward to a good read and some amazing twists on the Free Will plot.

Good luck with the book release.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3413 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Currently I have this as free shipping during the pre-order period. Once released I won’t be able to offer free shipping on this because it simply isn’t economically viable. The margins on this are not great because I have gone for premium quality in every respect. At this price the sensible thing would have been a soft back with photos rather than going top end in every department for example the hard back covering is only 1 step down from leather, and it’s gold embossed to add that touch of elegance. Photos rather than hand drawn illustrations would have saved a fortune too.

However I would not be happy with anything less that a book that I would be proud to own myself regardless of the retail price. The result though is a book that (based on Harpacrown Collectors Edition) will cost around £15 to ship internationally. By comparison the cost to produce this is around double the cost to produce the standard (soft back) edition of Harpacrown. With free shipping on orders direct from me when you factor in that a lot of these will go through retailers where my cut is significantly lower than direct from me, I have to sell a huge amount just to break even.

Whilst profit is never the driving force behind my releases it would be nice to make a few quid on this Smile

Mark
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Just placed my order on a book I highly highly recommended after reviewing 3 chapters already .
Can’t wait for this one Gaz 🙂
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of philraso
Ordered!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5601 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
My son ordered a copy for me. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3413 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Thanks to all who have placed their confidence in my work and pre-ordered this. I have had word back from the printer, all is on track for hitting the release date. I am expecting to start shipping the pre-orders in the middle of next week.

Mark
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1333 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Sorry for the delay. Here’s my review:

Generally, this whole book is an exploration of the free will plot, but more specifically, *practically* every version in this book eliminates the I/You ambiguous aspect of free will.

Free Lunch - This is the one that starts it all. This uses several classic principles with fresh air breathed into them and combined to give you a really simple and incredibly direct free will effect. Mark also shares his beautiful updates to the out to lunch principle including a clever justification for a signature. This one also introduces a procedure which Mark calls equivoque, but I genuinely believe this is an advanced version of equivoque which feels NOTHING like equivoque. It’s very well thought out and written.

Free Balling - This version uses three different colored paper balls instead of objects. This allows you to eliminate the need for a stack of business cards (thereby eliminating the out to lunch principle.) This version also introduces a streamlined equivoque process. I love this streamlined version. Like before, I wouldn’t even call this equivoque. It’s such an advanced form. There’s none of the classic Magician’s choice language that magicians (and laymen) associate with magicians choice. The process feels very fair and they make all of the choices necessary with just one sentence being uttered by the performer. I think it’s brilliant.

Three Will - This one introduces a brand new concept I’ve never seen before. Without revealing too much, it allows you to make an ambiguous prediction with a drawn image which feels totally impossible to be ambiguous. The main difference is this is played between three people (the magician and two others.) To perform this one as written, you will need a detection device of some sort (such as sixth sense)

Free Will Rock You - This version is played with a physical representation of rock, paper, and scissors. Once again you need a detection device to perform it as written. In this version, the prediction tells who wins the game of rock paper and scissors between the magician and the participant. Mark pointed out to me, you can perform this without the detection device if you refer back to the equivoque process from the first two routines in the book.

Totally Three Will - This version gives the spectator 100% freedom in where they choose to place each object and yet, your prediction is totally correct. It uses the stack of business cards again but this time, there’s something extra added which gives you an insane amount of clarity in the placement of the objects.

Totally Way Out Free Will - This version is similar to the one before but in this case, the prediction is written on a folded piece of paper which is in view from the beginning. (You will need to be familiar with a Marc Oberon product to do this version.)

Fuel Injected Free Will - This uses a popular magic app to give you a photo prediction of where the items will be.

Quartermaster’s Coin by Steve Drury - This one is a larger performance piece with a stack of luggage tags and a coin which secretly holds a prediction. It’s themed around secrets and spies

Free Will Coins by Stephen Young - The free will is performed with three coins. The eliminated coin then bends. Admittedly, this is my least favorite one in the book. I feel the selection process in this is the fishiest and unlike any other selection process you’d see in real life. Mark assures me it plays better than it reads—and I’m sure that’s the case, but with so many other great variants in the book, I will PERSONALLY perform one of the others. There’s certainly value in the piece and it deserves to be in the book. It’s just my least favorite in comparison with the rest of the material presented.

Rock Paper Tricker by Mark Elsdon - This is a fascinating version of the plot. The performer writes a prediction which is folded and left in full view. Three business cards are then removed and the performer writes one word on each. The participant shuffles, pockets one, and divides the last two between the performer and another spectator. The cards are revealed to each bare a word: either rock, paper, or scissors. The prediction is revealed. It perfectly predicts who has which word and who beats who. It includes the participants name on the prediction for clarity.

Group Dynamics by Drew Backenstoss - This can be found in architect of the mind. You play a round of word association then a round of free will. At the end, your prediction is correct of who holds what, and then they open your wallet to find a second prediction which correctly reveals the last word of the word association game. This is a very solid piece which is perfect for mix and mingle situations. I loved it in architect of the mind. It’s just as great in this format.

The Will of the City by Michael Murray - This is a version of free will that can be performed over the phone. The participant puts you on speaker and puts the phone facedown on the table. You send a text and tell them not to read it. They get three objects, shuffle them up, put one in their pocket and dedicate one to the performer. They check the text and it perfectly predicted where each object would be. A very effective version and very Michael Murray.

Improbity by Patrick Redford - This is Patrick’s wonderful solution to the I/You ambiguity. In this prediction written on a post it note, it clearly states who will read the prediction and clearly states the performers name in it to remove all ambiguity. It can be seen in his penguin lecture and in a book/digital book with the same name. Wonderful take on the plot.

Chandaulope - Here Mark shares how to make his Chandaulope (his two way out envelope) He goes further to teach how it can be made to hold 4 outs. And then he tops that by showing how it can be constructed to hold 6 outs.

Totally Free Will - The spectators get to keep half of a torn prediction from the beginning. After they make their selections of where to place each item, they open both halves, put them together, and find the performer predicted their choices with perfect clarity and no ambiguity. This is Mark’s ultimate version. It takes some work to make it up properly, but once you do, you have a very solid piece which is pretty much the “ultimate” solution and it has a very intriguing presentation (which can be applied to many of the earlier versions)

Overall, I would highly recommend this book. If you have any interest in the free will plot, this is the best of the best. It’s also taught very well and Mark’s humor shines throughout. If you’ve never been a fan of the free will plot, odds are, there’s at least one version in this book that will change your mind.

Madison
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Thanks for the review Madison, you have just made me want it even more, can't wait for next week! I have been performing Jimmy Fingers Free Will of Order a lot over the last year or so, and when I have the chance using Mark's two way out idea from Harpacrown so there is no ambiguity, and it is so strong, can't wait to read what Mark has come up with.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming Soon - Totally Free Will by Mark Chandaue (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL