The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 9/11 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Curious to know which artist(s) performed, Tom?

Cake and Ben Folds.

I'm not too surprised. Concerts are fun and 9/11 is a downer. Especially for audience members who weren't born yet.
Imagine Duran Duran in the 80's taking a moment of silence for the Kennedy assassination.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5689 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
9/11 is a downer. Especially for audience members who weren't born yet.

That is exactly why it needs to not be ignored.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Curious to know which artist(s) performed, Tom?

Cake and Ben Folds.

I'm not too surprised. Concerts are fun and 9/11 is a downer. Especially for audience members who weren't born yet.
Imagine Duran Duran in the 80's taking a moment of silence for the Kennedy assassination.

Yea. Also I think time and place matter and you sort of imply it is not the time and place. I pretty much agree.

Does anyone announce Pearl Harbor any more? Heck most kids don't even know the date that will "live in infamy".

I am not saying it is right or wrong, but people do move on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6077 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sure. But I don't consider it a relegation.
We have to move on, but we must never forget.
Not Pearl Harbor, not 9/11, not the Rape of Nanking (various spellings...sooo many spellings) not The Battle of Britain, not Hiroshima, not the Battle of Hastings.
All extremely important historical events.
History is never a relegation.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
“If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate.”
~ Sandy Dahl, wife of Flight 93 pilot Jason Dahl

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok when was The Alamo? When was The Maine attacked? The first World Trade Center bombing? You do know there was more than one bombing right? Just how much and for how long do I need to remember, and why?

What about the days WE attack others for no reason? Do you want THEM to remember? When they do we use words like "fanatic" to describe them. Hardly seems fair.

Why remember? To keep ourselves vigilant? To get even? To stay angry? To keep historical perspective and perhaps learn from it?

Again I'm not taking a position, just asking questions is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6077 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ok when was The Alamo? When was The Maine attacked? The first World Trade Center bombing? You do know there was more than one bombing right? Just how much and for how long do I need to remember, and why?

What about the days WE attack others for no reason? Do you want THEM to remember? When they do we use words like "fanatic" to describe them. Hardly seems fair.

Why remember? To keep ourselves vigilant? To get even? To stay angry? To keep historical perspective and perhaps learn from it?

Again I'm not taking a position, just asking questions is all.

I think we as a people need to remember forever- not the dates necessarily, just the event. And if we forget we can remind ourselves by reading about them.
I think history is an important subject.
Just my opinion.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, magicfish wrote:
I think we as a people need to remember forever- not the dates necessarily, just the event. And if we forget we can remind ourselves by reading about them.
Just my opinion.

I'm echoing Danny here. As a Middle-aged Midwest Millworker, why is remembering The Lusitania important?

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5689 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Why; because those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

You might as well ask, “Why visit the grave site of your parents? Move on, get over it.” “Why remember your children killed protecting their country?” “Why remember a fallen officer?”

If all you have is questions, you should probably reflect on your questions until you have your own answers.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not saying to forget. I am asking why remember.

Tom those are ALL very good reasons. BUT if revenge is a reason to remember then maybe it is not such a good thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6077 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
Just my opinion.

I'm echoing Danny here. As a Middle-aged Midwest Millworker, why is remembering The Lusitania important?

What caused it? Who was on board, how did she go down. We learn from the past.
In the Nuclear Industry we call it OPEX, or, Operating Experience. By studying past experiences, from a pinched finger to a dropped object, to 3 Mile Island, we help keep ourselves, and each other safe.
It's the same reason we study crash sites.
The Lusitania is extremely important.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Context matters...
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Context only matters to those who can affect change. Sometimes. Nobody had forgotten about Germany when WW2 started.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just my opinion.

In the Nuclear Industry we call it OPEX, or, Operating Experience. By studying past experiences, from a pinched finger to a dropped object, to 3 Mile Island, we help keep ourselves, and each other safe.

We don't revere crash sites. Those who can change things to make them better study them. Big difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6077 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just my opinion.

We don't revere crash sites. Those who can change things to make them better study them. Big difference.

I'm not following Danny. Of course we don't revere crash sites. Is someone here revering a historical event that I missed?
We can change things to make them better by studying them. You are correct.
Crash sites, battle formations, bridge foundations, etc. Or we can study them to figure out how to prevent them from happening again. Nuclear meltdowns, Commercial Airline hijackings, military coups, etc.
I get the feeling you don't like history?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I absolutely do like history.

I do not like remembering for revenge. Certainly you see the difference. I just am not explaining well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5689 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:

We don't revere crash sites.

Who is “we”. Ever see a roadside commemoration, usually a cross and flowers placed at a fatal crash site on its anniversary? The 9/11 memorial sites? (Admittedly a bit on the semantic side).

Different cultures have different ways to commemorate their passed relatives.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6077 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
I absolutely do like history.

I do not like remembering for revenge. Certainly you see the difference. I just am not explaining well.

Oh ok. I'm not sure where the revenge comes into play. I don't like the sound of remembering for revenge either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 9/11 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL