The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Three tricks every magician should know (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mndude
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of mndude
Topic says it all. What 3 tricks do you think every magician should know how to do?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8506 Posts

Profile of funsway
Generic:

how cause an observer to perceive an object to be in one place when it is actually in another.

how to have a vanish and production be perceives as a transportation or penetration.

how to create a false expectation of an anticipated event.

those are essential tricks upon which hundreds of effects can be built.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Is this the right question to be asking? I’m surprised a certain Road Scholar hasn’t chimed in.

I’m not sure there are three essential “tricks’” every magician must know. Should the question be more along the lines of “what are three essential skills, routines or effects” every magician must know?

When I ask this, I think of something like the cups and balls. A good C&B routine is made up of several different moves, effects and psychological elements, many of which form the basis for all kinds of other magic using other things. I think Houdini said something like you can’t call yourself a magician unless you can do a good C&B routine.

Assuming a C&B routine is one essential, what other routines/effects along this line could be considered essential?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3067 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Those who post here are biased towards store-bought tricks. Therefore it is proposed that everyone should know a good cups and balls routine, ignoring that the same principles may be covered by tricks that do not come from a magic shop and can't be bought anywhere.
Drylid
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Ambitious card, making something levitate, any mind reading trick. I am biased as I rely on sleight of hand more so than props or gimmicks though. Once a box or something comes out, most people know its nothing more than a puzzle they cant solve.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2844 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi David!
I had long forgotten about that thread! Thanks for the link.

I still think that Fitzkee's "19" are "correct". Many, if not most of those who commented, are no longer active, and, some of them, IMO, had "strange" ideas of what an effect is!

BTW! I still can't decide where to file the instructions for Joe Ovette's "Repeat Knots"!!!!! (The instructions are "temporarily" filed with miscellaneous "knot tricks"! Joe's trick has been used in almost every show that I've presented, since 1946. It's not a "miracle", and,I've never gotten a standing ovation with it (like Roy Mayer did!) but it ALWAYS gets great reaction from the spectators, whether little kids, high school adolescents, college young adults, or senior citizens.

Incidentally, I learned it when Roy Shrimplin showed it to me in '46. Many years later, I got the instructions when I was helping behind the counter at Abbott's. I found the instructions unclear, so I rewrote them in my book. (Very few magicians, know the technical terms "involved" in tying knots. E.g. a bight is not a loop.

Now, to address, the OP's post... I really think that it would be extremely difficult to say what three tricks should be known, to qualify oneself as a magician. Despite Houdini's comment that the cups and balls are the 'standard', many will agree that Harry was a great SHOWMAN, but, not technically a great MAGICIAN!!! I think that the OP's "thinking" is really quite subjective. Others may disagree.

My repertoire has evolved since my first shows in the mid '40s!! Only a very few tricks have "survived", since my early teens. Ovette"s "Repeat Knots, and the color change silk (learned from Senor MARDO in'47, are two.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, MGordonB wrote:
Is this the right question to be asking? I’m surprised a certain Road Scholar hasn’t chimed in.

I’m not sure there are three essential “tricks’” every magician must know. Should the question be more along the lines of “what are three essential skills, routines or effects” every magician must know?

When I ask this, I think of something like the cups and balls. A good C&B routine is made up of several different moves, effects and psychological elements, many of which form the basis for all kinds of other magic using other things. I think Houdini said something like you canI ’t call yourself a magician unless you can do a good C&B routine.

Assuming a C&B routine is one essential, what other routines/effects along this line could be considered essential?

I like your post! I think you said it VERY WELL! I had not intended to comment, but your post, "grabbed me"!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8506 Posts

Profile of funsway
I would add for the C&B recommendations, that Houdini never said that a magician must "perform" C&B, just that they should be proficient in it.
I always took this to mean that the study/practice of the moves, tricks, timing, misdirection, use of inference, etc. are invaluable to many other venues as well.
It is like practicing scales and sequences on a piano or warm-up exercises for a gymnast. A "must do" but never seen by the public.

The same could be said for the ability to do various C&R rope presentations. (with or without gimmicks). You may never plan on doing it in a show,
but the knowledge that you could do so impromptu is important to confidence, presence and audience engagement.

Everyone knows that "rings" are portals to magical energy or world where the impossible is common fair. So, mastery of a couple of routines with rings of various sizes makes sense, i.e. if you cannot do any impromptu, your claim to being a magician may fail to impress a crowd. Standard Linking Ring routines are not a requirement, but an understanding of why this ancient effect works and sustains might be.

I guess some proficiency with a handkerchief/silk. scarf might be important also, but that would be four.

bottom line is that a successful magician must KNOW that he/she can create the expectation of magic to occur, and then fulfill that promise anywhere - anytime.
BELIEVING that you can is not enough. Also, there is no requirement that you must perform just because you can or are asked.

One essential "trick" is to only perform when you have focused attention of ALL observers with an expectation of magic to occur.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
460 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Practice

Practice

Practice

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Thank you for your post, Mr. Oslund

Hey, that’s #200 for me Smile
mndude
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, MGordonB wrote:
Thank you for your post, Mr. Oslund

Hey, that’s #200 for me Smile

Now you need your picture!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have many pix in a file! My problem is, that I don't have the slightest idea of how to replace the "stock" art work!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Mark Williams wrote:
Practice

Practice

Practice

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams

I don't practice, When I was on the road doing 3, and sometimes 4 programs a day, it wasn't necessary. Now, I'm retired, and, I keep a couple of silks, and 3 pieces of rope near my lounge chair, so I can watch the news on TV and run through the nightmare, and the color change silk.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Mark Williams wrote:
Practice

Practice

Practice

ll
Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams

Well, PRACTICE AND, R E H E A R S A L ARE ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, >>BUT>>

I quote Leonardo Da Vinci: "Those who give themselves to ready practice before they have learned the theory, resemble sailors who go to sea in a ship without a rudder,"
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
354 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Dick Osland is very perceptive...

I'll chime in with this.

A good pick a card effect...Harry's Powerful Powers.

Perhaps a great Ace Assembly...Hitchcock Aces?

A great color separation trick...Out of this world...Universe...Harry's Color Gathering Plus (which I think is the best of the three).

Any good Kostya Kimlat trick. (Good luck).

K
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Three tricks every magician should know (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL