The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Binary cities countries 16 words (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
Effect: the magician has a spectator think of a city name or country name from a list of 16 words. Then the magician asks a few questions and reveals which city or country they are thinking of.

Note: on another thread I had developed the concept of using the vowels as a binary signal using ordinary words. Thomas Henry suggested the use of cities and countries instead of mundane words so here is my first attempt. Thanks Thomas.

Hodge podge chart that the spectator looks at:

FRANCE --- CHATTANOOGA TN
INDIA --- DALLAS TX
CEDAR POINT OH --- NORWAY
MEXICO --- ATLANTA GA
KNOXVILLE TN --- DENMARK
PERU --- PHOENIX AZ
TOLEDO OH --- GREECE
ENGLAND --- HOUSTON TX

Magician says "Think of a city or country name that you see on the chart and remember how to spell the first four letters but don't tell me".

Magician has a starting mental total of 0.

Magician says "Visualize the first letter of your word".

"Now visualize the second letter". Magician pauses then says: "it isn't a vowel (a e I o u) is it?"
If they say "yes" then add 2 to your mental total.
If they say no then you say "I didn't think it was" and add nothing to your mental total.

"Visualize the third letter".

"Now visualize the 4th letter", Magician pauses then says: "it isn't a vowel (a e I o u) is it?" You could ask if it is a consonent.
If they indicate that the fourth letter is a vowel then add 4 to your mental total.
If they say no then you say "I didn't think it was" and add nothing to your mental total.

Next the magician asks "is this an American city?" and if their answer is yes then add 1 to your mental total.
Using your grand mental total secretly look at that row number below (or have the below chart memorized):

Magician says: "I'm getting a word for"
then from the appropriate row below use the phrase in the parentheses:

0 ENGLAND --- FRANCE (a country involved with USA during the revolutionary war)

1 KNOXVILLE TN --- CHATTANOOGA TN (a city in Tennessee)

2 NORWAY --- DENMARK (a Scandinavian country)

3 HOUSTON TX --- DALLAS TX (a large city in Texas)

4 INDIA --- GREECE (a country that has a rich ancient civilization)

5 PHOENIX AZ --- ATLANTA GA (a city named after something mythological)

6 PERU --- MEXICO (a country that speaks Spanish)

7 CEDAR POINT OH --- TOLEDO OH (a city in northern Ohio)

At this point they may say 'you got it!"
if they don't then make an equivoque statement saying "it isn't xxxxxx is it?"
If they say no then the magician says "I thought it wasn't its yyyyyy!"
Of course instead of xxxxxx and yyyyyy you will use the appropriate two words (the 2 cities or 2 countries) from above.

At the end another way to determine which of the two words they're thinking of is to say "look at the third letter again and concentrate, does the letter have a curve in it?" If they answer "yes" then you know it's the first word of the two if they say "no" then it's the second word of the two. Note that the spectators hodge podge list of names must all be in capital letters so that the third letter will show a curve (or not) appropriately because lowercase "a" and "e" has a curve but the upper case "A" and "E" do not.
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
After you have determined the row if it is for England and France instead of mentioning the revolutionary war you could say:
"A country touching the English channel"
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
Originally the magician's chart was the only chart used therefore the spectator was picking from that chart but then I realized that later in the trick the two words could still be ingrained in their memory and they might be more likely to realize I was phishing at the very end.

By having a separate hodgepodge chart for the spectators then there is no connection in their mind between the two tied together final words.

The digits 1 thru 8 are used to identify the proper row and then the magician must do a final equivoque to determine which of the two words from the magician's chart they are thinking of.

Glowball Yelnif Larry Dale Finley mystron mysterian
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
Maybe replace England France with China so if total is 0 you know it's China without having to do a final equivoque. Also replace Cedar Point and Toledo with Columbus OH so if total is 7 you know it's Columbus without having to do the final equivoque.

Or maybe just remove England so you know it's France and remove Cedar Point so you know it's Toledo OH (a few people may erroneously think that Columbus is also a country in South America).

On the downside we have gone from 16 words down to 14 words but I think the benefits are worth it and that perhaps 30% of the time people will take France because it has a decorative image and is easy to spell. You can also say "we have about 15 words" (that is not that much different than 16 words).

Also make the list that the spectator sees one long column (as suggested by Takwah in another thread) instead of two short columns (the one long column makes the number of words look longer).

There are a number of spectators that will select the first word on a chart or the last word on a chart just to try to throw you off (or they are trying to be quick or lazy) therefore if we put France as the first word and Toledo as the last word then we may pick up some frequency of hits there. All this just to eliminate the final equivoque of "it isn't a city is it?" some of the time.

List that the spectator sees:

FRANCE
CHATTANOOGA TN
INDIA
DALLAS TX
MEXICO
ATLANTA GA
KNOXVILLE TN
DENMARK
PERU
PHOENIX AZ
GREECE
HOUSTON TX
NORWAY
TOLEDO OH

List that the magician secretly sees or has memorized:
0 FRANCE
1 KNOXVILLE TN --- CHATTANOOGA TN
2 NORWAY --- DENMARK
3 HOUSTON TX --- DALLAS TX
4 INDIA --- GREECE
5 PHOENIX AZ --- ATLANTA GA
6 PERU --- MEXICO
7 TOLEDO OH

Therefore if the total is 0 or 7 you don't do the final equivoque.
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of TomB
I would use continent to eliminate values
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Binary cities countries 16 words (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL