The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Surprise by Think Nguyen video DOWNLOAD (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
898 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
I'm live with Think to chat about The Surprise, click here to join us! https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSup......10406942
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
378 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
I feel like there is a lot of value in this effect if for no other reason than
to be exposed to some of Think's approach to magic.
It's the real deal and it's one of the essential frames of mind that differentiates
magicians from someone that does tricks.
He has a philosophy and then he proceeds to demonstrate it. For the price of buying
this guy a lunch you can learn to perform with the frame of mind of etching a memory
in your spectator for life.
"Challenge Your Reality"
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
898 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Couldn't join us live? Catch the replay now to get ALL the details about The Surprise

Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1128 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2019, JosephKerr wrote:
It's the real deal and it's one of the essential frames of mind that differentiates
He has a philosophy and then he proceeds to demonstrate it. For the price of buying
this guy a lunch you can learn to perform with the frame of mind of etching a memory

I agree. Wish I had said that. I liked his thoughts on the initial layout of the prediction, too.
AndrewI
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Quote:

I agree. Wish I had said that. I liked his thoughts on the initial layout of the prediction, too.

Fair enough, but then advertise it like that! The way it is being promoted, with a "it's too hard to explain so just watch this video and see!" implies that you're paying for the amazing, fooling effect that you see on the video. It does NOT imply that the video is just one possible outcome, and the absolute best one, and there are others which the creator admits are very weak.
I think it's the advertising, much more than the product, that people are justifiably annoyed by, which renders them less likely to feel warmly about the content.
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
204 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:

I completely, 100% get that. Indeed, that's why I said that I'm still intrigued by the idea, and WOULD HAVE PURCHASED IT if they had been honest and upfront in the ad copy and/or trailer - even if it meant admitting that the effect doesn't always work out so cleanly. If they had said that this is a best case scenario, but that Think provides such a useful philosophy, blah blah blah, I would have bought it in a second. But the fact that they felt they had to be misleading means I don't want to support that sort of advertising and makes this a lost sale.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2618 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I agree the "best scenario" version of the trick being shown is getting old. When a trick doesn't end the way it should and you start tap dancing, people know.
nico360
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of nico360
This is the trick that cannot be explained, right?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2996 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
The only thing that is "the surprise" here is that magic producers are still getting away with such blatant false advertising, lies and utter disdain for their customers.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3017 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2019, nico360 wrote:
This is the trick that cannot be explained, right?

It actually is when the CAAN does not pan out
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7383 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2019, Santie321 wrote:
Magic Café has saved me so much money I should send them a check.

Listen to me and you’ll save yourself a bloody fortune. Why oh why would anyone take the plunge on this type of effect, that looks too good to be true, and not be disappointed. Some people will never learn.

There’s a reason they called it the surprise.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1688 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Yes, follow the old saying, that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
765 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
If and when there really comes a method where a spectator can shuffle the entire deck themselves and then count to any number they thought of AND turn over the arrived card themselves... Let US KNOW. Thank You!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2996 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
My favourite part of the advertising is:

"If you're the type of magician that relies on self-working gimmicks as a crutch, this effect is definitely not for you."

Yeah, all those cowardly little magicians using a cr*ppy ID with its paltry little 100%-guaranteed-miracle-outcome. Throw away your embarrassing crutches you losers and perform this work of genius, instead!
docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
Thousand Oaks, California
464 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
The advertising is not completely misleading. The trailer does have a brief clue that the effect does rely on m.o's. It is brief and can fly by. I caught it on the second viewing. It is at 1:22 in the trailer. Which is why I took a pass -- not my cup of tea.

Phil
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I remember as a kid...waaaay before Al Gore invented the internet, ordering magic from a dealers catalog was hit or miss. I realized at 11 years old that the more fantastic the effect read in the advertisement, the more likely it would be a piece of $#@% when I opened up the package it was delivered in.

However, as I became more engaged with magic, I discovered that the premise the piece of $%$#@ effect utilized could be tweaked and possibly improved to lead to a better version of the effect, or a different effect altogether.

Those who order the Surprise will hopefully find SOMETHING within it's content which can be used in some way in other card effects...or better yet a stepping stone to create a cleaner ACCAN that works 100% of the time.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2571 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I know remember the days of the catalog Thank God for the Café !!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3236 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I think this release is actually pretty good. No, it's not necessarily going to be like the trailer every time, but it's 45 minutes of solid thinking on strategies for jazzing.

I'm going to review it more extensively on the next episode of my podcast. Should be out this evening (Monday night US time).
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2996 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I think this release is actually pretty good. No, it's not necessarily going to be like the trailer every time, but it's 45 minutes of solid thinking on strategies for jazzing.

I'm going to review it more extensively on the next episode of my podcast. Should be out this evening (Monday night US time).

And if it was advertised as a 45 minute exploration of jazz strategies people would have less of an issue with it.

But it isn't. It is advertised as:

"Using a borrowed and freely shuffled deck, this is the most impossible Card At Any Number we've ever seen. Describing it in ad copy just doesn't do it justice, so we're not even going to try. Seriously, go watch the trailer."

As a 'card at any number' it is extremely poor, in my opinion, featuring poorly taught ideas borrowed and half-digested from various sources. Certainly, anyone with a half-decent knowledge of Berglas' and Turner's work on ACAAN will find little here of use. I also found it rather poor as a lecture on jazzing with cards, but that is personal taste.

The blatant misrepresentation in the advertising remains a disgrace.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3236 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yeah, it's definitely not a CAAN, and you are correct that it being advertised as such is no good. It's more of a take on Dai Vernon's TTTCBE. It should have been sold as such.

Nonetheless, I learned a few things from it. Admittedly, I haven't read the Berglas Effects book (sadly is out of print).

I also think it's also perhaps worth pointing out that this is a $15 download.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Surprise by Think Nguyen video DOWNLOAD (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL