The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Introduction (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

OddFellow
View Profile
New user
USA
25 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
Hello! After being a magician, off and on, since I was a teenager in the 70's, I'm now retired from a long career and have time to pull out my old magic trunk and start playing again. I held a haunted seance a few years ago and used a lot of special effects and gimmicks that I built myself. I'm looking forward to getting back into it...it keeps the mind young...pulling out some of my old classics, learning new techniques, and developing some technologically advanced tricks using electro-magnets, arduino, and other electronic gadgets (former engineer)...and building some of the old classics (I now have a complete woodshop and an endless supply of Oak and other woods). I'm hoping the Magic Café will be a good source of ideas and information! Looking forward to the next chapter in life! Cheers. Scott
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of TomB
Hi Oddfellow, welcome to the Magic Café forum. I think engineers make the best magicians, but I am biased because I am one too. I am interested in your arduino/wearable electronics ideas.
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
USA
25 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
Tom - Thanks for the note. I'm working on some effects using electromagnets and some other items. I'm trying to recreate Margery Crandon's Spirit Bell Box that Houdini debunked (Houdini has been a personal favorite since I was a kid), but running in to dead ends concerning any info about it other than what Houdini had in some of his notes. I understand it is now in a collection in London and I'm trying to track it down.

I'm putting together a haunted seance in an old Victorian home for 2020, so I have a year to practice, regain old skills, and engineer effects. I'll keep you posted. The last time I did this about 10-15 years ago it scared the crap out of folks. Back then I used X-10 remotes and relays. I'm going to try to update now using Arduino and other things that are available. I really enjoy Tim Wisseman's effects and his use of magnets, muscle wire, etc.

Scott
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of TomB
That sounds fun. If you can rip apart walls, I would make sure I could turn on electromagnetic fields for any ghost hunters. I would put some speakers in the vents too with some pre recorded tracks. If you build the room where a ball rolls upwards that would be cool. I saw that at Ripley's. Definitely want to have pressure in the room for some slammed doors. If you have access to the basement you can have something knock on the floor boards and make it appear someone is stomping across the floor.

When I was in college I was in a frat house, which was an old mob house. They had the light switch to the room on the wall where the door opened. If you have something where the lights go out, that can be rather sneaky.

Sounds fun. I am a little jealous.
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
USA
25 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
Tom -

I have free run of the home...it's our Odd Fellows Lodge and was built in 1870...I'm going to have fun with this one! We are going to use the event for a fundraiser.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome OddFellow,

And welcome back to Magic.

I wish I had tech skills.

-Mary Mowder
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
USA
25 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
Mary -

Thank you!!! Well, if you don't have tech skills...feel free to ask! I'd be glad to help, and I'm sure there are tons of talented people on this forum who would be glad to help too. I'm having fun combining engineering and magic. My total nerd is coming out again! It's been a long time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Introduction (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL