The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Himber quiver (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18109 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Https://www.ellusionist.com/himber-by-quiver.html

So another variant, I like the style of this - I know it would suit me. Less deceptive visually than their business card wallet I reckon. This one is playing card size.

I've taken a punt..
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2374 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
That looks very nice! Thanks for taking the punt, I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you have received it.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Why is this better than a black double sided envelope? Needlessly elaborate in my opinion.
AndrewI
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2019, Calvin826 wrote:
Why is this better than a black double sided envelope? Needlessly elaborate in my opinion.

The general reason I'd choose a wallet over an envelope is that it's a normal thing to have on your person already, so in that case it needs to have some normal stuff in it. For a Himber-style wallet you'd have the same random stuff in both sides and there would be no reason to suspect anything funny was going on. I guess you would put a few business or credit cards in this one and suddenly you have a (non magical) reason for having it on you.
I don't know anybody who just happens to have black envelopes on them for no good reason.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
Quote:

The general reason I'd choose a wallet over an envelope is that it's a normal thing to have on your person already, so in that case it needs to have some normal stuff in it. For a Himber-style wallet you'd have the same random stuff in both sides and there would be no reason to suspect anything funny was going on. I guess you would put a few business or credit cards in this one and suddenly you have a (non magical) reason for having it on you.
I don't know anybody who just happens to have black envelopes on them for no good reason.

I agree with your last point. I guess what I'm trying to say is, what's more unusual, a paper envelope or a leather envelope? It doesn't look like any wallet I've ever seen.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Huh, pretty cool. I need one.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18109 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Google - leather envelope
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I agree that does look like a leather envelope, and does lose something that a replication of objects provides.
I would call it a card case when presenting it.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
If a (Blake Vogt)4 way envelope was put in each side you would have an 8 Way out set up.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2019, Glenn Watson wrote:
If a (Blake Vogt)4 way envelope was put in each side you would have an 8 Way out set up.

Doesn’t look like it would fit Blake's envelope.
But I do like the looks of it.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2571 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I LIKEY ! Very Nice
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2019, IAIN wrote:

Wasn't suggesting that leather envelopes didn't exist. I was replying to someone's comment about how unusual it it seems to carry around black(paper)envelope. Perhaps, but to me it's even weirder(and more expensive) to carry around a leather envelope with a single card in it.

To me, a switching device should be as inconspicuous as possible. Somebody suggested putting other items in to make it look like a every day wallet- that's fine, but who uses a leather envelope as a wallet? Is that a new hipster trend I'm not aware of?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18109 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2019, IAIN wrote:

Wasn't suggesting that leather envelopes didn't exist. I was replying to someone's comment about how unusual it it seems to carry around black(paper)envelope. Perhaps, but to me it's even weirder(and more expensive) to carry around a leather envelope with a single card in it.

To me, a switching device should be as inconspicuous as possible. Somebody suggested putting other items in to make it look like a every day wallet- that's fine, but who uses a leather envelope as a wallet? Is that a new hipster trend I'm not aware of?

was just making the point that these items are out there and are used by people (otherwise, as markets dictate, they aren't worth making because they never sell)... and of course, you have to pick something that feels natural and ok for you, how you dress and all the other stuff... just like I know people who still use those huge long wallets that the early himber ones resembled, the cheque book kinda sized ones... but I would never carry one... same thing as black envelopes - if it offends or makes someone uneasy to carry them, then don't!

I tend to use nice somewhat fancy Japanese mechanical pencils, and not Sharpies all that often (as an example)... the only comments I get are - "I remember these", 'not seen these before" and they can google it, and 'isn't that a lovely pencil...I want one...'... those three things, they are welcome to say and google...

for me, its the same with this, if they googled 'leather envelope', or 'small black envelope', they'd be available in Google-land, and people tend to believe what they see on the first page of their results...

and with all that said, that's my personal view - I'm not trying to convince anyone reading to feel the same...I'm just talking...

I liked the Quiver brand's business card case too - that's a himber as well...same price...
Bad jelly
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Bad jelly
Love the product but could not watch the trailer for the details ... or hear for that matter !! what's with damm music? geez ..
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
339 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Is this more of a Z Fold than a Himber ?
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1074 Posts

Profile of taller8
Nothing new here.
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
It's an attractive option, but it's still a double-sided leather envelope.

I've been carrying wallets all my life and never encountered anything like this. Just because you can "Google" an example, doesn't mean the average person has ever seen one.

I like the idea of calling it a card case. Or not not calling it anything - but if you call it a wallet you will undoubtedly draw undue attention to what does not look like a wallet. IMO.

But I still like it. I think it looks good and I can see the utility in this device.

Oscar
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1206 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2019, Scott Horn wrote:
Is this more of a Z Fold than a Himber ?

That appears to be the case, Scott. Two quite different things entirely. It bugs me that they are naming it "Himber" when it isn't one... And from the demo and pics, I don't think it is even a z-fold--it looks to be simply a double envelope made of leather, as Oscar points out. Like any double envelope, the flaps add to a z-formation, but that is still very different from a z-fold wallet.

I feel that the flap actually makes this less deceptive than a real Himber OR a z-fold (the demo was pretty unconvincing) but I don't want to analyze the workings further on an open forum.

Nice looking item, for sure; I just feel the name is an unfortunate misrepresentation.

Seth

p.s. I will definitely pick up their more honestly-named "Z-Wallet" which looks more deceptive due to the proper z-fold style...
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1617 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
The Quiver Modern Z-Fold is excellent -- looks like a standard business card case, one side locks, no bad angles:

https://glitchstudiohk.com/products/mode......y-quiver

Apparently, they'll be coming out with a slightly larger, black model that will accommodate playing cards.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
524 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2019, jerdunn wrote:
Apparently, they'll be coming out with a slightly larger, black model that will accommodate playing cards.

that's exactly what I'm waiting for
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Himber quiver (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL