The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Himber quiver (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thinking out aloud here, but it occurs to me this new Quiver product could be ideal for The White Dwarf.

Neil
LewisLeVal
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Nobody cares what your wallet looks like, minimal wallets/card holders are everywhere now in huge variety. If you don't want spectators to become suspicious of your items, then don't behave any differently from a normal human being. Magicians and Mentalists have a tendency to explain every item they pull out of their pockets, but if you just take the wallet/card holder out of your pocket without announcing it and treat it as though you would your normal wallet, nobody will think differently. Suspicion only comes when we deviate from the expected dynamics of social interaction. Unlike a hotrod or a sponge ball, wallets are immediately recognisable as wallets, regardless of design.

You are not your props, your magic is not your props, the brushes don't paint the masterpiece. They are simply an extension of the artist's expression. You know what this product does, so just ask yourself, is it aesthetically pleasing to you? Would you choose it in the same way you choose your clothing and jewellery? If the answer is no, then that simply means it's just not your style, it doesn't mean it will be alien to the rest of the population.

Would I use this wallet? I have no current need for a himber wallet, but if I ever do, I'm glad this exists. After all, it's not that different from my normal, everyday wallet.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2019, LewisLeVal wrote:
Nobody cares what your wallet looks like, minimal wallets/card holders are everywhere now in huge variety. If you don't want spectators to become suspicious of your items, then don't behave any differently from a normal human being. Magicians and Mentalists have a tendency to explain every item they pull out of their pockets, but if you just take the wallet/card holder out of your pocket without announcing it and treat it as though you would your normal wallet, nobody will think differently. Suspicion only comes when we deviate from the expected dynamics of social interaction. Unlike a hotrod or a sponge ball, wallets are immediately recognisable as wallets, regardless of design.

You are not your props, your magic is not your props, the brushes don't paint the masterpiece. They are simply an extension of the artist's expression. You know what this product does, so just ask yourself, is it aesthetically pleasing to you? Would you choose it in the same way you choose your clothing and jewellery? If the answer is no, then that simply means it's just not your style, it doesn't mean it will be alien to the rest of the population.

Would I use this wallet? I have no current need for a himber wallet, but if I ever do, I'm glad this exists. After all, it's not that different from my normal, everyday wallet.

Very nicely said.
LewisLeVal
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Thank you Wravyn Smile
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
@LewisLeVal - So, you're everyday wallet looks like an envelope?

My only critique has been in calling this a wallet.

Maybe a "change purse."

And I'm not necessarily talking about calling it "anything" out loud - in a talking voice... but in a label to reference it.

Still looks like a double-sided envelope to me. But again, there's a place for this in the right routine. Just don't try to tell me this looks like a gentleman's wallet.

Oscar
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7387 Posts

Profile of pegasus
This absolutely screams magic prop. Lol.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18111 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Only to "magicians".
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2195 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Just recently I saw the creator of "Books of Adam" comics post what he carries day to day. The wallet he uses is just a colorful zippered pouch, not so different to this wallet. For a long time my best friend used a small Ziplock baggie as his wallet because he had a strange tendency to end up in ponds and streams. There's a lot of different types of wallets out there.

If you don't make a thing of it, no one else will either (Except maybe other magicians).

Oh, and - https://boysfort.com/woolly-pouch-wallet/ -
https://fullgraincreations.com/products/the-snap-pouch
https://www.amazon.com/Saddleback-Leathe......76THZK3P

5 seconds on Google.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18111 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've used things like for ages, carry a tablet or sketchpad, business cards, all kinds of things...
https://www.amazon.com/Otto-Angelino-Mul......7VN43G9C

Other people's opinions don't matter.if it doesn't work for 'you' then don't use it. If you dress a certain way and it doesn't match, then don't.

But insisting it's only one thing, then this thread proves its never one thing.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2289 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Sorry but this is basically Ton Onosakas coin switching wallet made wide.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
AndrewI
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2019, Doomo wrote:
Sorry but this is basically Ton Onosakas coin switching wallet made wide.

That may be true. It's also every two-way switching envelope made leather.
I don't think they're claiming any originality of the concept. It's just a nice execution.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7387 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Only to "magicians".

And to those that know you’re a magician. Let’s just say you wouldn’t use this ‘prop’ for family and friends without raising a high amount of suspicion
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18111 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sure, but I guess magic for friends and family is a different kettle of fish

.and most releases aren't aimed at that audience...
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
@WitchDocChris 5 Seconds on Google yielded three wallets, nobody carries.

Just my opinion.

Oscar
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2195 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Three wallets that are shaped like envelopes that are specifically called "wallets", which are all being sold - which means people are buying them.

Quote:
Social projection is the tendency to expect similarities between oneself and others.

Regardless - what's it matter if the product is called a wallet? It does what it says it will do, how it's presented it up to the performer.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Quote:
Regardless - what's it matter if the product is called a wallet? It does what it says it will do, how it's presented it up to the performer.

Agreed.

O
LewisLeVal
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
@Oscar999 it sure does, see attached image. I got it specifically because it looks like an envelope.

I also have this theory that if you were to journal the most important things in your life, you'd probably want it in a nice notebook with quality pen, rather than on scraps with a Bic. If you were to present your life's work, your passions, your art, you'd probably want its importance to be visible, or at least reflected in the standard of the items you use in such presentation. There's nothing wrong with carrying an envelope made of leather if what you do with it results in profound experiences.

The definition of wallet is; a pocket-sized flat folding case for holding money and plastic cards. Easily this item could be used as a business card holder too.

Maybe I need to hang out with more magicians to see what's going on. There seems to be a lot of concern regarding things I've never been questioned about or called out on during performances.
LewisLeVal
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Image upload didn't work but I'd be happy to PM you.
Bad jelly
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Bad jelly
[quote]On Sep 25, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:

my best friend used a small Ziplock baggie as his wallet because he had a strange tendency to end up in ponds and streams.

As interesting and informative as this discussion is, the 'Ponds & Streams' needs to be expanded upon. I thought that was hilarious ... perhaps we could all learn something.

Smile Smile

Cheers all..
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of NeilS
If it works and does not look overly suspicious, then that is good enough for me. Same with this shortly to be released 4 way envelope. Not something you would ordinarily see but again reasonably acceptable and, for us, good reason to use.

Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Himber quiver (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL