The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Favorite color-changing knife routine? (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
It was Michael Skinner's routine, the first half, then I use Johnny Thompson's ending. Skinner's ending is unsatisfying. Afterwards the spectator looked at me deadpan and said something like funny how the blade jumped to the other side. The blades on Mogar knives really stand out. You can hardly see them on Merrill knives.

Some people are really observant of small details. They can surprise us. I performed the routine really close with the individual standing about a foot away. At a bar or restaurant table the distances are greater so the blade discrepancy shouldn't be noticed. A strolling magician might want to stand back just a little and do the paddle move with a bit more hug around the knife.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I wonder if there is something about the way the move is done that lets them notice the turnover. I have never had that problem, and I have done this routine for many years. I suspect it may have to do with the way the moves are done, for example, the knife is "shown" on both sides to the spectator. That should not happen. The move should be done for yourself, as if you are checking to see the back of the knife. If it looks like a move, or you are "proving" with the move, the audience will be on alert. If the knives are handled casually, and the performer uses the Friedman Flip and other convincers, the audience should not be so focused. It is important to have a routine that controls the audience's thinking, and answers their objections before they are voiced. Most color-changing routines have too much proving, and not enough leading. You want to use both hands working separately with two knives as much as possible, to split focus.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Pop, your comments and advice on this topic have been great and very helpful to me in improving this routine..
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
BTW, I have used the Mogar Knives for many years and never, ever had the problem of people noticing the knife blade move. The new Boker knives from Rodger Lovins have much less noticeable blades, but it really shouldn't be important. If you ask for agreement in any way, by turning the knife over to show the back of the knife to the spectator, he will want to take the knife and look at it. This is what provokes that response. When you "show" both sides to the audience, it is asking for agreement--"See it is white on both sides." You do that, and the audience is provoked into "checking" and their gaze will sharpen. If you casually check for yourself, and not show towards the audience, they can see "over your shoulder" and check for themselves. Since you are not seeking "agreement" they will not feel they are being tricked.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I think it's also important to note that almost any magic trick or sleight has a weak spot -- bad angles, illogical moves, phony or suspicious-looking props, and so forth.

It's our job to either strengthen or cover up that weak spot, through routining, misdirection or technical work, so that's it's less noticeable or almost invisible. And having good control over the audience helps, too. There is also a fine line between convincing the specs that something is "normal" by your handling or your words, and either handing everything out for examination (never a good idea) or being challenged to do so. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
The reason I ask is Professional; I'm now making CC knife sets and want a good beginner and advanced routine to include. (With permission, of course!)
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, Comedy Writer wrote:
The reason I ask is Professional; I'm now making CC knife sets and want a good beginner and advanced routine to include. (With permission, of course!)

Aldo Colombini's routine is one of the best beginner ones because it simplifies bringing knives in and out of play. https://www.lybrary.com/color-changing-k......235.html

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2019, BradenCarlisle wrote:
Pop Haydn has a fantastic color changing knives routine. It's on his website in the form of notes, and also in his Penguin Live lecture.

I wouldn't say it was taught, Pop performs the routine and then briskly goes over a couple of the moves used in the routine. I purchased the lecture for the routine and was disappointed that it was taught properly.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
My "go to" routine is Matt Schulien's, which Frank Garcia described in The Close-up Magic of Frank Garcia Part I (1982) Starts with one knife, transpositions with two knives, byplay and audience participation with three knives. Show four knives, which then become six knives, the last one of which is a barber pole knife for the kicker ending.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I like Tamariz routines with 3 knives, very entertaining and Rubiales has a routine La Blanca inquieta that it is also a very entertaining routine
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
I know it's not a knife routine but it's the same premise. I love Chad Long's "Flash"
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2811
This is one of my favorite tricks to preform. My audiences love it to.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2020, FrankFindley wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, Comedy Writer wrote:

Aldo Colombini's routine is one of the best beginner ones because it simplifies bringing knives in and out of play. https://www.lybrary.com/color-changing-k......235.html

I would agree this is a nice, simple routine. I like it a lot.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2024, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2019, BradenCarlisle wrote:
Pop Haydn has a fantastic color changing knives routine. It's on his website in the form of notes, and also in his Penguin Live lecture.

I wouldn't say it was taught, Pop performs the routine and then briskly goes over a couple of the moves used in the routine. I purchased the lecture for the routine and was disappointed that it was taught properly.

He does have an entire dvd on his color changing knife routine.
https://www.popsmagic.com/store/p39/Pop_......DEO.html

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-......tion-20/
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Favorite color-changing knife routine? (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL