The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shade the movie is out on DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
Thanks NeoMagic. I thought it might have been something more complicated than that.
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Ixnay here is your answer,

An Excerpt from an interview with the Director/Writer and Film Critic Fred Toppel.
Quote:
Why couldn’t you get a major theatrical distribution for a movie with this cast?

Well, RKO is the one who’s been responsible for handling it and RKO’s gone through some different machinations here and there to get where they are. So I haven’t been involved in the business aspect to a huge percent, so I don't know what deals are made. We made a deal with Blockbuster which they’re doing a huge DVD release on it, but I think that probably influenced with some of the video domestic release and stuff. I know there are a lot of big companies that wanted to do it, MGM/UA, Sony Screen Gems, etc. I just made the film. I didn’t make the deal on it, but obviously I would hope that it gets a wider release. It’s supposed to be going wider later on in a month or so, we’ll see.

But you’re on DVD on May 25.

I know. That’s part of the problem. Well, not problem, but Blockbuster’s the one who really stood up and did a lot of the work on this film.

Jason
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Many "smaller" movies get hardly, if any, screen distribution and go to video. It's all about how much money can be made versus cost. It would cost a hell of a lot to cut thousands of prints and ship them all over the country. I can't say how well it would do at the box office. It would probably do decently because of the cast and most people's attraction to gambling, but there's also the chance that it wouldn't make a dime. Those in charge go for maximum profit with least amount of expenditure in most cases.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Here is one review of Shade. They gave it 2 stars out of 5.
Shade" is a film about cards and the shady hustlers who play it. Set in the shifty bars of Los Angeles, the film is a sincere homage to the world of underground poker where loyalties change furiously, and lucks immediately. It is an entertaining but ultimately flawed comedy/crime drama about a group of small-time conmen (and one woman) out to make it big the easy way. The film is quick to introduce us to team leader, Miller (Gabriel Byrne); team bait, Tiffany (Thandie Newton); and Vernon (Stuart Townsend), a suave card mechanic who has a lot to prove. When they recruit the fast-talking Larry (Jamie Foxx) to pull off a potentially rewarding job, things go a little awry and no sooner they have the city's biggest mobsters on their backs. To score the cash they now owe them (and in the grand tradition of a final showdown between two giants), Vernon decides to go head- to-head with the paramount force in poker known as "The Dean" (Sylvester Stallone). But, of course, before we get the fickle conclusion, there are several twists, flashbacks and funny talk.

"Shade" is writer/director Damian Nieman's debut feature. Although the dialogues and pacing of the story are contemptible, I must credit Nieman for assembling a wonderful troupe of actors. Gabriel Byrne is very effective as the slippery Miller - a man who will do anything imaginable in order to get ahead of the line. It is indeed surprising that we do not dislike his character despite his obvious callousness; this continues to prove that Byrne is very versatile actor. The appearance of Sylvester Stallone as a legend on the verge of retirement is another casting token because Stallone carries his role quite effortlessly. Then there is Jamie Foxx who gives the pacing a refreshing shot of energy with his hilarious portrayal of Larry, a young hustler who really doesn't know how deep the sting team river goes. These three characters prove to be the best thing about "Shade" and provide the strongest case to see the film. However, and in contrast, I was quite disappointed with Thandie Newton and Stuart Townsend's characters. Newton's femme-fatale felt too manufactured and Townsend's Vernon seemed too smug for his good. And when the subplot of an old romance between them is introduced we couldn't care less. The pie tends to stick to the sleeves with another unnecessary romantic insertion; this time between Stallone's Dean and Melanie Griffith's Eve. Although, Griffith looks stunning even after all these years, but she acts rather badly here. Could it possibly be a case of "actor ring rust"?
"Shade" was screened at the 2003 CineVegas Film Festival. It drew more detractors than admirers because the film chooses to bewilder the audience in its eagerness to surprise them with far-fetched plot twists and a preposterous conclusion. In a story about lies and liars, perhaps it is only fitting for us to feel cheated by the fallacious events that unfold before our eyes. I doubt if even the mileage Stallone, Byrne and Foxx bring to the screen would change anyone's mind about the film's credibility as a result. This is definitely one game where "Shade" is better served folding. - Adnan Khan, UAEFilms.com
http://movies.theemiratesnetwork.com/reviews.php?id=1045
I'll post my own review as soon as the DVD arrives from Nexflix.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
This is somewhat hard to find at major stores. Anyone have a link to a cheap source?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
threeflyer
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of threeflyer
I got a copy at Best Buy for $19.99. By the way, if you want a good laugh watch the credits. About half way thourgh, they show the grips (some technical term for some position on the movie), but anyway to be funny they decided to add Erdnase Grip and Jason England's name out to the side and Mechanic's Grip with Paul Wilson's name out to the side. Don't ask why I noticed, as I don't make it a habit to watch movie credits. It just happen to be scrolling by when I looked up. There might me more hidden stuff like this, I didn't look.

Jason
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
I just watched this and I thought it was pretty good. Anyone know if that change where the five cards turn into a royal flush at the beginning credits is published anywhere?
Thanks,
Paul
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
It's a gaff that has been in existence for a couple decades, and leaves you dirtier than a pig in mud.
Who is John Galt?
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
Do you know where I can purchase it?
Thanks,
Paul
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I liked how Paul Wilson was in there at the larger game somewhat early on in the movie. As for finding the movie at major stores, it's not in the new release section, even though it just came out. It's in the action section at both Best Buy and Circuit City by me. Overall I really enjoyed the movie, mostly for the card handling and references to the magic world. No, the acting and writing aren't going to win any awards, but I don't think we expect "The Sting" here. Overall an enjoyable film, especially for magicians. Can't wait to find the time to check out the special features.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Just finished watching SHADE for the third time and absolutely loved it! Not so much because of the theatrics of the movie, it's no Oscar. However, just the fact that this was a movie that had to do with cards/crooked gambling and the fact that the actors (an impressive line up; Stalone, Foxx, Holbrook,etc.) were named after past magic masters was just too cool!

I also loved the fact that the movie was shot in the Castle. I thought that Stuart's skills with the cards was quite impressive especially because he had no prior experience with cards and practiced pretty hard. I thought the music was great too. Overall, SHADE gets my vote!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Staggerlee
View Profile
New user
Chicago
61 Posts

Profile of Staggerlee
Dug it.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Be sure to watch for my painting: "Dai Vernon's Cups and Balls". It hangs just above the bust of Vernon in the Castle. You barely get a glimpse of it in the movie, but it is shown clearly in the special features. I am proud of it because Dai Vernon told me it was his favorite painting. Because Dai was so fond of it, I have let the Castle have it on "permanent loan" for almost 30 years.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
The directing was very poor, the story was told in a very confusing way. I just liked it because of the magic refrences.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I just ordered this from Best Buy. If it stinks...oh well...it will be great for my movie collection as it is somewhat rare (comparitively speaking).

I have found that some people really enjoy this film and then some people really hate it. I will see when I watch it this evening.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
For those who don't know, here are two great sources for cheap dvds(including hard to find):

http://www.dvdpricesearch.com
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
Every once in a while I come across a movie at the local video store that I have never heard about, but decide to give it a chance any way.

sometimes there good, and sometimes there bad.

but this time I do have to say that shade was one of the best uderated flix that I have seen in over a year.

I hate to follow trends, and jump onto band wagons but this here movie shade reawakend a love for sleight of hand in me, that I thought had all but dwindled away.

I'm back now and boy let me tell you I'm jumpin back into it with both feet.

not only did I neglect to return the movie to the rental place, but I have spent quite a bit of time and money at the magic shop in my area.

-support the movie, buy a hundred copies, and maybe just maybe they'll come out with another movie with a similar theme.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
That movie is great, I watched it tonight. Love seeing some of the top magicians making it on the big screen. Going to buy the movie for sure.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
It was interesting seeing the mucking and 2nd and bottom deals but I can see why it went straight to video.
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
The trick witht the five cards may end dirty you can handle the cards individually and it's not any worst than nfw
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shade the movie is out on DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL