We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Whats Your Purpose For Doing Magic? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Fun

And when I retire and don't have to work for a living I'm going to be busking.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Texture Surprise
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Texture Surprise
Because is fun (=
TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of TomB
I like learning the secrets of the universe. Be it how electrons flow in a wire and illuminates a light bulb, or a magician vanishing bird cage.

To invent the impossible, first you need to imagine it, then innovate it. I love the imagination. I love the challenge to innovate. I love understanding other peoples innovation (the secrets). I believe anything is possible with enough time and money (ie going to the moon). I like creating the patter.

I love being fooled. I love asking myself, how did that just happen? I love fooling others. I love making them wonder if what they just saw was real. Yes, the reaction of friends or strangers is the grandest prize.

I like showing my kids magic. I like teaching them magic. I love the bonding of sharing secrets that no one else knows (not even mom).

I also enjoy watching good entertainment. Who does not want the court jester that is there to make you smile.

I like filtering thru 1000s of tricks to create a themed show for kids. I love hearing their ideas of what they want to accomplish, then making it happen. After months of creating a show with my kids, watching my kids perform it. Instead of my kids scoring a touchdown, or a last minute 3 pointer, they made the impossible happen. Finally, I love watching my kids perform a show for their friends and parents. I love watching them succeed and the enjoyment/reaction from everyone in the audience. (What can be better then when you hear an adult utter under their breath that's impossible! Or the kids get excited to see next trick)
Gennovense
View Profile
New user
Santiago
63 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
Well I would say I fit in the description of this. I'm 22 years old and I've been doing magic for barely a year. I always loved magic, Harry Potter, Criss Angel TV show, The Masked Magician, etc. I never had the chance to learn magic merely because I was doing a lot of things in school. I love magic because like Roberto Giobbi says is the Art of Wonder, bringing that to people makes me extremely happy, watching them enjoying, so I'd say that is my purpose. I only perform for friends or in the street. I will also say magic is a GREAT way yo build self confidence, which is key in life. I do magic as a hobby since I'm in college so my parents wouldn't like me to quit right now when I'm about to become a lawyer, also in my country is pretty difficult to live as an artist so being a magician here would be a hard one.

Even said, I'm looking forward for part time jobs, maybe weddings or bars, but is difficult in my country there are not too many magicians so we don't have a culture like in USA, Spain, Argentina or France

I also enjoy magic for myself, I really like when I see that with just a year of practicing I can perform very difficult sleights with cards and coins, that I already memorized the mnemonica stack, mainly because I have a great professor who teaches me a lot of great stuff.

I love magic! It brings me joy and happiness, is the funniest and coolest thing on earth!
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
New user
Lake O The Pines Texas
63 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
I am 83 years old and of course retired. Have loved magic since I was a child. Worked professionally many years ago. I was very ill last summer and near death but somehow survived. During recovery I could not do anything and barley could walk, this left me very depressed and feeling worthless as I have always been very active. One day I thought about my magic and said to myself this is one thing I can do. So I unpacked all the stuff and started practicing again and it was like I was young again, now I am doing well health wise and having so much fun. Did a parlor routine last week and everyone loved it. Yep magic brought me back, now I have regained my confidence and it is all fun fun from here. To all the folks just starting don't give up, practice and practice some more. YOU CAN DO IT!
I don't understand all I know about this
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It beats a fidget spinner.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1911 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Gerald, Thanks for sharing your touching story. I hope you get many more years of enjoying magic and life generally.

Bob
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Whats Your Purpose For Doing Magic?

Ya know...I really don't know. I have VERY few friends and they have seen it all. No one I know locally is interested. One lady told me to "quit showing off!" My eyes were opened...

Smile

Doug
Russo
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Russo
Sounds like you may give up magic--don't if YOU enjoy it. > As a teenager ( now 82+) I didn't have many friends- then I learned to get out of myself and became interested in others - ask others about themselves -most people like to talk about themselves - that way 'YOU' wont be showing off - then share your interest in them - in magic - etc.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9963 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Whats Your Purpose For Doing Magic?

No one I know locally is interested. One lady told me to "quit showing off!" My eyes were opened...

Smile

Doug

I think you've hit on something many magicians don't want to hear or accept or perhaps may be ignorant to - many people could care less about magic and magicians and often find it irritating or self-fulfilling (hey, look at me and what I know or can do!)

I remind our magicians of this all the time - most people do not want to see a magic trick! Most magicians always seem to think others find it just as interesting as magicians themselves do - they don't.

This is also part of the reason for the perception and stereotype against magicians.

You must remember why many found magic in the first place, they were lonely, outcast, or perhaps worse. Magic gave them a purpose, something they could enjoy alone without the acceptance or approval of others. This is fine while you are doing it for yourself, but once you start involving or including others the dynamic changes completely. This is exactly why magicians performing for magicians, local magic clubs of magicians performing and discussing with other likeminded members are all so popular. This is also why there is a whole area within magic of conventions and events where magicians can perform for other magicians. It is much more of a club and fraternity of other similar and likeminded people than the rest of the pubic. Most fail to get this and this is where the dissension begins.

Plus many seem to miss the concept of learning magic at home for yourself is much different than learning magic to perform publicly or others. They can appear to be the same thing at a surface glance but are about as much different as a riding the $.25 horsey outside of K-mart compared to riding and performing a wild ride in a professional rodeo.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, Russo wrote:
As a teenager...I didn't have many friends- then I learned to get out of myself and became interested in others -

Ha haaa! You don't know me. That's OK. I'm 64 and been around the block once or twice. I think it's me. Dick Oslund's passing has affected me more than I want to admit. Plus this little city. In fact there is no Magic Shop (or club) in this state (That I know of). Maine is a beautiful state. But we are up far and away from everything else. Plus another thing. Politics. Everyone seems angry. One side or the other. I just want them to relax. Enjoy some Magic! Not an easy task today...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, Mindpro wrote:

I remind our magicians of this all the time - most people do not want to see a magic trick! Most magicians always seem to think others find it just as interesting as magicians themselves do - they don't.

I wish this was clear and understood by more magicians...

Quote:
This is also part of the reason for the perception and stereotype against magicians.

I could not have said it better...

Doug
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
New user
Lake O The Pines Texas
63 Posts

Very interesting post. I can see where this art form is perceived in a different way even among those that practice it. Naturally some are in it strictly for money and others are in it for as some one put it just to show off or look at me see what I can do. Then there are those that look down their nose at people because they have made success and have a better than thou attitude. And of course those that don't give a flip what anyone thinks, that's where some of us old guys are at, I have learned over the years that you can't force magic on anyone and expect them to enjoy it. The public will choose what they enjoy in music, food, clothing and entertainment and not everyone will like the same thing, so magic is loved by some and hated by others. All in all I think that if you are going to do it do as well as you can and be supportive of those that want to enter into this special corner of the world. Think about this all you guys are special and perceive things differently than other folks so handle yourselves with integrity be gentleman and gentle ladies and all will fall in place if you are willing to work for it. Just ramblings from an old guy----- good luck to all.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2019, Gerald Blankenship wrote:
...I have learned over the years that you can't force magic on anyone and expect them to enjoy it. The public will choose what they enjoy...so magic is loved by some and hated by others.

This is where discernment comes in really handy...LOL!
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
New user
Lake O The Pines Texas
63 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 26, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2019, Gerald Blankenship wrote:
...I have learned over the years that you can't force magic on anyone and expect them to enjoy it. The public will choose what they enjoy...so magic is loved by some and hated by others.

This is where discernment comes in really handy...LOL!

LOL You are very right there Dougini. You could sit several people down to a fine steak dinner, and someone would complain you didn't serve possum. Discernment is as different as the the colors of a rainbow. Good Luck to you!
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
I perform because there is no better feeling than looking into the audience and seeing the smiles that I create. Or, at least, my performance creates
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1113 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Could be for self-gratification ... fun.
As a hobby, to amuse others, or financial gain.

I think, in essense, it is intrigue that builds self-confidence and promotes the art.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, Josh Riel wrote:
Fun

And when I retire and don't have to work for a living I'm going to be busking.

I had similar plans. However, after a few years of study and STILL feeling overwhelmed, I have given it up. I'm signed in here only because I am still have a vicarious interest in what others have to report.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
144 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2019, Dougini wrote:

Plus another thing. Politics. Everyone seems angry. One side or the other. I just want them to STFU, and relax. Enjoy some Magic! Not an easy task today...

Doug

I think this is why I do magic. From what I've noticed, working people seem to be more frustrated, tenser, and less humorful (initially) lately; not all of them, but more than you'd like or expect. People have so much going on to worry over, they crave any distraction; that's why people are able to get lost in their technology. News feels like a bummer. Work has become a perpetual grind. People worry about being sick because they can't afford medical attention. Social media is a homogenized echo chamber of filtered content. To me, there's this strange feeling of resignation and futility lingering in the American zeitgeist (I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I feel it here for sure), despite all the radical political activity.

Moments of shared wonder, amazement, and human connection are in such short supply, but they're things people want and enjoy, not all people, but enough. I would argue that for every person that doesn't like or have the time for magic, there's someone that does, even if they don't fully know it yet.

There are also so few human mysteries left out there for the folks that enjoy them. They crave something like magic. I think that's why they latch on to human curiosities like whatever Netflix serial killer documentary comes out, for example. It's something shocking and horrific, but it snaps them out of their mindset and lets them escape the grind and worry for a while with fascination. I think some of those people might prefer amazement to morbid curiosity. There are enough people that still want to see something amazing or mystifying, no matter how small and fleeting.

I do magic for them. I want to offer people a positive moment away from daily life that makes them feel something totally different and amazing. Those moments can make a big difference to certain people sometimes.
Magic sees Magic.
Together we make each other better.
Do something amazing today.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1911 Posts

Profile of Bob G
This is an inspiring and thoughtful post, Silversleights. We're undergoing a technological revolution with the internet, "smart" phones, personal computers, cell phone towers and communications satellites that can locate us, and on and on. Call me a child of the sixties (which I am), but I think that the new technology is isolating us from each other, and taking us even farther away from nature, which is a great sustainer of the psyche. Of course, lots of good is coming out of the new technology, like new medical procedures and the miracle of word processing. How did people write long novels without word processors?? Smile But my point is that part of the uncertainty comes from our not knowing where this revolution is heading. Meanwhile opportunities are opening up for women, gay people, and non-caucasian people -- all good -- but it's just another part of this unsettled period that we're in.

I'm not sure what you mean by *human* mysteries; I, personally, crave mystery -- whether in the form of detective stories, magic, science, math, or the amazing circumstance of simply being alive. There is lots of mystery in the world; each new discovery sheds light on old mysteries while bring out of the darkness new mysteries to wonder about. So I don't think there's any lack of mystery for those who are on the alert for it.

Anyway, I hope someday to get to the point where I can give a little of that mystery to people in the form of magic tricks, as you do.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Whats Your Purpose For Doing Magic? (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL