The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you describe what you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Do you go for psychological illusionist, mentalist, mind reader, psychic, etc?
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Pyschological illusionist. I can't see myself (due to my upbrining, lifestyle, mannerisms and general character) being able to convince my audience I'm psychic.
JamieDeep
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JamieDeep
I don't. I just do it.
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
In describing, merely someone who uses little known psychological skills that we all have, but rarely take time to fully develop. I think psychological illusionist is to all intents and purposes ©Derren Brown and so in my opinion is best avoided.

With mentalist, the public doesn’t have a clue what that means other than the possible crazy/zany/way out person as in David Brent’s comment in the ‘The Office’.

Nick
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Quote:
On 2004-05-26 08:41, Nick Ridge wrote:
In describing, merely someone who uses little known psychological skills that we all have, but rarely take time to fully develop. I think psychological illusionist is to all intents and purposes ©Derren Brown and so in my opinion is best avoided.

With mentalist, the public doesn’t have a clue what that means other than the possible crazy/zany/way out person as in David Brent’s comment in the ‘The Office’.

I absolutely 100% agree, that was why I asked this question!
amens
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of amens
My audience never knows. I once tried to explain it with psychology (as a lot of what I do is) and they didn't believe.

It was too real to them.

Indeed I say now that I developed my five senses to a quite special degree. The audience may understand and believe it—but is still astonished.
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
I think it all depends on how you present the pyscological illusionist. I don't agree it's copyrighted (sort of) by Derren Brown, since it is described by Banachek long before Brown came along.

However, I do think it stinks of Derren Brown when the mentalist does no research into the psychology part and just says I'm using suggestion. It just looks like a DB wannabe on stage.

However, if one reads all about tells, body language, pop. psychology, NLP, linguistics, hypnotics then he can carry the presentaton very well without looking like a DB wannabe, however, it does take effort!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3331 Posts

Profile of Looch
I tell 'em I went to Hogwarts.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
That's cute, looch! I don't say anything either, I just do it, I find that they end up labeling me someway or another, even witch!

Anabelle
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
I do what people like me have done for millennia of human endeavour to explore the limits of reality and the mind.

And I do it in earnest.

/Bamba
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
The Devil is what my wife calls people like us!

:)

NP
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
I think this is a very good question.

I always think that the magic/mentalism field is a lot like selling Amway or Timeshare, you really try to show or demonstrate the product before you tell them what it is.

However, if you want to be listed with agents, you need to have a title/description of what you do in order to be saleable. The agent tries to sell you to a client without ever having seen you in most instances, so I think it is critical to come up with a description/title that is unusual and interesting.

A lot of work is done in designing the cover of a book and the title. It is critical in successfully selling it. Same with us, if we want to sell our services. I think the whole package needs to be thought through.

I decided on the Chan Canasta description he used from the 50's—perceptionist—because I am using perceptional deception in a lot of my presentations.

Tom
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Luck and skill, mostly luck though.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2890 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I tell them whatever I feel like telling them. It all depends on my mood. Smile
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Entertainer. Period.

Sven
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Like Tom, I too think this is an excellent question.

As a mentalist, too often do I hear someone ask me to do a "trick" or be referred to as a magician. As I specialize in doing mentalism with cards, the problem is further exacerbated the moment they see me pull out a deck. The association of playing cards with magicians using sleight-of-hand "pick a card, any card" is very strong. So I have designed my opening with a succinct yet effective explanation of what a mentalist is and how we differ from magicians.

I explain why I'm using a deck of cards as they are familiar to most and that basically they are an ideal tool to demonstrate my "abilities." I go on to say that while I could use some other familiar items like say vegetables for example, that really wouldn't be very practicle. Carrying around a deck of cards is a lot easier than trying to stick a head of lettuce or a corn on the cob in your pocket. "Here. Pick a leaf, any leaf."

Finally, I explain that what they are about to see has nothing to do with card control, digital dexterity or any other type of manipulations and flourishes, and that fact will be quite apparent to them as my demonstration progresses. And it does since most everything I do requires none of that.

Finally, I say that they will not be able to use the sleight-of-hand rationale as a kind of mental crutch to explain away what it is they are about to see. And because they can't dismiss it away, what they are about to see will bother them and hopefully they will remember the evening's events for a very long time.

enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
This is a hard question in a world of people with many interest, and few tags to describe them.

The other day I did a reading for a “real” Psychic. A woman who “see” things an all that stuff. A nice woman, completely convinced of her own power. After we finished she gave me her card and told me: “I just cut out the part with my title, because people got very unconfortable with it.” Her title was, of course, “Psychic”.

I found that interesting because I know that a lot of people freak out with the word Psychic, but I get the same reactions with the word “MENTALIST”. Either people doesn’t have a clue, or they see you like if you are nuts. Some people even think that I made up the word! Anyway, very few times the reaction is positive.

So, as well as I will never call myself a Psychic, I neither feel confortable with the word “Mentalist”. (Besides, my work as a performer is broader than that).

I most said that, even with 99.9% of the people here at the Café will disagree, I feel that what I do is Magic. At least, I try to transmit to my audiences the feeling that I am “magical”. I understand that mentalists in general hate to be confused with magicians, but I respectfully think that this is because they are thinking on “magic” in a very narrow way.

I have found the path to understand in some way what I do by visiting Natural History Museums. There I found that “Magic Men” are present in every culture and every society, years before secular magic appeared.

A magicians is not a man who ask you to “pick a card, any card”, but a man who is himself the key that opens the door to a world of wonder.

Magic words, magic objects wich power derivates from storytelling, the cappacity to affect other people thoughts or see inside other people minds, that’s what magicians have been doing for centuries.

Maybe it will sound pretentious but, without losing my essence as an entertainer and an artist, and without entering in the fraud bussiness, I want to be a “Magic Man”. In fact, I feel proud everytime that someone tell me “you are magical”, like those medicine men, or shamans, or wizarsd wich objects, masks and clothes I see at the museums; not because I can “heal” someone, but because I can transmit a sense of wonder that is connected with our primal sense of mistery, with the survival of the spirit, and with life.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
EE,

I'm with you all the way!

NP
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2890 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-05-26 17:22, nathanpain wrote:
The Devil is what my wife calls people like us!

NP

Sounds like we married the same type of person. Smile
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I had a feeling you'd say that!

NP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you describe what you do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL