The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Are there more ways to arrange a deck of cards than the number of atoms in the universe? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ekgdoc
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of ekgdoc
I've told people that there are more ways to arrange a deck of 52 cards than there are number of atoms in the universe. Few believe me, but I believe it's true. The conditions I use for counting are (1) a face up card is different than a face down card (cards can be face up or face down), and (2) the order of face down cards matters (i.e., a different order of face down cards is a different arrangement). I calculate that the number of ways to arrange the cards under these conditions is (2^52) * (52!) = 3.63 x 10^83. According to a Google search, the upper limit for the number of atoms in the observable universe is 10^82. I find it remarkable that when you allow cards to be mixed face up and face down, the number of possibilities is so immense. I am hoping that someone can confirm my calculation.

David M.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3090 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
You should post this in the puzzle section. The smart math guys hang out there. I have heard that when a deck is well shuffled it is likely that no other deck has ever been in that same order.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2502 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Here's an incredible way to visualize 52!

https://czep.net/weblog/52cards.html
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3090 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
It is not really necessary to add face up and face down. 52 factorial is large enough to dazzle.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2826 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
If you google "the number of atoms in our galaxy" you'll find that it's about 1/3 of the way to 52! which is the number of ways to arrange the 52 cards in a deck. I used the reference Steven Keyl pointed to above in TESSSERACT to dazzle the reader with the incredible size of 52!.

SO 52! is not bigger than the number of atoms in the UNIVERSE. It's bigger than the number of atoms in our galaxy of two to four hundred billion stars. Our star, the sun, is about a million times the size of the earth. But check out Steven's reference. It's a mind blower.

Mike
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of dyoung
This is usually true, unless you see a Nine of Diamonds on the bottom. Then chances are they've been in that order before Smile

//Dan
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2826 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Good one Dan!
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
Dan’s quote usually goes over my head. I definitely think Juan Tamariz is smiling😀
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2826 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Both Juan and Simon are smiling!

Mike
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
771 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
No! More ways to arrange a deck than there are atoms on EARTH.
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2826 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Scott - do a google search on 52! and also on "number of atoms in the milky way galaxy." You'll see that there are more ways to arrange the cards in a deck (52!) than there are atoms in the entire galaxy of 200 to 400 million stars and all their planets etc.

Mike
ipe
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of ipe
What would a real mindreader do?
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2826 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
The reference above just says that 52! is bigger than the number of atoms in our solar system. Just do a google search on "the number of atoms in the milky way galaxy." The estimate is less than 52! This is an estimate. So it's correct to say that 52! is "in the vicinity of" the number of atoms in our 200 to 400 billion star galaxy. It's not the number of atoms in our sun or the earth or the solar system. That's not even close. It's off by a factor of hundreds of billions.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Are there more ways to arrange a deck of cards than the number of atoms in the universe? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL