The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ortiz's At the Card Table (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
For those who have read At the Card Table, does Ortiz teach any of the moves he uses in his tricks or is it understood that you know it all? I ask this because although it is a highly regarded book, as only a Card College 1-3 graduate, I don't want to be left on my own to fill in the blanks, so to speak. I'd rather not interrupt my concentrating on a trick, and have to go do research, to learn a move, in order to complete the trick. Especially a trick I am not sure I want to add to my list. Unfortunately my time is limited so I'm looking for the "easy" way out.

Thanks for your time.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Teddyboy,
Being a Card College 1-3 graduate makes you a very good magician if you master all the contents. You will have no problem to be able to follow everything in this Ortiz book. And anyway, any sleight is explained because all masters have their way to do everything…
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you for the encouragement. I have not retained everything I have learned but hopefully my muscle memory will kick in.

Hope Vlad is well.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Card College? Yikes.

Jumping to Ortiz is ambitious after this mediocre introduction.
Stick with the foundational texts.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I’m surprised and a little shocked by what Magicfish just wrote. A number of great contemporary masters praise those books. Ask to David Ben, Joshua Jay, John Carney, Juan Tamariz just to name a few, what their thoughts are about those books. And after more than 20 years of studying magic, I arrived at the same conclusion. This série is a wonderful way to achieve mastery and proficiency in performing artful card magic.

Of course, nothing is perfect, and we could discuss on the order of the different chapters, the choice of sleights and tricks…Having read Magicfish in other threads, I think he disagrees with Giobbi’s interpretation of classic books and he advises to stick to the fundamentals. But I think that card collège has achieved the fundamental status. And studying card collège with the older classic texts in the meantime is a great method, each one complimenting the other.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I agree. Well said.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Magicfish...mediocre? This is one of the rare times I will disagree with you. I think it's pure genius.
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
I would say go for it. It might be tough, but it will be a fun challenge.

From my recollection, mostly every sleight will be explained for you. If it's not, it'll likely be in Card College. I'm not about to pull out all those books and check the sleights for you, but I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2019, kShepher wrote:
Magicfish...mediocre? This is one of the rare times I will disagree with you. I think it's pure genius.

I was a bit harsh. Unfortunately I have a tendency to knock Card College at times. I think it is because I don't share the opinion that it is as great as many believe. So the contrarian in me overcompensates with stronger than necessary criticism. A personal flaw of mine I suppose.
I do like Card College and I read them and study them. They are wonderful books indeed.
My only caveat to the student is to read and study the items culled by Giobbi from their original sources. That way you avoid learning all these wonderful things strictly through Giobbi's interpretations, adaptations and refinements.
But yes my friend, they are better than mediocre. Thanks for the peer check.
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
If I do remember right Ortiz does teach every slight you need to perform his stuff. It is a really great book.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
That it is, Rodrigez, an excellent book.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
I just thought I'd point out that I have just reprinted this book. Copies just arrived from the printer yesterday.

If you would like to order an autographed copy directly from me, contact me at the email address below.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ortiz's At the Card Table (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL