The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Leaving the internet (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Magicfish, if you had the power to rid the world of either the internet or guns, which would you choose?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2019, karnak wrote:
Or electricity? Or the wheel?

Exactly. How many have died because of these inventions? Has to be far more than have died because of the internet.

The position is untenable and I doubt he will ever admit it.

What is my position?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Magicfish, if you had the power to rid the world of either the internet or guns, which would you choose?

Ron

Internet
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, magicfish wrote:
The internet is the worst thing to ever happen to mankind.
How is it worse than other things, such as fire, the lever, or gunpowder?

Whoa whoa whoa, you don't like the lever?
You think the negatives of the lever outweigh the positives? Wow cant wait to hear Danny tear you a new one for this opinion. Make sure you have hard, irrefutable evidence or your toast buddy.
; )
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He never said that. He only asked you how the internet is worse. Nice try though.

Yes God forbid anyone ask you for evidence of claims made. What was I thinking? No we should just hold random positions of things with no evidence. Good plan.

Your position has been CLEARLY stated, you just can't admit how ridiculous it is because of your ego. You refuse to admit you may have overstated the case and it is frankly hilarious to watch you keep trying to wiggle out of it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Overstate? No.
I will state it again.
In my opinion the world was a better place before the internet.
Do I have evidence?
If I had the time or inclination or the ego I might try to argue specific cases and try to convince you of something, but I don't, so I wont.
I respect your opinion without any evidence from you.
Petty you cant respect mine.
Ego indeed. The last word is yours.
Have a good day sir.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'd still like to discuss the lever Jon. Maybe another thread.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Then get off the internet! You can make YOUR world a better place. That is what Greg has done.

Naw never going to happen is it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Ron

Internet

Interesting, thanks.

So just so I understand, are you of the opinion that a PC running the internet is more dangerous than a loaded gun?

Ron
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
100%
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Certainly you are entitled to any opinion you like. Is there any chance you can back it up with any... oh I don't know facts or something other than just how you feel?

I do not want to denigrate your opinion. Your life experience has brought you to it and it is valid. You are not a fool or incompetent so your experience has brought you to this conclusion. I am just trying to understand what it is that brought you to that conclusion. It seems as if there may be a logical flaw or two at work.

If not then ok. No worries. Just trying to understand is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Easy to keep track once you know the steps...
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
100%

So is it fair to say that you be more comfortable leaving your 10 year child unattended for a few hours in a house with a loaded gun in full view on the table than you would with a PC logged in and connected to the internet?

Ron
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
100 years ago most folks had no electric bills to pay and not a one of those were ever killed from an electric shock. Today in the United States alone,
there are approximately 400 deaths and 30,000 shock incidents per year caused by electricity. But even with the bad that came with it, electricity has
changed how we live for the better. I sort of see the internet the same way. Certainly there are some bad that comes with it, but doesn’t the good
outweigh the bad? I think so.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody was ever hit by lightning?

As I said before old people have made this argument for a very long time. Heck the industrial revolution, automobiles, airplanes, the combine, or even as Jonathan mentioned the lever could be argued in the EXACT same way. As a matter of fact many did. (Maybe not about the lever.)

But to somehow claim that the dissemination of information is a bad thing is to miss the point of the internet.

And yes a Tom the first sentence is a joke.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
100%

So is it fair to say that you be more comfortable leaving your 10 year child unattended for a few hours in a house with a loaded gun in full view on the table than you would with a PC logged in and connected to the internet?

Ron

No. It is not fair to say that. That is a huge jump from your previous question.
Good attempt though.
Jeez what a horrible thing to propose.
This is getting strange.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
is not the same as:
Quote:

What makes the world worse now as compared to other inventions?

Levers and leverage may be a different discussion. Up to you.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
is not the same as:
Quote:

The first is an opinion and can be evidence free. The second sort of demands proof. Which is why I am guessing he backed off so far on the claim. To claim it is te worst thing in the history of mankind from someone who claims to like history so much is a big claim. It should be backed up at least some.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
100%

Ron

No. It is not fair to say that. That is a huge jump from your previous question.
Good attempt though.
Jeez what a horrible thing to propose.
This is getting strange.

I didn't "propose" anything. I asked a question in an attempt to assess your comfort level under different circumstances. It's not like I want you to go out and actually recreate the hypothetical.

Anyway, what did you think was "horrible" about what I said? Was it the internet part or the gun part? And I do agree - it is getting strange. Because I don't think my hypothetical is such a "huge jump" given your previous statements:

1) The internet is "the worst thing to ever happen to mankind."
2) You would rather rid the world of the internet than guns.
3) A PC running the internet is more dangerous than a loaded gun (which you emphatically stated as "100%").

Given that set of views, one would think you would have more distress leaving your child unattended in a room with a PC and the internet than you would with a gun. So which is it - would you rather leave your child with the internet or with a gun? Just trying to understand your priorities.

Ron
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
is not the same as:
Quote:

They are the same in that, in my opinion, they are both true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Leaving the internet (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL