The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Can you perform outside?" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Twice last year, (when I was still doing outside jobs) I started the show in brilliant sunshine and got showered on half way through. It's only takes the first spit of rain and that's it show over, My stuff does not get wet, period!. That's why I've clamped down on it this year and stopped it.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
The Ez Up makes a great solution to this problem. They easy to up (hence the name EZ Up) and they provide shelter for your props and you while you are performing. If you set up 2 you have cover for you and the kids.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I gather you mean the pop-up gazebos, B&Q do them about 70 quid a piece, sides are extra, 3m x 3m 2 man easy assemble things, the cover stays attached and you just pull the corners apart and extend the legs, Add the sides and you can have it up in less than 10 minutes. However they're only usefull if you have the time to put it up and take it down between shows and someone to help you do it.

I've got a couple of outdoor events this year, (I booked them before I put on a total ban on outdoor shows), and I'm buying one to use to perform out of, they will give me shelter from wind and rain and I can add a backdrop 1 third of the way from the back to give me a hideaway at the back between shows.

If it works I will then do outdoor fetes, but charge them a lot more to allow for the extra time & effort required to bring and set up the gazebo, (My own sheltered stage). I'd also do birthday parties in the gardens as long as they paid extra for me to bring along and set up my own sheltered stage.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I can perform outdoors and have done everything from Renaissance Festivals to street magic in Paris. But unless it's an outdoor event to begin with (such as a picnic with shelter), I generally shy away from performing outdoors. I have a different, bulletproof show for outdoor events.

The request usually comes from parents booking a birthday party. I explain my reasons with a smile in my voice - after all, my job is to help them make their party the best it can be. Here are the reasons I give:

- Too many distractions
- Outdoors means "running around" to kids, so they are less likely to understand that they must sit still for a show
- Humidity and wind mean I can't do my best material
- Sudden storms in summer can ruin the show for the kids
- Uninvited strangers can wander in
- If it is too hot and/or humid, some kids may get sick
- Bug bites

And this year, here in Maryland, I had the best reason of all: CICADAS. These locusts appear every 17 years, wreak havoc and, at their peak, make a loud hum that sounds like a UFO landing - and is as loud as a jet engine. Since people move in and out of the Washington, DC area often, I had to explain to many parents just what the cicadas were. In every case, they thanked me at the event for steering them in the right direction.

Back to the point (and I do have one): There is no need to volunteer for a bad venue. As Renee Lavand says, create the best possible performing situation, because the client wants the best from you, and you want to be able to do your best.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Kyle wrote: "Many of the houses I work at for birthday parties are small houses and the customer needs to have the party outdoors because of limited space problems. If I can offer a fun show that can be done outside, I am providing a solution to one of their problems. "

Absolutely, seems all of the birthday parties here are either at a pavilion/park, or in the backyard. My only request is shade. I place a frozen bottle of ice in my rabbit travel carrier and ensure he is in the shade.

I love daycares and am doing my best to book/hook these.

Wayne
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi with workin outside I have to change my routine just incase its a bit windy as a bit of wind can ruin a whole effect,

Ricardo The Magician
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-05-26 16:02, Astinus wrote:
I figure if we are getting paid to do a show, we are in no place to make demands....they should be making the demands.

I agree. The performer should have solutions, not contribute to the clients problems. A "no-can-do" performer is negative, which equals "not very entertaining" in the mind of the prospect.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think if you tell them what you need then they respect you for it rather then go along with it and you do a bad show. you are the proffesional at the end of the day.
Matt
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
For birthday parties I have an indoor and an outdoor price. This usually brings the show indoors. For fairs, festivals, etc. the higher fee being paid makes up for the inconvenience.

I feel you have to be compensated in some way for the outdoor factors: wind, rain, muddy grounds, extreme heat, terrble angles, uneven terrain, distraction factors, etc.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Just yesterday I did a family show outdoors and it went beautifully.
At the direction of the hostess, the audience was seated on the grass (facing the sun; not something I would have done myself) and there was plenty of shade for all of us.
Best of all, the show was done on a deck, facing the audience that was raised about one foot.
Plus the weather was perfect -- sunny and not too hot.

But, as everyone who has done this knows, that is the exception to the rule!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
That's right peter, if you could garuntee perfect conditions everytime it would be OK. But once you've had a show spoilt by a sudden unexpected downpour on what was a beutiful bright sunny day, you soon learn not to take many chances.

Alan yes your right we should have solutions to the problems. mine is to tell them that we have to do the magic/games indoors and they can feed them outdoors so the mess stays out there. If they don't want to do that and insist on having the party in the garden I turn the job away.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Ultimate Magic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ultimate Magic
Hi Mikael

It really does depend on what the ocassion is, birthday, fun day, BBQ for adults? I perform card and coin magic, D'Lites, Pen Through, the list goes on as long as the prop wont BLOW AWAY!! I perform Walkabout using 6 Axtell Puppets. great fun for young and old alike outside, try them! Oh! and balloons! Just think of the fresh air!!! Relax and enjoy the show! Variety is the spice of life.
d.hope
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Since the mainstay for my magic performances for years and years was Renaissance Faires and other outdoor arenas I built a show accordingly. I did five shows yesterday, all out of doors and all with the threat of rain imminent. I think that if one is frequently asked to perform outside it would be advantageous to construct an act which would allow one to do so. It really isn't all that difficult and the guerrilla aspects of outdoor perform serve well to sharpen ones presentational skills. I have an outdoor act that can be performed completely surrounded and in a variety of terrains and weather conditions mmainly because the venues I performed in required me to do so.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
This summer in the uk we have had days filled with a spell of bright sunshine, interrupted by sudden heavy showers. If you live in a part of the world where the weather is more predictable it wouldn't be such a problem. But if your in someones garden and it suddenly rains, everyone has to rush indoors, you have to throw your stuff back in the box and move it all indoors, by the time you sort yourself and the kids out you've just about run out of show time. So the booker gets a short show, and if you do have time to continue you have to get the kids attention back. I'd rather not take the chance of the show being ruined.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Well, for the past couple of months I have had the chance to do quite a few birthday parties outside. I have no problems with that. What I am carefull with, howerver, is to make sure that my illusions are not the type that will casually blow away during the performance. A second thing wich I believe is very important, is to make sure that the children have plenty of shade over them. There is nothing worse than having kids get sunburned because they watched the magician for a full hour under a scorching sun!

Have a good day!
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I also get a lot of calls for outdoor shows and basically I do my regular show with a few adjustments:
1) limit the show to 20-25 mins
2) steer away from silks or cardboard-type effects that need to be put on a staand 9and susceptible to winds!)
3) try to ensure that at least the kids are not facing the sun (But I am, unfortunately! )
4) ask the host to provide some kind of mat or large towels to sit on so the kids don't get 'antsy' (literally!)

You may want to look into Brian Flora's audio and video called 'Playing the Outdoor Show) it has a lot of 'workers' tips on this kind of venue!
http://www.floraco.com

Although we may find these shows uncomfortable, I think as professionals we should be able to adapt our act to suit the venue (and not the other way around)>
Anyway, this is my personal feeling based on my exeprience in HK; I hope I haven't offended those who feel otherwise on this topic!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
And yet another outdoor show this Saturday on 9/11.
We have cooler weather this week and I thought it would last through the weekend.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
141 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
In warm weather people want me to perform outside. It is not my first choice, but I have created surround proof wind proof Magic routines for this. I I have built shows for this purpose. I even had to perform in the rain. For that, I have had to have my rain proof Magic ready to go.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
That’s absurd.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2305 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On May 22, 2021, vincentmusician wrote:
I even had to perform in the rain. For that, I have had to have my rain proof Magic ready to go.

I pride myself on being willing and able to perform in almost any conditions, but rain is where I would have to draw the line.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Can you perform outside?" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL